What did Wyatt Earp use

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fez

Bearcat
Ok all you history buffs.What tools,cleaners and lube were available to Wyatt Earp to clean and lube his sixguns? :?:

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
He used sperm oil, the real McCoy from the whales, not the modern version from the Jojoba plant. Both are superb lubricants, all but the equal of anything today.

kerosene, maybe alchohol ( wood burning or other...) and gingham ,maybe wool flannel, then used lots of elbow grease........sperm whale oil........
all this goes back to 'wyandot jims' era,before MY time..... :roll:

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Arisin' Wind great response...and of course Wil Terry...milkin' them whales for the 'sperm' oil musta been a -itch, but...you'd will the $15,000 prize for the x-rated version of America's Best Home Video. A trade off to be sure...right up there with my own, "Shooting Skunks While on Horseback" soon to be released on U-tube. I'm hopin' for the big bucks. Rodfac

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Wyatt would have been shooting Black Powder. The traditional way to clean up Black Powder fouling has always been with hot water, maybe with a little bit of soap added. And it doesn't take all that much elbow grease to clean up after Black Powder either, the fouling melts right off with some hot water and rags. Trust me on this, I shoot a LOT of Black Powder.

By the 1880s when Wyatt was cleaning up Tombstone, the whaling industry was in serious decline and mineral oil was quickly replacing whale oil as a lubricant.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'll stand with Will Terry's response. Only because he and I have burned powder together and shared a few Shiner Bock's over the years......

:D

flatgate

fez

Bearcat
Ten thousand comedians out of work and have found a home here. :lol: But seriously thanks for the responses.It is interest to know what came before.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Ya gotta' like Wyandot Jim's "concoction"! When I get to "Heaven", I'll personally ask ole' Wyatt what he used. If he's not there, then one of you "other" guys can ask him!.....................Dick :mrgreen:

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Yep...and Ed's Red is good stuff. I find that I get less leading using it and it's cheap....Rodfac

Latest posts