What caliber should I buy next?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scott

Single-Sixer
All this talk of new calibers on this forum has me wondering what my next "dream gun" should be. I'm pretty stuck on a Blackhawk and I really like the idea of a convertible, but am wondering whether I should look for the .357/9mm or the .45 Colt/.45 Auto next. I currently shoot a lot of .22/.22mag, .380 & 9mm, and would like to add a "big gun" to my collection.

So give me the pros/cons of .45 vs. .357 convertibles.

I'll also say that I'm really stuck on the stainless SA revolver with 4 5/8" barrell - that would be a perfect big brother to my single six. Give me the pros & cons of that too!

tek4260

Buckeye
If you reload, get the 45, if not go with a 44. As far as the convertable goes, I'd skip that option in the 45 and put the extra money towards a good 1911.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
If I were you I would go for a 45 colt convertable or not. They are quite nice guns that shoot like a dream. It's a gun that will suit anyone the normal factory loads are mostly mild. Because of the 45 colt pistols made by colt aren't as strong as the blackhawk which will handle a lot hotter loads. You can find some factory ammo like buffalo bore and others that are loaded hot and are awesome loads. The 45 is so versatile it's amazing you can go from mild to wild with offered ammo or reload and taylor your ammo to your needs. I really enjoy shooting the 45 and have 5 different 45 pistols now. They are great.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
tek4260":39svh8rr said:
If you reload, get the 45, if not go with a 44. As far as the convertable goes, I'd skip that option in the 45 and put the extra money towards a good 1911.

I agree with the quoted post except with respect to the 45 Colt/ 45 ACP Blacxkhawk converitble simply because it offers yet one more option.

I am a reloader and I load most on my 44s, 45s, and 45 ACP rounds to roughly the same bullet weight & velocity (240/250/230 grain bullets @ ~950 fps) because that'll handle 99% of my reasons for a sidearm.

My Blackhawk and Bisley Vaquero do not have 45 ACP wheels for them, but I'd consider it "handy" if they did. My 45 autos are Kimber, Para Ordnance and Glock.

Any way I look at it, I see more 44 magnum firearms, more factory ammo and more reloading components on the shelves in more stores than 45 Colt by FAR.

YMMV.

bigchillymn

Bearcat
If you are stuck on the SA Stainless, with 4 5/8 barrell. I would go with the 45. They are discontinued, but you can still find new ones at a decent price.I just picked one up and it is a great gun.

Raspy

Bearcat
I'm thinking about this too.

Aren't the 9mm bullets about .002 smaller than the .357? I've read that accuracy of 9mm in a .357 is not that great, but I have no experience with that myself.

It seems the 45LC and 45 ACP might be better because the bullets are closer in size and the gun is designed for a large caliber. The whole gun might be more fun to shoot with the larger slower slug. Also, the 45 ACP is a very plentiful cartridge.

I want one too, and am thinking the 45LC, 45 ACP is the one. I like the idea of shooting an ACP that I already am familiar with from my 1911.

John

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
I've owned both the Blackhawk .357/9mm and the Blackhawk .45 Convertable. I'd go with the Blackhawk .45 Convertable over the .357 Convertable hands down any day of the week.

If you reload, you'll have much more fun with it since you can use many different kinds of bullets for it.

Raspy

Bearcat
tek,

It sounds like you would rather reload a 45 than a 44. Is that right? I don't reload either one but I'm curious as to why that is.

I'm also confused at how a 1911 would satisfy someone that wanted to shoot a 45 caliber SA.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Raspy":f7otmaer said:
tek,

It sounds like you would rather reload a 45 than a 44. Is that right? I don't reload either one but I'm curious as to why that is.

I'm also confused at how a 1911 would satisfy someone that wanted to shoot a 45 caliber SA.
Without putting words in tek's mouth, I think he means that you can actually buy .44 (mag) caliber ammo, whereas trying to find commercial .45 Colt can be both frustrating and expensive. It's (likely) not that he prefers loading .45 to .44, just that you pretty much have to reload .45 Colt if you shoot it a lot.

