What did I have?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bogus bill

Hunter
About in the mid 1970`s I bought a "interesting" used single six. It dated back around about 1957? It didnt have the flat gate, but the round one. The gun had a 5 1/2" NICKLE finish. It had a beautiful set of stag`s with the Ruger medallion. I was pretty sure it had to been a customized gun even though it was a fine job and as nice as the factory could have done. Also the hammer spur was smooth of any checkering. I knew it was possible the stags could be factory but in that era I also read Ruger never nickel-ed a gun.
I had a close friend that said he shot fast draw competition at Big Bear in the 1950`s and he claimed he seen either my gun or it`s twin as a prize.
I either sold or traded it off at a gunshow. I might have made a big mistake?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No mistake. It certainly wasn't factory and especially with no serrations on the hammer spur. Because it may have been given as a prize is really irrelevant to it being factory original. And if you liked it, you can replace it by having any Ruger nickeled.

There are 9 early Chrome plated single sixes (not nickel) but they were flat gates with black anodized grip frames, and not shipped out to the general public. A few others have been reported but not correct or authenticated.

contender

Ruger Guru
Hondo is correct,,,, but as with all Ruger collecting,,,, "never say never.

Superior Plating was very close to the Ruger plant. Some folks think that there were other guns nickle plated. Add in the flood that damaged many of the early records, there is always a possibility. BUT,,,, the mods to the hammer & if the g/f was nickled or polished,,, more likely been done after it left the factory.

bogus bill

Hunter
Thanks. About what I thought. Just thought some might find it interesting. I have another about the same year that's close to new looking. (On top).
The bottom one is in .32 H&R Mag.

bogus bill

Hunter
I bought my first Ruger, a convertible single six 6 1/2" barrel in I think, 1961 or 1962.
I shot it probably as much as I have all my handguns since. Unfortunately that one was stolen back in 1968. The old single six above looked new in the box although sold as used, I bought it about in 2001? Still can pass for new. I once had a new Hawkeye in the box, 256 mag. Bought that one in 1967 and did shoot it and reload for it. Loved that cartridge. I then had a Martini built up in it plus I have a TC contender barrel for my contender in it. Would like to have a 92 Win converted to one. Had to sell the Hawkeye years ago to help pay a divorce lawyer.
I also have this Lipsey special in .44 special.

Latest posts