what do you think?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Here is a perfect example of what can be done

Serial # 144 with a pair of my Ivory Grips. This gun if you remember looked like it had been through a fire when I got it. and with a little help from rugerguy it looks like this.

144%20024.jpg

Dan

chet15

Hawkeye
Tucsonite":3dn30rxg said:
For as long as I have been collecting Rugers there has been alot of parts swapping by those I would consider Experts. If you have a little wear on your ERH well just get it reblued It then makes that 96% gun a 98% gun. I cant tell you how many guns have had this done to them but I know I have changed my share of gripframes over the years, Does that affectthe originality of the gun? Hmmmmm.
Dan

I.M.O., yes! Put a reblued ejector housing on a gun to make it "better", and to me you have a gun with an ejector housing without original blue...which again to me, is the same as having 0 original blue on that ejector housing, or worse than having a gun with just a little wear on the end.
Changing grip frames can also be an issue, because they are also different. Certain markings on the grip frame were only used during certain periods of time, there being two different types of XR3 grip frames and 3 different types of XR3-RED grip frames used during the OM era.
I know what you are saying Dan, and you are right, it has been done by many.
There are a lot of "faked" Indian Clovis Points out there too, and not much difference between a $10,000 original piece or a $20 modern day replica.
Its just me, but I prefer the originality of things. There are far less questions and headaches about originality down the road.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Tucsonite":vyx6w5yp said:
Here is a perfect example of what can be done

Serial # 144 with a pair of my Ivory Grips. This gun if you remember looked like it had been through a fire when I got it. and with a little help from rugerguy it looks like this.

144%20024.jpg

Dan

Well, this pretty much proves my point. $500 pair of ivory or $1,400? In the ten minutes of the next generation as Hawkeye28 puts it, nobody will know the difference. Grips is grips, eh? :?: :?: :?:
Chet15

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
The Ivory grips cannot be mistaken. the panels were almost 1/2" thick at the top. drilled and glued the medallions in. If somebody buys them as the real deal they really need some books.

Dan

Good points, but still flogging a 'dead horse' as we all know, and what the gist of this topic was, the grips, and condition of the gun in question, was asked by Mikey..........and obviously we ALL have our own opinions....and its all been hashed over and talked about and it still all remains "hearsay" ( or as I like to say about ALL the authors, " a story worth telling, until someone else comes along and writes another one..... :roll: ' I too cannot call the guys we talked with , Walt H and Jack B and others :"Liars" they too were THERE and have told a "story". many times to many of us, back years ago........right Splitz? as I said when I did my 'cutaway ' project' with help from the factory and some of the folks there at the time, they told us things too...but I am NOT an author, I trust what they said and put it away in the 'thought banks'...and yes it comes up many time over the years...too bad some of these new guys were NOT able to sit and talk with the MANY Ruger folks of the past.....but back to the question, the early days, things were NOT made in "mass" , the tool rooms , made up LOTS of stuff to be used in "production...and I agree, until they got the bugs out, the proper "look/location" they better have used some sort of jig...I know ALL of the grip makers do and Ruger threatened some of them over the years to "cease and desist" their installing of "medallion in their grips, wanted them to be "licensed" ( money paid ) and there were LOTS of makers and they all did it the way it worked for them , and sold "grips.....how many "samples" or makers sent grips to Ruger for "consideration"....how many 'sold grips "after the fact" ( aftermarket)?? for the Ruger guns out there ,new on the market in 1954..........no, I do not want to consider it ANY kind or type of argument, but just be realistic, and we all know, Mr Ruger did NOT write things, down, he told his people to do this and do that , and they did, or were GONE, and they all had comments to say about the "old man".....yes, he was indeed a legend,but sadly, for the most part, speculative and subjective, because of this "lack of documentation........." hell Im' glad and happy JD came up with LOTS more info, to "confirm some of this, but it still is NOT , nor will be the "final story......."mistakes still made and things not found.

