Help Support Ruger Forum:

41Dude

Single-Sixer
Wood? Stag? Synthetic? Something else?

My well loved Tigerwood.

BBQRuger002.jpg

41Dude

Single-Sixer
P.S. If my memory serves (my memory has been tricking me lately) A skilled grip maker posted a picture of a set of grips made out of fur.
Now THAT would be an awesome EDC.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Depends on the gun. I'll reluctantly tolerate plastic on a semi-auto (mostly because they can't be swapped out). Other than that, Wood comes in first place for 2 reasons. Wood grips can be fitted to my hand by me, and they just plain look good. Then Stag or other natural material.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
I was looking on ebay this morning & ran across this;

1683815248721.png
1683815367090.png

I offered $10 & added a note that as these were factory grips & not Pachmayer I figured 10 bucks was a fair price.

Auto declined of course but worth a shot. ;)

On topic my favorite grips are factory wood on my BHs & SS & Pachmayer Presentation on all of my DA revolvers.

gunman42782

Hunter
It depends on the gun. I really love Hogue grips on most double action revolvers. I like both the wood and the rubber grips. On single actions I really love the old model grips Ruger used to put on the Blackhawks with the black eagles. Prefer nice wood grips on a 1911.

Shape and dimensions are my main concern. Most factory grips do okay. Wood, Stag, even plastic, are fine as long as they fit me.

Although I tolerate them, rosewood or laminated grips are an eyesore to me. Walnut is my preference, as well as some exotic woods, such as ebony. I also do quite okay with faux ivory when I'm doing plastic.

There are many 'fine' looking, even gorgeous grips out there BUT what are the ones that actually "work" , fit your grip , and make you shoot better, and for each different style of action there are different ,better grips from one to another,,,,ah , the choices, endless.............for show and /or presentation, the ivory and stags are the ones for us.....
like hittman noted most often the factory ones work just fine........;)

jgt

Buckeye
I like highly figured walnut. Next would be Ivory (can't afford today). Smooth stag, musk ox, Dall, or bone. I do pretty well with smooth factory target grips on Smith & Wesson N-frames. I don't mind the Smith, Colt, and Ruger logos on custom grips. On some, I even prefer them.

I favor smooth walnut Herrett's "Shooting Stars" for big bores; same grip with "French-style" skip-a-line checkering on smallbore SAs.

For DAs I like the "Big Grip" combat-style walnut grips that Ruger sold with some of the "Sixes" and also the original rubber "Jeep" grips with the walnut insert. I've replaced that insert with a stag one on my stainless Jeep and with black palm wood on the blued one.

Got all this aftermarket stuff from members here (THANKS !!!).