What grips for a 3" SS GP100 .357Mag with Adj. Sights?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MG-70

Single-Sixer
I've had this revolver for a while, haven't shot it, but have occasionally admired it. The rubber Hogues with finger grooves that it came with fit my large hands just fine but look absolutely disproportional and overly large for the 3" barrel. I've owned a 3" half-shroud GP100 with the fixed fight that sported the small factory wood-insert grip and it suited that revolver, but I'm thinking this one would look and work best with the larger factory rubber grip with inserts, or the Hogue rubber grips that come on the .44Spl GP100 (which look very similar in shape to the grips on the S&W Performance Center Jerry Miculek 625).

I wasn't able to find any pics that would answer some of the questions below.

1. In terms of size, how do the ".44Spl GP100 Hogues" (Model 80010) compare to the ".357Mag GP100 Hogues with the finger grooves" (Model 80000) that came on the gun?

2. In terms of size, how do the ".44Spl GP100 Hogues" (Model 80010) compare to the Large factory grips with inserts?

3. The cheapest I could find the complete large factory grip was at MidwayUSA, but it comes with the newer redish laminated inserts, of course. Can anyone tell me if refinishing the laminated inserts is as easy as a regular wood insert, or if no matter what is done, there will be remnants of red or maroon stain between the layers of wood? If I bought them, I'd attempt a darker gray finish.

The other option is to buy the factory grip parts separately at Midway and look for inserts elsewhere. The Hogues are the cheaper, faster, option, and I have no problems with Hogue grips, whatsoever, having had them on many guns.

Assuming you have nothing better to do, which of the options above do you think would look and work better on the 3" adjustable sight, stainless, .357Mag GP100?

Thanks in advance and a great weekend to all!

hittman

Staff member
For me, the factory Ruger compacts.

6y9JqgTh.jpg

jimd441

Blackhawk
Mine (6 in. stainless) came with the rubber Hogues with finger grooves which I found to be very ugly and didn't fit my not too large hands. I replaced those grips with the larger factory grips with inserts which are quite comfortable and attractive. That is my recommendation.

Jim

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I'm also all about the factory compacts on the three inch guns.
Here's a comparison of compact and full sized on 3"ers.

414198041.jpg
414198040.jpg

But I get them from Alatamont. Their rubber has a little texture in the back that looks kind of cool.

Scroll about 1/2 way down.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/gp100/

The compacts use the SP-101 inserts so sky's the limit on what you choose.

wagsfn

Bearcat
I took off my Wiley Clapp GP100 the larger stock grips and went with the factory Ruger compact grips. I also added Chigs Grip inserts with the Ruger medallion. Very pleased with this combination.
jUbnVjsl.jpg

choirboy

Bearcat
Take a look at Chig's Grips. You can get the large or small rubber grips, pick a set of the gorgeous inserts he offers, and still spend less than the standard Ruger grips cost. I'll try to load a picture of my GP with the compact grip.
PS if you order the compact grips for the GP let Chet know when you order so he can relieve the panels for the GP pin.
chigsgrips.com

https://imgur.com/a/ct24XV3

CB

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Thanks again for the suggestions! Some gorgeous burl panels on Chig's site! For now, I've decided to install some factory large grips with the older Cocobolo (?) panels that I had in a spare parts box for one of the three GP100s I've owned in the past.

In searching the internet for pics of grip size comparisons, I came to conclusion that I may need to buy a 4.2" Redhawk in .44Mag, even though I thought I had that caliber covered by a 5.5" stainless Bisley that I never shoot.

Is Ruger still putting the Billboard warning on the left side of the barrel on new GP100s? I noticed my 9X19 SP101 has it neatly stamped on the bottom of the extractor rod shroud.

The GP looks much better than with the oversized Hogues, but I will be refinishing the panels at some point.

Cheers!

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pachmayr makes a grip that would seem to be good for your GP100. Too bad they don't make the Compac or Compac Professional for it; those would be perfect.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/pachmayr/handgun-grips/revolver-grips/diamond-pro-series

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
Pachmayr makes a grip that would seem to be good for your GP100. Too bad they don't make the Compac or Compac Professional for it; those would be perfect.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/pachmayr/handgun-grips/revolver-grips/diamond-pro-series

I like the old school Pachmayrs, and have/had them on various Smiths and even a Python years ago. They look perfect on a 3" model 64/65! With that said, the ergonomics of the Hogues are generally better. The one that came on the 3" GP100 was simply too big and most likely made for the more powerful caliber Redhawks. I won't be shooting it any time soon, as I only have a box or two of premium .357Mag left, but for now, the factory Large GP grips look absolutely perfect, and feel just about perfect.

Thanks for the reply!

BDM1

Single-Sixer
Good looking guns and grips. I have had great success with Altamont grips.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
MG-70, when I first obtained my stainless fixed sight GP100 3 "bbl years ago, I wasn't too cool with the small grips that were used on the fixed-sight guns. Tried some after-market rubber baby buggy bumpers and didn't like them either! Tried a set of the longer grips as used on the fixed sight GP100 and like magic......perfect! No, my small grips are not for sale. Some day the person who winds up with my GP might want them!

MG-70

Single-Sixer
Colonel Daddy said:
MG-70, when I first obtained my stainless fixed sight GP100 3 "bbl years ago, I wasn't too cool with the small grips that were used on the fixed-sight guns. Tried some after-market rubber baby buggy bumpers and didn't like them either! Tried a set of the longer grips as used on the fixed sight GP100 and like magic......perfect! No, my small grips are not for sale. Some day the person who winds up with my GP might want them!

My apologies for the delay in responding. Other than perhaps improving the finish on the wooden panels, they were bought from GPC and look to be varnished or something, I'm very happy with how the grips feel and look.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

wagsfn said:
I took off my Wiley Clapp GP100 the larger stock grips and went with the factory Ruger compact grips. I also added Chigs Grip inserts with the Ruger medallion. Very pleased with this combination.
jUbnVjsl.jpg
Wow! What a good looking gun! Makes me want to run out and buy one!
gramps