What did I do after I retired?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Retube. Scaling, pitting or tube sheet to tube issues? Ever notice there is never enough room to work on boilers?
You are right about never enough room to work on a boiler! We have one so called engineer with a lower case e because he ain't no real Engineer who thinks water testing and treatment is a waste of time and money. The tube sheets are good but there is some pitting and scaling because they are 50 year old boilers. They could use some new controls and an overhaul of the fuel trains but they are decent enough boilers that do the job well. The summer boiler on the other hand is a piece of junk that should be scrapped. It's a Unilux "O" pattern 300 horse water tube boiler that can barely make enough steam to heat up a cup of tea. I wish they would get a Cleaver Brooks Ohio Special to replace it

I'm actually a Sheet metal Worker by trade and a welder/welding inspector by specialty. 38 years was enough for me. It was a pretty wild ride. I had 30+ certs including 2 that I created that were qualified before I got my CWI. I did Human Genome Services where they cracked the Genetic Code, Laboratories where they take things that can end mankind and screw with them. Every now and again I worked a Nuke. Once my kids were older I started doing nukes. I would work one/skip one so I wasn't abandoning home completely. I thought there was a law somewhere that you couldn't do QC within 1,000 miles of home. Then by some miracle I got the Chief QC gig for a new powerplant 20 minutes from my house. My favorite thing was when the fitters would call me out to buy a crappy fittup. I would look at them and ask How Flying Fing Sad is it that A Sheet metal Worker has to explain the Standards of Pipe Fittup to you!!! A year and a half later I transitioned to another one 25 minutes from the house. I didn't want to go to Bahrain for the next one so I padded up my Sheet metal pension with a few years of 60+ hour weeks before calling it quits when they started talking about making me pay some Starbucks Baristas College Loans for their Doctorate in Navel Gazing. FTW let it burn.

You are right about never enough room to work on a boiler! We have one so called engineer with a lower case e because he ain't no real Engineer who thinks water testing and treatment is a waste of time and money. The tube sheets are good but there is some pitting and scaling because they are 50 year old boilers. They could use some new controls and an overhaul of the fuel trains but they are decent enough boilers that do the job well. The summer boiler on the other hand is a piece of junk that should be scrapped. It's a Unilux "O" pattern 300 horse water tube boiler that can barely make enough steam to heat up a cup of tea. I wish they would get a Cleaver Brooks Ohio Special to replace it

Ever go to any AWT conferences?

I retired 10 years ago, just before my 66th birthday. For a couple of years I did "stuff around the house," but also launched into a 6-month build of a custom doll house for a granddaughter. Great therapy.

I am a "project" person, not a "process" person. So I get bored if I do the same thing over and over. That makes me look for new challenges.

Over a 3-year period I built up a 2002 Corvette, taking it from bone stock to a 725hp street machine, but at the same time installing a custom leather interior and killer navigation/stereo head unit powered by a 1,000 watt amp. I did all the interior work myself, without any help. I just sold that car because I'm too old to handle that powerful a car.

Another project I took on for 2 years was as a volunteer for a newly formed veterans counselling service. We provided, at no cost to the veteran, advice on the many "no cost" services that the federal and state governments, and the private sector offered to veterans. If a veteran walked in and said, "my family and I need a place to stay while I try to get a job," I'd respond by saying, "OK. Here are three places who will give your family no-cost housing for up to a month." Next, I'd say, "What type of job are you looking for?" If you don't know, here are two groups who can help you figure out what types of jobs best suit your skills and desires. Let's schedule a time for you to visit with them, right now on the phone." Then, "Do you have a ride to that counselling appointment? If not, then let's schedule a ride service to pick you up, take you there and get you back home." "Do you have enough cash to tide you over until your first paycheck? If not, we can advance you funds (that you promise to repay) for enough time to get you started." The list goes on....That was very rewarding work. I also planned a breakfast meeting for the mayors of every city in our county, plus state and federal elected representatives, at which we disclosed our services and requested the attendees' help in communicating our services to the public. Very successfull results. Finally, we planned and executed an annual golf tournament at a cooperating private golf course, and the proceeds from all green fees (as well as sales of donated silent auction items) went to our organization to pay our rent, pay for computer and related office items, and fund veteran needs. Our first year fundraising efforts netted $100,000.

Then I got bored again...on to more "around the house" stuff, plus the occasional building of an AR rifle or two and the refinishing of wooden pistol grips.

Now I'm on a health kick. At retirement I weighed 225 lbs. At 5'9" I was fat. So I began a healthy diet regimen that I still follow. I'm at 165 lbs and looking to get down below 160. Just 'cause.

The next challenge awaits. I may go back to college to learn conversational Spanish (a necessity in Texas these days), andperhaps get a masters degree in education. I want to help a willing school district design the curriculum for teaching high schoolers about personal finance - a skill sorely lacking in today's high school and college aged kids. I think the mental challenge will be as good for me as for them. We'll see.

