What are your favorite grips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41Dude

Single-Sixer

GasGuzzler

Hunter
FACTORY in almost all cases. Most aftermarket grips look like new but cheap wheels on a 17 year old SUV. If you're not from a southern border State, you may not understand.

I have aftermarket grips on my 1911 because I wanted something that looked like OEM GI checkered wood so not sure how to judge that one.

I had an S&W 4516 that came with a gawd-awful set of wrap-around Pacs or something. I found and bought an NOS set of S&W grips.

I "rebuilt" some standard issue Ruger walnut grips for my Blackhawk by stripping them (weren't a matched set), refinishing them, and swapping the eagles for Texas stars. But they're still the same shape.

Hogue over-molds are the ugliest thing you can do to a Blackhawk.

My 22/45RP has aftermarket spalted maple grips. Kind of a blued BBQ 22.

Wood "target" grips are hideous.

Yes, do what you want with your unit but don't expect all to think your three-eyed fat baby is cute.

aciera

Bearcat
Ebony with fleur de lie checkering or ivory on the lil guns……up to 10mm Mag in a single Six.
After that Ebony……..though a pair of Maximums will have Persinger ivory……done in 86 from another set. Can't afford great ivory anymore.
Strange to say. But ivory that looks like plastic. Very little grain. Hard to see. Can't imagine what that costs now.
All Bisley………

contender

Ruger Guru
For material, I find ivory is my favorite. But expensive. American Holly makes a good substitute. Spalted maple is the next choice.

funny you say that 'contender' here is ours ones Carys (hollywood) and the other is ivory, forgot which one is which...........:unsure:

Attachments

• Cary & ivory angle.JPG
    Cary & ivory angle.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Cary & Ivory.JPG
    Cary & Ivory.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 80

Yoter

Bearcat
For big bore single actions, I can usually find decent deals on checkered walnut Herrett's shooting star grips on ebay. I lightly sand down the checkering and refinish with Tru Oil and a topcoat of rub on polyurethane. So far, all of the grips I have refinished have decent wood under the checkering and turn out really nice.

On my single action Rugers I prefer the checkered imitation ivory that were made by Lett Handgun Grips in New Hampshire. I believe he supplied grips to the factory for awhile. He set up at New Hampshire gun shows back in the day and it was always nice to get grips for the latest acquisition.

Attachments

• IMG_20190825_131607459_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190825_131607459_HDR.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20170322_195237515.jpg
    IMG_20170322_195237515.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20180909_141949084.jpg
    IMG_20180909_141949084.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 67

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Altamont Super Rosewood with the finish rubbed off by lots of carry and use, for newer Ruger SA's

For GP100's, I like the Lett grips

I also like Pachmayr Presentations for old cop guns or used duty guns, or even Pachmayr Grippers. They just work.

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
Had a TC once with Pau Ferro (Brazilian Ironwood grips ..I liked them. Especially because the finger groves . Getting ready to stick a set on my BFR

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I like walnut... I made these out of some scrap walnut (I think) but since I don't really know what I'm doing, they came out way too thin so, they're just sitting in my grips bag.... looking good.. :)

J.
Beautiful grips
I like walnut... I made these out of some scrap walnut (I think) but since I don't really know what I'm doing, they came out way too thin so, they're just sitting in my grips bag.... looking good.. :)

J.
Beautiful grips :) They look good against the stainless steel.
Have you thought about adding liners to the inside of the grips?
A lot of the knife maker suppliers have an amazing array colors and thicknesses of lining materials. I have had some pretty good luck with fattening grips with some epoxy and liners. It does not take much to make them feel just right instead of too thin.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
My favorite were the carved ivory with rubies I that came with my 1901 Colt Bisley in 41 LC.

View attachment 21696

On my OM Blackhawk, I favor a pair of smooth moose antler by Executioner (Patrick Grashorn) that match my Yukon Skinner by Randall.
NICE! I would love to have a time machine and go back to chat with the original owner. It would be interesting to hear why he chose the design.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
NICE! I would love to have a time machine and go back to chat with the original owner. It would be interesting to hear why he chose the design.
Letter from Colt said it was shipped as blued, with regular grips (I don't remember exactly what and I've sold it since). It was shipped to a dealer in Mexico City and has "cottage industry" engraving and very worn gold wash. I got it from a guy who picked it up on "The Rez" in Arizona. No idea of the history==stolen from a rancheria or taken from the body of a Federale capitan?

Latest posts