What do I do next after shooting a dog in self defense?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I have one stupid neighbor who had the habit of walking her irish setter and pit bull through the development with out a lease (which the housing association rules require). I pulled in my driveway after work and got out of my car and was instantly charged by these 2 dogs in my driveway 20 feet from the sidewalk. My Smith and Wesson 44 Magnum was drawn and I was lining up the pitbull for a Federal 180 grain hollowpoint. She started screaming and yelling not to shoot her dog. To which I replied " a dog attacking someone in your yard is defending your property and a dog attacking me in my yard is dead. If I ever see these mutts in the yard. I will shoot them without a word. Understand?" After this incident, she still walks the dogs off leash but does so on the other side of the street and keeps them close to her passing my house.
As someone who was raised on a farm where we bred Arabian Horses and Hereford cattle, Any dog or group of dogs on our farm that looked like they were going to harass the livestock got immediately shot from the .308 I kept in the barn. We had a front loader on the tractor and the dog was buried with in 10 minutes. We had many problems with feral dogs dropped in the area as we were about 50 miles from the closest big city. We did not want to lose a $20,000 foal (1970 dollars) from a hungry stray.

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
I have one stupid neighbor who had the habit of walking her irish setter and pit bull through the development with out a lease (which the housing association rules require). I pulled in my driveway after work and got out of my car and was instantly charged by these 2 dogs in my driveway 20 feet from the sidewalk. My Smith and Wesson 44 Magnum was drawn and I was lining up the pitbull for a Federal 180 grain hollowpoint. She started screaming and yelling not to shoot her dog. To which I replied " a dog attacking someone in your yard is defending your property and a dog attacking me in my yard is dead. If I ever see these mutts in the yard. I will shoot them without a word. Understand?"
did you shoot any kids walking on your lawn?

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
I have one stupid neighbor who had the habit of walking her irish setter and pit bull through the development with out a lease (which the housing association rules require). I pulled in my driveway after work and got out of my car and was instantly charged by these 2 dogs in my driveway 20 feet from the sidewalk. My Smith and Wesson 44 Magnum was drawn and I was lining up the pitbull for a Federal 180 grain hollowpoint. She started screaming and yelling not to shoot her dog. To which I replied " a dog attacking someone in your yard is defending your property and a dog attacking me in my yard is dead. If I ever see these mutts in the yard. I will shoot them without a word. Understand?" After this incident, she still walks the dogs off leash but does so on the other side of the street and keeps them close to her passing my house.
As someone who was raised on a farm where we bred Arabian Horses and Hereford cattle, Any dog or group of dogs on our farm that looked like they were going to harass the livestock got immediately shot from the .308 I kept in the barn. We had a front loader on the tractor and the dog was buried with in 10 minutes. We had many problems with feral dogs dropped in the area as we were about 50 miles from the closest big city. We did not want to lose a $20,000 foal (1970 dollars) from a hungry stray.
What did your neighbor do when one of those horses or cattle got in THEIR garden?

Dimitr

scammer
call the cops and call animal control and maybe give the owner of the dog some snacking.

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
Jack Ryan and Shoot to thrill, there is a BIG DIFFERENCE in a horse or cow in your garden, a child on your yard and a dog trying to eat you up!!! GET REAL!!! Y’all are TROLLS!!!
gramps
yes there is a big difference about 1500 lbs. ever try to move a horse away from a place that didnt know you? I had many people I know who have been kicked with serious damage and bitten by horses including a gf I had. so knowing this and using your logic I should be able to shoot a horse on my property cause it might kick me. I rather get bit by a dog then kicked by a horse

volshooter

Buckeye
S, dude get back on your meds!
Your posts are irrational even for a redneck like me. I only have the pleasure of coming here a couple of time a year. I don't find your posts offensive, just stupid.
This is a nice place. Please take your crap elsewhere>

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
S, dude get back on your meds!
Your posts are irrational even for a redneck like me. I only have the pleasure of coming here a couple of time a year. I don't find your posts offensive, just stupid.
This is a nice place. Please take your crap elsewhere>
I dont care what you think and I am glad I offended you . only a druggie would say go back on meds cause you cant function without them

volshooter

Buckeye
Read my post. I"m "NOT" offended.
Perhaps you should rethink your post.
Obliviously you are not worth my precious time on this forum.
Good bye. I won't fuel your problem with any more posts.
My ability to listen/put up with trolls is very short.

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
Don’t hesitate to use the “Ignore” feature!
If the mood strikes ya.
I dont know what I said to set him off. I just said horses bite and kick people and he went mental on me. I never attacked anyone here or used foul language

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
Jack Ryan and Shoot to thrill, there is a BIG DIFFERENCE in a horse or cow in your garden, a child on your yard and a dog trying to eat you up!!! GET REAL!!! Y’all are TROLLS!!!
gramps
Opinions vary, mostly it depends if it is YOUR horse or YOUR garden.

One thing for sure though, if you love your animals, keep it at home and save EVERYONE the problems.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
What did your neighbor do when one of those horses or cattle got in THEIR garden?
Never happened in my whole life, probably because my father had my brother and I checking the fence every week. The livestock was too valuable not to take care of.

Last edited: