what grain ammo do you prefer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Carltonian

Bearcat
Hey guys, New to the forum and i'm loving it. Well i've got the classic, kp345, it's my baby. i'm wondering what grain of ammo you all prefer and why? i'm currently bouncing between 185 +p and 200+p. have some 230 hydra-shok but i'm ehhh on them..theyre awesome rounds but after learning about grains weight and speed effect i have shelved them temporarily,

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I generally prefer somewhat heavy-for-caliber loads. In .45 acp that means yer basic 230 grain load. Like everyone, you'll find your niche...possibly more than once.

Carltonian

Bearcat
good stuff...i just like the fact that my 200 grain +p is as equally effective as a 230 it just gets there a little quicker...

Spikess

Bearcat
I know it's mostly a matter of personal opinion, but I've never cared for +P loads, particularly in .45 acp. Whether it expands or not, it's still a "big ole bullet" when it arrives on target.

I've always varied my carry loads according to the gun. I had a Star PD and liked to use Cor-Bon 160 grain standard velocity JHP to keep the recoil down. In my 1911 I prefer the Remington 230 grain Golden Sabre s. v. In my S&W 625 revolver I load WWB 230 grain JHP and in my SIG P220 I like the Remington G.S. 185 grain s. v. But my usual practice load is WWB 230 grain FMJ.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I'm certainly impressed by the 185 grain Plus P. It produces energy equal to most .357 loads and greater than some. Personally, however, much of the attraction of the .45 acp to me is a big bullet (caliber and weight) with lower pressure at moderate velocity with moderate recoil, noise, and flash. FPE ranks much lower on my list with this caliber than it does for the .36 caliber .357. They all work.

I also prefer the 230 grain. With either a lead bullet, or FMJ, the bullet doesn't have to "perform". Nearly a half-inch hole, with 230 grains to keep pushing, is what made this bullet effective, long before the rocket-science HP's were even thought of. And, didja ever have to modify a feed ramp so it would feed ball ammo?

But, to each his own. :wink:

WAYNO.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I'll take penetration over expansion every day. In SD shooting, much like hunting, the bullet has to reach the vitals from any angle to accomplish the job at hand.

With a 45, expansion isn't necessary to create a large wound channel. A heavier bullet at modest velocity will penetrate better than a lighter bullet at higher velocity. It's the same principle that make rounds like the 358 Winchester, 35 Whelen, and 45-70 so effective as hunting rounds.

The only real advantage to higher velocity is a flatter trajectory, which is a mute point at normal handgun ranges.

Having said all that, I'll take 230gr bullets for my 45 ACP loads.

Glasstream15

Bearcat
The .45 ACP made its reputation on 230 gr ball ammo. It works. That bullet is moving at around 600 miles per hour and it weighs over 1/2 ounce. It makes a large hole and it takes a while to slow down so it goes deep.

I use WWB 230 FMJ for range and WWB 230 JHP for carry ammo. I'm pretty much using the same round for range and carry. That works too.

Those +P rounds will give a snappier recoil, possibly delaying getting back on target for a follow shot. It may only be a tenth of a second or so, but we're talking life or death here. And those hot loads will definitely put more wear and tear on the gun. Just another one of the advantages of using the original 230 gr low pressure load. Yeah, those lighter, high pressure bullets get there faster. measured in milliseconds

Go with what is comfortable to you, but think about all the effects of using heavy bullets, generally recommended,, or lighter, faster bullets.

Carltonian

Bearcat
ok..well guys...you all have given me a new perspective on ammo. glad i asked before going out and spending a gillion shillings on some shells. and yes a big ole bullet is a big ole bullet no matter how fast it is moving.