What do you expect from your LGS?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
1,639
Location
over the hill from Preskitt
Continue from the "CRACK" thread.

Bottom line for me is if I'm going to buy locally and probably spend a little more to do so I EXPECT some level of service over what I can get if I buy a gun or whatever online, by phone, etc. If I buy a brand new gun and it goes click instead of bang on the first shot or 100th shot I'm going to that LGS for help. Talk of paperwork, low profit, used gun, etc. is respectfully just static. The guy is in the gun business and that is all part of it and if he can't deal with the "occasional" problem and keep a happy customer then he needs to rethink his chosen profession. I feel qualified to state this because I spent almost 20 years with my own small retail business with my name up on the sign. I'm amazed at the low expectations of decent service some people here seem to have. If the LGS won't step up and help you with a problem with a brand new gun he just sold you why would you buy from him and not online or elsewhere? Has the recent run on guns and ammo made all these guys this arrogant??

Please enlighten me!
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
Agreed on all points Armed !

I think a lot of the arrogance comes from dealers in left leaning states that want it to seem like they're doing you a favor selling you a gun.

I won't tolerate that OR patronize them.

REV
 

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
1,709
Location
Milwaukee Wisconsin
I would love great service from my LGS. I cannot find it. I have a few stores that are great before the sale IF you get the right person to help you. After the sale your SOL and have to deal with the manufacturer. The exceptions are Cabelas and Gander. Both will take guns back if there is a problem. But with those two stores it is impossible to get anyone intelligent to help you. So if I need help which is not often I go to LGS and hope the gun is ok. If I know what I want I go to Cabelas as Gander's prices are insane and know I have a little extra protection should a problem arise. The deciding factor is still price. Most times LGS is the same or slightly more than Cabelas. I am not loyal to either place as neither Cabelas or LGS offers full service.
 

tmeeks

Bearcat
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
65
Location
Wichita,Ks
I would like to go to the local gun guys but there just as over priced as gander. The only thing I guy from the local guy is handguns, if not gander price matches anyone in town.
 

96/44

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
551
Location
Minnesota
I guess I'm spoiled, but when I walk into my favorite little gun shop, it is like Norm walking into cheers. The owner has always gone the extra mile to find a special order, or to help with a problem. He's not the cheapest, but it is a small price to pay to deal with someone who is genuinely knowledgable about firearms, and cares about his customers. This is what I expect, I also expect to pay a little bit more for it.
 

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
1,639
Location
over the hill from Preskitt
96/44":2uehcqm2 said:
I guess I'm spoiled, but when I walk into my favorite little gun shop, it is like Norm walking into cheers. The owner has always gone the extra mile to find a special order, or to help with a problem. He's not the cheapest, but it is a small price to pay to deal with someone who is genuinely knowledgable about firearms, and cares about his customers. This is what I expect, I also expect to pay a little bit more for it.

Nice. Doing business the way it used to be.
 

Tweek

Bearcat
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
22
Location
Michigan USA
ArmedinAZ":j6rtg4zl said:
If the LGS won't step up and help you with a problem with a brand new gun he just sold you why would you buy from him and not online or elsewhere? Has the recent run on guns and ammo made all these guys this arrogant??

Please enlighten me!

I know full well that while my LGS is good to me, he is not, nor does he employ a gunsmith. He is not authorized to repair any firearms per factory warranty.

The paperwork is not just static, to do an exchange he would have to essentially buy the gun back from me, fill out another 4473, do another NICS check, and I, in Michigan would have to send the registration paperwork to the local LE.

So basically, the best he can do for me is the footwork of sending it back for me, which I'm sure he would do if I asked. It would add a variable into the mix of me having to call him, and believe whatever he tells me when it's not done in two weeks. Not that I think he would feed me some BS, or let it sit on his shelf a week before sending it, but I've seen enough of that to know - if you want it done right....

What other 'help' would you expect from him?

