What did I do after I retired?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OK a little backstory I have worked for the same company for 34 years. I've been in a variety of jobs with the company during those times and the last four years or so has been a regression instead of moving forward in like career - getting to the age of retirement, and lately, my work parameters were changed to include some things that I was not happy with and in fact I flatly refused to play along so the choice was made not play their silly little game's . They can take of the machines or work that I have been doing or maybe going through the work without me. No matter to me😁 I put in my retirement for mid March, but was asked to extend it through the first part of April. we have a amical dissolution and I spent the first month after retirement fixing things around the house, help with the granddaughter and children and dog, and have had my hands full with just those things that you have let slide behind when you're more focused on things like work . I still have Many more things that need to be done but I got this hankering for something to do just for me, a sorting through my Morgan's, looking at the fire arms directions I've been leaning toward, and seeing if there's anything there I have interest in—- but not at this time. Might want to collect a couple of more GP 100s or something a little special in the old model class but nothing that really strikes be as motivated right now to find a direction I would like to explore for a set variety or type. Lately by golly there's been just whatever strikes by fancy at the time without any rhyme or reason. So I'm trying to spend time with minor remodeling to get a bathroom fancied up a bit, but that doesn't really count. And I would love to have my sons work, he manages a power sports business. Lol they have all kind of things that are fun, like motorcycles that I would love to get into again, they would have one of those Can-Am motorcycle franchises And also the slingshot and of course the standard four-wheel-drive off-road ATVs and boats and more kinds of boats. They got the big boats and in a little boats they've got pontoon boats they've got jet skis they have got fishing boats for Crappie white perch, bass boats they got fiberglass boats they got metal boats , they have ranger boats they have Xpress boats and they have the G 3s which I got to look it up Nice G3 17 footer with a 70 hp motor on the back seems to be about the right thing. Then we got to talking & got to look at the different things I could do, and the fact that I'm not as stable as I used to be in a small little rocky boat so with that being said, the best thing for me to be in was discussed many times.And over three days it progressed to the point that I am now the proud owner of this little guy

IMG_0097.jpeg

Well put it in the water next week for its maiden voyage. 😋😋😋😋😋😋
IMG_0099.jpeg

YIPPPEEE

Last edited:
What did I do after I retired? HMM, 'retirement' didn't last long the first time--2 years to the day before I began a second career(?). I've given notice to the agency that I'm retiring/resigning in November. I'd planned to stick it out until 72 years old but just too many SNAFU's for me to tolerate any longer.
No boats/RV's/sports cars for me but I'm giving thought to updating my planter to a bigger, easier to transport model(about the same $$ as one of the afore mentioned items).

krw

Blackhawk
Noticed you live in Alexandria, You have lots of good fishing around you!! Put Livescope on front and work on those Crappie. I have never regretted buying my bassboat. When you go fishing and never have to glance at a watch, thats a really good day.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I agree about the fishing without a watch.
But you will be surprised the first time you wake up forgetting what day it is.
Retirement is the biggest threat to the calendar. Enjoy the freedom 😎

When I retired almost 10 years ago I did worry about how I would fill my time. It turned out not to be a problem at all. Most mornings I spend drinking coffee, participating in online forums like this one, and taking the two dogs for an hour's walk. Then its time to shower, dress and get ready for the day. After lunch in nice weather I go for a motorcycle ride, or take my wife out in the convertible for a nice ride. And for the last year or so I have been a volunteer with a hospice organization where as a veteran I visit fellow veterans who are at the end of their days. This volunteer work doesn't really take up a lot of time but it does make me grateful for being relatively healthy and certainly not facing the end as the patients are. Add to this the babysitting my wife and I do for our two youngest grandsons and life stays quite busy.

4896worker

Bearcat
What ever you do do it now . Travel what ever we are one injury or illness away from not being able to do the things you want to. I retire from an industry that has a high cancer rate and heart issues . Seen to many guys my age 63 or younger get the creeping crud and die never getting to have fun in retirement.

I have been retired for 18 years.
Just remember that a week now has 6 Saturdays and a Sunday. You know it's Sunday when the FAT Paper comes. ;) ;)

Good for you Retirement beats the hell out of working:)

I retired at the end of 2015 for my 2nd run at cancer. After treatment and a couple of months idle I went back to work. I worked there for a year and walked out rather than throw some idiot who I caught sabotaging equipment off of the 6th floor roof. I did a bunch of small consulting jobs and then had my 3rd bout of cancer which so far has been the worst. In January of 2018 I started with my current employer and have no intention of leaving until the cancer center tells me that I should not work anymore. I was working part-time weekends and on call for a couple of other places when a full-time position came open. I currently work straight afternoon shift Monday through Friday and love it. I had a 4th run at cancer in December and went back to work in January. I love my wife dearly but a month of Hallmark Channel and the talk shows was more than enough. As my cousin Lenny used to say.... My work is my pleasure....