I work out at my gym at 5 am every day and walk my 4-legged buddy a mile every morning. The rest of the morning is spent reading about how awful our political system is, then whining about it on this and other forums.

375supermag

Blackhawk
Seeing all the posts about boilers, I wondered if any of you had any experience with York-Shipley boilers.
I worked for them for nearly three decades.
I didn't build them...I worked in the warehouse supplying parts and running the receiving department.

Retirement is on my mind. I have a few more years in the workforce as long as everyone can be nice to each other. Health and finances and the big factors. I get excited thinking about it and enjoyed reading this thread. What will I do?

Bill
IMG_20221006_121924952.jpg
IMG_20190526_180255961.jpg
IMG_20221229_152253319.jpg
IMG_20170617_140622007.jpg
Playing with my tools.

The only boilers that I have had experience with are the black liquor recovery boiler in paper mills.
One was adding more fuel gas guns and tertiary air to an operating BLRB. This took place in July in AR and it was HOT in the boiler house. Also a couple of times we had to haul arsh because they almost lost control of the boiler. NOT GOOD with a BLRB.
This was a B&W project and my duties were to design the relocation of existing piping, design new pipe routing and locate new and existing equipment plus the supervising the mechanical contractors.
The other project I was involved in was the installation of a new BLRB Facility for a Paper Mill. I spent 6 months in an Engineering Office of our contractor in NC while they did the design of the BLRB Facility. My duties were to approve design for the constructability for our Construction Team and to confirm our contractors schedule met our construction schedule.

Most all of the rest of my career was spent designing of the mechanical equipment locations ( which is what sizes the facility), routing of piping systems, and coordinating all of the other design departments.
These projects consisted of Gas Plants, Refineries, Offshore Drilling and Production Platforms which resulted in out of office assignments in both the US and foreign locations.
One project I really enjoyed was the Iranian Platforms that our US Navy BLEW the sh!t out of during the Tanker War. My company did the design and construction for the rebuild of that facility.

The 42 years was a pretty good ride. I got to see a lot of the world, Pyramids Of Giza, Coliseum of Rome, Great Wall of China and the Ming Tombs all in 1 year and paid for++:)

Before Good work Boys:)
US-MdAnUSNI-085039005.jpg

After
content_dam_os_en_articles_2013_09_injection_increases_oil_production_at_salman_offshore_iran_leftcolumn_article_footerimage_salman.png

OK a little backstory I have worked for the same company for 34 years. I've been in a variety of jobs with the company during those times and the last four years or so has been a regression instead of moving forward in like career - getting to the age of retirement, and lately, my work parameters were changed to include some things that I was not happy with and in fact I flatly refused to play along so the choice was made not play their silly little game's . They can take of the machines or work that I have been doing or maybe going through the work without me. No matter to me😁 I put in my retirement for mid March, but was asked to extend it through the first part of April. we have a amical dissolution and I spent the first month after retirement fixing things around the house, help with the granddaughter and children and dog, and have had my hands full with just those things that you have let slide behind when you're more focused on things like work . I still have Many more things that need to be done but I got this hankering for something to do just for me, a sorting through my Morgan's, looking at the fire arms directions I've been leaning toward, and seeing if there's anything there I have interest in—- but not at this time. Might want to collect a couple of more GP 100s or something a little special in the old model class but nothing that really strikes be as motivated right now to find a direction I would like to explore for a set variety or type. Lately by golly there's been just whatever strikes by fancy at the time without any rhyme or reason. So I'm trying to spend time with minor remodeling to get a bathroom fancied up a bit, but that doesn't really count. And I would love to have my sons work, he manages a power sports business. Lol they have all kind of things that are fun, like motorcycles that I would love to get into again, they would have one of those Can-Am motorcycle franchises And also the slingshot and of course the standard four-wheel-drive off-road ATVs and boats and more kinds of boats. They got the big boats and in a little boats they've got pontoon boats they've got jet skis they have got fishing boats for Crappie white perch, bass boats they got fiberglass boats they got metal boats , they have ranger boats they have Xpress boats and they have the G 3s which I got to look it up Nice G3 17 footer with a 70 hp motor on the back seems to be about the right thing. Then we got to talking & got to look at the different things I could do, and the fact that I'm not as stable as I used to be in a small little rocky boat so with that being said, the best thing for me to be in was discussed many times.And over three days it progressed to the point that I am now the proud owner of this little guy

View attachment 21094

Well put it in the water next week for its maiden voyage. 😋😋😋😋😋😋View attachment 21095