Anything other than a firearm, I know he'd swap me a different one off the shelf in a heartbeat.
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
9,154
Location
Greenville, SC: USA
But in reality how hard would it be for the LGS person to say... they sold you a lemon and you bring it back in a week... they even try it out and agree.... just hand you another gun and take back the old one?

It is just paper work and possibly a phone call... yes, it is time and some money but that is what they are partly in business for.... to do government paper work. Does a back ground check call actually cost them money? If so, they are making even more off of me because they don't need one when I buy a gun in my state.
 

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
1,639
Location
over the hill from Preskitt
Tweek":24ux5rfj said:
I know full well that while my LGS is good to me, he is not, nor does he employ a gunsmith. He is not authorized to repair any firearms per factory warranty.

The paperwork is not just static, to do an exchange he would have to essentially buy the gun back from me, fill out another 4473, do another NICS check, and I, in Michigan would have to send the registration paperwork to the local LE.

So basically, the best he can do for me is the footwork of sending it back for me, which I'm sure he would do if I asked. It would add a variable into the mix of me having to call him, and believe whatever he tells me when it's not done in two weeks. Not that I think he would feed me some BS, or let it sit on his shelf a week before sending it, but I've seen enough of that to know - if you want it done right....

.

First, nobody ever said they expected the LGS to make the repair inhouse.

Thanks for explaining the rules in your state. It illustrates why there are different expectations in different parts of the country and how interworld arguments get started. In Arizona you fill out a form and the LGS makes a call. 10 minutes later (if you don't have legal problems) you're out the door with your new weapon. With a concealed carry permit, no phone call even!

So you can't understand what the big deal is to have to send in a NIBB (new in box busted) gun and I can't understand why you'd put up with the lack of LGS support.
 

sparks701

Bearcat
Joined
Mar 27, 2009
Messages
95
Location
Illinois
Well Lgs close to me only gets my business for their range, they act like I'm bothering them if i ask a quest. God forbid you ask to see a gun from the allmighty glass case where they have to actually bend over to get. The last gun I bought was from Buds on line, and I let them know it, not to mention i saved a ton of money. I don't mind paying a LITTLE more to help keep their doors open, but I would like a little effort and help if needed, with a smile on their face would be nice also. Untill then, screw em.
 

Tweek

Bearcat
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
22
Location
Michigan USA
ArmedinAZ":3kg5yhr1 said:
So you can't understand what the big deal is to have to send in a NIBB (new in box busted) gun and I can't understand why you'd put up with the lack of LGS support.

I have complete confidence that my LGS would take care of it. I understand that they would be doing the same thing I would be doing, and if I do it, it leaves fewer variables in the mix. That's all.
 

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
223
Location
Where I-80 & I-35 meet....
sparks701":1wo74moe said:
Well Lgs close to me only gets my business for their range, they act like I'm bothering them if i ask a quest. God forbid you ask to see a gun from the allmighty glass case where they have to actually bend over to get. The last gun I bought was from Buds on line, and I let them know it, not to mention i saved a ton of money. I don't mind paying a LITTLE more to help keep their doors open, but I would like a little effort and help if needed, with a smile on their face would be nice also. Untill then, screw em.


amen... mt LGS is only open Tues-Fri, 12-5.30 pm. WTF? That is worse that bankers hours! I have a Bass Pro Shop just up the street which is cheaper, open when I am off work, and is happy to assist me with my purchases. know they are the WalMart of guns, but hey... that's not really a bad thing.... I love to support local business, but so far my LGS hasn't impressed me.
 

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
305
Location
omaha NE
I work at my LGS. I started working there when I wanted to learn miore gunsmithing. Some costomers we will persionally epair the guns they purchased from us and some get sent back to the factory. It all depends on the problem and the manufacturer. Some makers have a mno questions asked we will fix it problem. Some its like pulled alligator teeth just to get them to even talk to you. Steve
 

Latest posts

Top