I can't forget what day of the week it is because I have to wake up at six to take my grandson to school each day.

Coach, the 70 hp was on the G3 and when I looked at the Express H 20 Bay it comes standard with a 115 so that's the way I decided to go.
So far my day consist of getting up to take my grandson to school coming back and having a cup or two of coffee while I watching fishing shows on TV then go outside and work in the garden or on the car. Then at 2:30 go pick him up from school and then in the evening cook dinner. Right now my granddaughter and her one and a half kids are staying with me. Her husband is in the army and currently is out in the field doing exercises for the next three weeks.
So far, it's never a dull moment

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...
I retired five years ago.
Horrible decision...all I do is work around The Estate(wife keeps me busy with chores), walk the dogs(Labs are demanding), go on gun shop tours(surprising how many guns I have bought since I retired), reload ammunition, shoot my guns at the gun clubs, go to gun shows and auctions, study military history and paleontology(have my own rather extensive library) and provide transportation for my youngest daughter who lost her drivers license. Sometimes when I have some free time I watch baseball on TV.
In my spare time, my son and I go to an occasional Baltimore Orioles game or airshow.

I had more free time when I worked for a living but I ain't ever going back into the work force...don't have the time for a job or the inclination to deal with workplace politics. And I don't need the money.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I retired in 2006. Still sort of miss being on job sites smelling the ozone from welding, and hearing the clang of steel drop offs. And the sound of back up alarms. But then.........

I do what I want to when I want to or not do anything at all. Had a few good, really good, years with my wife, then Nita died almost one year ago.

Still, there is life to be lived, and I do have a couple of nieces who include me in their lives and a wonderful church family with whom I share time. My church family really is closer to me than my actual family. And, I do spend time, maybe too much, on forums such as this and on Face Book. I know many here knock FaceBook but I've even learned some things there and found many Ruger afficiondos there.

So, I have no one to share a lot of stuff with, but life is still a blast. And even after, it'll be better!

Bob Wright

I retired in 2006. Still sort of miss being on job sites smelling the ozone from welding, and hearing the clang of steel drop offs. And the sound of back up alarms. But then.........

I do what I want to when I want to or not do anything at all. Had a few good, really good, years with my wife, then Nita died almost one year ago.

Still, there is life to be lived, and I do have a couple of nieces who include me in their lives and a wonderful church family with whom I share time. My church family really is closer to me than my actual family. And, I do spend time, maybe too much, on forums such as this and on Face Book. I know many here knock FaceBook but I've even learned some things there and found many Ruger afficiondos there.

So, I have no one to share a lot of stuff with, but life is still a blast. And even after, it'll be better!

Bob Wright
20230512_153311.jpg

Bob I am sorry to hear about your wife Nita. My 1st wife Lori died 9 years ago tomorrow. I figured you guys might like to see our project at work now. We have the Boilermakers in retubing one of our 500 horse Cleaver Brooks 4 pass boilers. There is almost a mile of tube in one of these boilers. So for the weekend I have steaks marinating for the grill and my wife Joan and I are going to enjoy our picnic pavilion. Life is Good!!!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
View attachment 21129
Bob I am sorry to hear about your wife Nita. My 1st wife Lori died 9 years ago tomorrow. I figured you guys might like to see our project at work now. We have the Boilermakers in retubing one of our 500 horse Cleaver Brooks 4 pass boilers. There is almost a mile of tube in one of these boilers. So for the weekend I have steaks marinating for the grill and my wife Joan and I are going to enjoy our picnic pavilion. Life is Good!!!

Now that is interesting! What is the boiler used for, other than to boil water, of course. I got sort of an introduction to boilers and boiler feedwater in soybean processing plants, where steam is necessary as a source of non-flammable heat.

Bob Wright

Hi Bob, the steam here is for kitchen, sterilization and heat trace lines. I have 2 chillers running right now and 6 autoclaves cycling. 3 of the autoclaves are for surgical instruments and 3 are large enough to sterilize a full gurney. We have 24-7-365 operation here and all utilities must be available at all times. This includes 5 diesel generator sets which I also monitor and maintain.