YIPPPEEE
I read this whole post before replying. I retired from hospital nursing in 2014 due to the inability to suffer FOOLS any longer. When management won't back you up you are screwed anyway. I am on a Volunteer Fire Dept, I also am a Medical First Responder. I have a small boat, and planned to fish, but there isn't enough time. I kayak more now. I have 6 acres that I mow periodically. Fence rows to maintain( only deer and rabbits, armadillo etc. now). My Jack Russell and I walk 2-5 miles daily to stay healthy. I shoot when I want. Reload when I have to. Traded a gun plus ammo(hard to find .45 Colt)for a lawn tractor the other day.
I don't think you can tolerate fishing. Too long sitting still! Lol Good luck!
gramps

Seeing all the posts about boilers, I wondered if any of you had any experience with York-Shipley boilers.
I didn't build them...I worked in the warehouse supplying parts and running the receiving department.
I have never worked with or on a York Shipley boiler before. I am young enough to learn if I end up where they have one or several! Actually I am at probably the last place I will work until I do finally pull the plug. The one place did have a Y-S Deaerator and it was a dependable unit. I took a 19 year old apprentice this morning for a tour of 2 Powerhouses after we had breakfast with a master plumber. He was here visiting his grandma and it was a good opportunity for him to see some things he might not see otherwise.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
When I went to work at a maximum security prison I was sent to sensitivity training with a retired Boilermaker who hired on as a welder. He was asked "how do you view inmates"?... He asked "whadda ya mean how do I view 'em"? " I look at 'em with SCORN! They're fookin' convicts ain't they "?

I am sure plenty of you guys can relate. We were a better country when we had crusty bastards like that instead of the woke snowflakes we are dealing with now.
Convicts are a breed all of themselves. I worked in a factory with mostly uneducated people that had a chip on their shoulder for anyone with a degree, ESPECIALLY someone with an Engineering degree. But, they were not felons.

My approach was to ask everyone's opinion before I proceeded with any project. Naturally, I would do it the RIGHT way, but simply talking to them made all the difference in the world as far as them accepting the upcoming changes. Sometimes I even followed their suggestions and gave them credit in the end.

Maybe treating everyone with respect, convict or not, might make life in the institution go more smoothly.

Ride1949

Hunter
For me it hasn't been a question of what I did after retirement. I now wonder how I ever had time to go to work before I retired.

Yep, I retired in 2011 and worked as much, if not more than when I had my business. I spent more time in the shop, but I was doing fun stuff for myself. More time carving and made some special pieces of furniture for my wife. I also took on a couple of remodels, until I destroyed my shoulder. I'm re-retired now and plan on staying that way.

I read this whole post before replying. I retired from hospital nursing in 2014 due to the inability to suffer FOOLS any longer. When management won't back you up you are screwed anyway. I am on a Volunteer Fire Dept, I also am a Medical First Responder. I have a small boat, and planned to fish, but there isn't enough time. I kayak more now. I have 6 acres that I mow periodically. Fence rows to maintain( only deer and rabbits, armadillo etc. now). My Jack Russell and I walk 2-5 miles daily to stay healthy. I shoot when I want. Reload when I have to. Traded a gun plus ammo(hard to find .45 Colt)for a lawn tractor the other day.
I don't think you can tolerate fishing. Too long sitting still! Lol Good luck!
gramps
Try running a trolling spread. Never a dull moment untangling lines

ned

Single-Sixer
Last time I tried to retire I ran out of money and imagination at almost the the same time…working or not working, either is good as long as you don't let the rocking chair get you

I'm into my third year now. I have noticed one unfortunate thing. I have had more illnesses since I retired. I blame it on the fact that I'm NOT around as many folks. Working in many different facilities, including a number of hospitals, exposed me to mose stuff, I think. Nos of the maladies were serious, except the covid, but they are irritating to say the least.

On the plus side, all of my long term stuff has improved. Sleep, and eating better along with more actual exercise is probably the reason.

I have to admit when I see that a caller is a former customer I get sort of excited. Sometimes they are just checking in, but most of the time they've got a problem I can get into. I do miss trouble shooting, it makes one think.

Blazenet

Single-Sixer
Ben???
Small world... I worked at Y-S in the early 80's

Ranger

Single-Sixer
I'm a few / possibly several years from retirement yet; but am thinking it through. If I wait until 67, my pension + social security would be more than I make now... I need to make enough in retirement to pay loan payments and bills and for improvements i want to do around property. I'll need to stay busy. Thinking about taking up woodworking a bit, making handgun grips, and maybe some minor gunsmithing on cheap guns too. I don't want to wait too late though as have had some colleagues not live long enough to enjoy retirement.

I know some who aren't retiring because they like their jobs and... aren't sure they could stand that much together time with their spouse.

I knew one guy who retired from a very good job at a power plant (big pension). Saw him a few years later helping customers at a farm store. He said he couldn't stand staying at home and not doing something. Took that part time job and loved working there.