What caliber should I buy next?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
I have a 45LC/45ACP convertible blackhawk.

I thought I would shoot ACP thru it. but a don't. for me its a waste.

its just as easy for me to reload 45LC as it is to reload 45ACP. and If I have a choice. I'd rather shoot 45LC.

and the 45ACP cylinder is picky about ammo and cleanliness, more picky then my 1911. the design is flawed. there is a reason that 1917s use moon clips. and that revolver ammo head spaces on the rim. its more reliable.

my recommendation for the OP is 38/357. you don't need a convertible. 38 is cheap and 357 has enough kick to get used to shooting a powerful handgun.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I tend to agree with demo-slug on the 45 ACP cylinder: I have several 45 Colt /ACP Rugers. I tried the ACP with the standard ammo for my 1911's. No go. Those that I could get to seat were very accurate - Nice - but most would not fully seat in the chamber. GI ball ammo would fully seat every time (there is no bearing surface beyond the case mouth) but that's all. So much for using the same ammo I have in Ruger and 1911's.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
I'd take a look at the availability of the different cartridges in your area. Here, all are hard to come by, but out of the big revolvers, I seem to be able to find 45 Colt the most (much more so than .44 Mag--we have lots of cowboy action folks, but not many grizzlies in San Diego). That might not be the same where you are. I can usually find .45 auto, but right now there is an abundance of 9mm, and very cheap even compared with prices 2 years ago.

As you can see from this discussion, the .45ACP is somewhat hit or miss in the Blackhawks, and I don't know what makes one a great shooter and the other a basket case, maybe someone here knows a serial history of which ones work the best. I've been able to load SWCs and 250gr XTPs in .45ACP and shoot them through Blackhawks without any hangups.

If you are thinking .45/.45ACP or .44Mag/.44Spec, take a read through this post (the sticky at the top of the reloading room):
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

Have fun with whichever you pick!

sebtool

Blackhawk
Personally, I have no desire to own a convertible. I guess they're OK from a collector's sandpoint, but I can't see much reason otherwise.

As others have already stated, once the novelty wears off, the 2nd cylinder probably won't get used much. I have no experience with them, but aren't cowboy action loads fairly mild compared to hotter hunting loads? If you do get the .45, buy the CAS loads for plinking/paper shooting, and full house loads for more serious stuff!

And then start thinking about reloading with the $$$$ you save off buying the convertible model.

With all the $$$ you save from that you can get a .41 and see what 1 of the finest calibers out there is all about! :D

BTW - nice collection Jim!

dougader

Hunter
I'd pick the 45, but then I usually pick a good 45 Colt over most other calibers anyway. I'm biased that way. I love the history of the cartridge, the nostalgia, all of it.

I used to love a hot-rodded 357 magnum when I was younger. Then I got my first 45 Colt (an AccuSport Bisley in 45 Colt) and it was all over for me. A new favorite cartridge. Like others have mentioned, you can load it light for target loads or plinking all the way up to bear medicine. It's really versatile.

I thought I'd really love the convertible, too, but have never used the 45 auto cylinders in my Blackhawks. I go shooting and take both cylinders but I run out of time just shooting the 45 Colt; there's just so much fun to be had and so much testing I want to do with the 45 Colt that I never have time for 45 auto except in semi-automatics.

You definitely want to handload for 45 Colt, though. If I didn't reload I'd go for a good 44 magnum Blackhawk; either a 4-5/8" new model or the 50th Anniversary flat top.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Cherokee, I had the same problem with my OM .45 Convert. Cylinders (where the bullet seats) were .449" so I couldn't load any SWC's in my ACP cases.
My .45 Colt cylinder was the same.
So I sent both cylinders off to the Cylinder Smith. He's on the forum here but I don't remember his name.

He hand bored them out to .4525" and now I can load and shoot swc's out of my .45 ACP cylinder with great accuracy too.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have mentioned on here before (probably several times) my fun with my rather newly acquired SS Ruger Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible. However, I'll mention it again :p .

I found that both cylinders were undersized. The .45 Colt leaded and lost accuracy after a few targets were fired. The .45 ACP cylinder would not allow me to load cast bullets (the throats were too small to admit the loaded round). I reamed both cylinders (and those of two friends who bought the same revolver at the same time and had the same problems). I used the Manson reamer kit with pilots and it was a piece of cake. I had a trigger job done (ALL Rugers seem to need a trigger job) and had the original pawl modified to a "free spin" pawl.

I now have a near wonderful revolver that can go from "mild to wild" with just a tip of the powder measure (I cast my own bullets and reload). Both cylinders shoot with NRA Bullseye accuracy. Here is a target shot recently indoors (it is COLD around here :( ) at fifty feet off a makeshift rest with target loads with the .45 ACP cylinder:

img072.jpg

I now have one of the most desirable and useful handguns possible to own (IMHO).

One last comment - the adjustable sight has more than enough range to properly sight in the revolver for light to heavy loads with a wide range of bullet weights (200 gr - 300 gr). Further, I can now load my standard target load in .45 ACP set up for my 1911's in the .45 ACP cylinder with match accuracy. Truly a useful piece of ordnance.

FWIW
Dale53

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
FYI, Oregon trail says that spec on their ACP bullets can be as large as .4530, I actually own a few thousand like that, I bought it 2 months ago. throating to .4525 is an improvement but its still not going to get 100% reliability with all SWC ammo.

texaswheelgunner":1ppk5fj0 said:
He hand bored them out to .4525" and now I can load and shoot swc's out of my .45 ACP cylinder with great accuracy too.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
demo, you are absolutely correct about not being able to shoot ALL .45 cal. SWC slugs in a .4525 throat.

I guess maybe that is why my S&W Model 25-2 revolvers measure .455" to .456" at the throats. S&W engineers decided that was a better solution?.....

mohavesam

Hawkeye
One comment about my 45 convertible. It is a garbage disposal for eny & every unwanted 45ACP round I have ever loaded! It will blast anything downrange that otherwise refuses to feed or group in any of my 1911 guns. And I don't have to search for the cases.

ALso - when I have a neophyte who wants to "try a big bore" handgun, I always pull out the 45ACP Blackhawk! Gentle recoil and big-hole fun is better than risking 'magnumitis' anyday!

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
texaswheelgunner":3p4scduc said:
demo, you are absolutely correct about not being able to shoot ALL .45 cal. SWC slugs in a .4525 throat.

I guess maybe that is why my S&W Model 25-2 revolvers measure .455" to .456" at the throats. S&W engineers decided that was a better solution?.....

don't know why S&W does what they do. your guess is better then mine. :)

but in my opinion, the 25s much like the 1917 use moon clips or auto rim brass. so they don't have to head space on the case mouth. and the throat diameter is not as critical to get the head space correct. if you run one without a moon clip the cartridge will sit too far forward and you risk a light primer strike.

I'm just saying that head spacing on the rim is better then head spacing on the case mouth for revolvers. 99.9% of revolvers do that. and it works good.

throat diameter is give and take, a compromise. you open it to .456 and all ammo will fit your ACP chamber, but then you have the issues associated with throats that are too big.