BTW, a 1911 is a 45 caliber SA. Just a little different. :lol:

-- Sam

tek4260

Buckeye
I am speaking of heavy loads mainly as far as reloading, and of course price. While neither the 44 or 45 factory loads can be considered cheap, the 45 is especially high for the level of performance you get. I cast and load for both 44 and 45(and several others). As far as convertables go, I can load and shoot light 45 Colt loads for about the same money as ACP and be a bit more accurate to boot. I have not had good luck with the accuracy of 45 ACP in the convertable. My 1911's shot circles around the convertable. To the point that I sold it and bought another 45 Blackhawk.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Seems like .45 Auto accuracy is a bit hit and miss in the convertibles. I happened to get lucky and get really good accuracy out of the auto. However, I haven't used the .45 auto cylinder since the first month or so I owned it.

Now, you didn't mention what you intend to do with it or your type of shooting, etc. Where the .45 auto cylinder comes in handy for me is when my niece takes it for a spin. She can pick up boxes of .45 Auto pretty cheap and still shoot a big revolver.

But as Tek mentioned, loading a light .45 is about the same cost as loading a .45 Auto. If I were just thinking about my own personal use in an ideal world, it makes sense to put the extra cost toward loading supplies or a 1911 if you don't already have one...

But I already got that .45 auto cylinder and it ain't for sale... :wink:

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
I quite agree......everybody ought to own a .45 Blackhawk (convertible or not) AND a good 1911 in .45 ACP.

I enjoy reloading and shooting for both and can't imagine life without them.

Of course, I own several .44 Magnums and .44 Specials too and enjoy them just as much.

Hardly ever shoot the .357 anymore.....don't even own a 9mm.

Scott

Single-Sixer
Wow, lots of good food for thought in a hurry! Ruber, I'd be kinda like your niece - would like to be able to blow a bunch of rounds through a big gun for not a lot of money to increase competence in a larger caliber firearm. I don't (and don't plan on starting) reload, and most of my shooting is in my backyard, shootin' paper/beer cans/ etc. However, I do occasionally use my guns for practical purposes - hunting, putting down large animals humanely, and I am ready to protect my family/property if needed. As for a 1911, that probaby will be a ways down my wish list - Really think I want another revolver next. A big reason for being interested in the convertible is simply to be able to shoot a wider variety with fewer $'s outlaid. That's what I love about my single six.

So....as of now, I'm lookin' for a .45/.45Auto convertible. Please keep the opinions comin'

Well Scott,
If you are thinking about one of these. All 45s :lol:
1255193470-1.jpg

Ya better think about one of these. :lol: You can load a 45 the same as a 38 but ya can't load a 357 the same as a 45 :roll:
CIMG3521-1.jpg

EDK

Single-Sixer
MY next buy is probably going to be one of the stainless bisley convertibles in 45/45ACP, 5.5 inch barrel. I like that length and the bisley grip frame and have plenty of leather to fit it. I've got a lot of 45 brass and moulds from my "S&W 645 period"...and the 645s also!

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Forgert a convertable for a bit, Call CDNN for sale price on 44mag Blackhawk 50th, nice gun that won't break the bank....then start saving for the convertable again :)

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
You are already shooting 9mm and even if accuracy is lacking in the convertible for 9mm it will probably be fine for chasing cans. Use 357/38 for punching holes. This keeps your cost down as you can buy the same ammo for two guns.

Now, if you want to go a different caliber the 45c/45auto is a nice convertible. I have a 1911 and I reload, trying to find the empties that get thrown all over the ground with the 1911 is a pain. But you can use the magazines to carry reloads for the 45 acp cylinder in the convertible. 45 acp may be more available than 45 colt depending on where you live.