Now as for "integrity" that too is very "iffy" for the most part, if someone has ANY item that is theirs and they want to make it "nicer" or restore it , or customize it.....thats THEIR business ( and yes, after owning 3 different gun shops and getting "paid": for this, I made money keeping these folks happy...now, what they do with it, and this is the "trouble" ( issue) is what deems things troublesome........you do it to "make money, perpetrate a fraud, hoax and fakery.then thats bad, and yes can be illegal, ask Larry Wilson, he went to prison for this.........now you swap out a housing, or any parts to display your guns, make them look better, thats YOUR business...as Dan says and Splits, those moments ( or years down the road...) caveat emptor baby, you better know what your buying, looking at and if its "right"....our grandchildren will be "fighting over this stuff....." it is Ruger lore.......
To me, its the things we saw over the years of "folks" pulling the wool over others eyes, purposely 'making "variations" , altering to screw someone ( and some of you know full damn well who we are talking about), thats the sad ,"lacking integrity" as Chad points out.........you are all 'grown ups' if you have the money, and YOU like something and YOU want to buy it, then go for it.......just remember,do your homework, buy the books, learn what it is you are getting your self into....and even the best of us have gotten burnt and fooled over the years, nothing new there, so as I said, I would NOT put a LOT of money into something that maybe "doubtful", so if I say it again, its the same thing over and over...

chet15

Hawkeye
Well, Walt Howe's still with us.
Walt Sych is still with us.
I believe Rex King is still with us.
And the man I've been talking to is still with us.
Chet15

Last time I talked with Jim Hoobler, he said he was "back east" and saw Walt sitting out on his front porch...man, I would love to get up on the porch, set a spell and just "listen" to him talk......when them guys were "working"...... I was a Boy Scout :roll:

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28":2a574ufa said:
I simply love a good discussion! All of this and previous postings and photos, needs to be put into print. :wink:

True, but with the discussion here, it doesn't seem that too many folks are going to use the info to their benefit. Time will tell, we'll see.
Chet15

As a relative "newbie" to this place, all I can say after reading this thread is that I would NEVER think of buying a set of ivory or stag grips under the assumption they were "genuine" parts, even if I could afford the prices involved.

:shock:

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
So lets review what has been discussed

1. Ruger Stag & Ivory had medallions installed in the factory
2. few verifiable sets are available.
3. Some sets have been counterfieted, how many is unknown
4. Read the books and learn what you are looking at.
5. Dont pay too much :D

Really don't see anything new here, Every November in Tulsa there will be a few sets show up for sale. They are well picked to peices by the gallery - Yea or Nay. some are bought and some aren't. I agree that you must know what you are looking at, and sometimes get the help of another before you decide if you want to pay the price. But to ultimately say because you cant verify from the factory they might be Fakes is just plain "the sky is falling" chicken littleism.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Dan

radicalrod

Hunter
Gosh maybe the prices will come down :D :D :D .....one can only hope..... :lol: :lol: :lol: please send all unwanted stag to CASH FOR STAG AND IVORY....operators on duty 24 hours......800 42 CYCLE for your personal shipping container :roll: :roll: :roll: see ya RR.

chet15

Hawkeye
Tucsonite":2u39via0 said:
But to ultimately say because you cant verify from the factory they might be Fakes is just plain "the sky is falling" chicken littleism.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:
Dan

But therein lies the question....$150 or $500?; $300 or $1,400? I don't think its chcken littleism, but its a sad fact that theres a lot of em out there right now that can fool anybody, and they're not worth the lower end of those price figures I.M.O.
Its not me that has to worry about it though.
:wink:
Like I said earlier, this info probably isn't going to make a bit of difference anyway.
Chet15

americal

Hunter
After this great posting 8) 8) I will say I have 3 single sixes with what I hope are ruger factory stag grips :) I learned A lot :!: :!: thanks Americal

Latest posts