what are the SR9 issues?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Can someone create a "comprehensive" list of known issues with the SR9 (POST-Recall)? I'm really talking about issues that affect function/reliability.

"Peening" seems to be 1st on the list, however, how does this affect function (short-term & Long-term)?

Have there been any known failure issues unrelated to operator error?

jhearne

Buckeye
Hey TNR,

The big issue is the Barrel/Slide Peening. It's not 100% known why it does it, but we all have our hunches....I think it's a tolerance/timing problem personally. The longterm effects could be very superficial to a real problem. Superficially you'd be looking at a serious deformation of the leading edge of the Barrel, that over time could wear itself in, otherwise, you could carefully file it down a few thousandths and keep an eye on it every now and then. At the worse, you don't ever notice it and it locks up one day at the range or a SHTF situation.

Another problem a few have seen is the Trigger Reset problem, some SR9s experienced a fail to reset after firing. Multiple trips to Ruger were required in some instances. Some I recall having only have happened once or twice as a intermittent but extremely rare occurrence. 2-3 FTR out of 1000 rounds is worse though than 2-3 FTF/FTE in 1000 rounds.

I am showing signs of peening on the two alignment ears on the back of the Barrel. I plan to shoot some high speed (300fps) video of the SR9 once I recover from surgery next week. I think this problem is due to too much play in the barrel/slide when cycling. One member saw his SR9 lose a chunk off one of the ears, Ruger asked for it to be sent in as a precaution. Unknown how it would affect performance, probably accuracy if anything I'd guess.

Some people show a weak brass ejection, I'm trying to link this issue with a D shaped divot in the slide, opposite the extractor. Won't know until someone can claim to have poor progressing to better ejections with the divot present....then have multiple results from other SR9 owners. Never really affected performance, but hot brass hitting the arms or landing on a foot or something would be annoying.

Some complain about a stiff mag release, I can't say mine's stiff but the difference in dropping a full and empty mag is night and day, though both are easily managed. I think that the full mags are tougher to some because the Mag Spring is fully compressed putting pressure against the rounds, against the slide, and against the Mag, against the Magazine Latch. Empty mag, less force against the ends. Not really a problem with function, just an issue for the user sometimes.

Some pistols that aren't cleaned prior to first range trip CAN FT-Feed or Eject. Not all though, may have been limp wristed, or just a dirty gun. Ruger packs those SR9s full of grease and it can lead to an issue or two. Most see the issue with the FTF/FTE go away after a good cleaning. I recommend you clean before the range, but it's not a necessary thing.

There may be one or two issues that one person or so has said to have, but I can't think of anyway that they'd be a problem in the large spectrum of pistols produced.

The list only a handful of 'problems', some are only inconveniences at best. Some are only superficial and won't affect function in the least.

Josh

kscott

Single-Sixer
Can't really add anything to that post. Pretty darn good play-by-play. Well done Josh!

Honestly when I saw the title of this post and then that only one reply was posted, I thought "I bet Josh jumped all over that and no one could add on to his." haha. I was right.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Thank you much Josh.

My apprehension is basically that I'll have to sell BOTH of my pistols (leaves me with no firearms) and wait at at LEAST ten days (Lovely California) with no firearms and maybe chance getting one of the "lemons". But quite honestly I feel a lot better after your reply. If I didn't need to get rid of both pistols to finance, I'd jump on it right now. And I may jump on it anyway, need a few more days to think.

jhearne

Buckeye
No problem TNR, there are issues but the majority are perfectly fine pistols functionally. Glad I could help!

Josh

22/45 Fan

Hunter
That's a good summary of what problems have occured with some (a few?) SR9s.

I believe mine is more typical. It was one of the first-issue guns and had to go back to Ruger for the recall but it was a 100% gun before and still is a 100% gun after the trigger retrofit.

There are no signs of peening, no trigger problems and ejection is good and reliable. There has never been a feed or ejection failure with factory ammo (Win. White Box) or my various reloads with lead, jacketed or Ranier plated bullets.

Mine has had over 1000 rounds through it so it's not brand new or little used.

michael hacker

Bearcat
Just wanted to give you some kudos on your knowledge of the SR9, and your help with the mag DC removal. On mine, the removal of the Mag DC did smooth out the striker movement, which in turn, translates to a smoother trigger pull. I also removed the striker, polished and re-lubed it, now the trigger pull is very smooth, gritty feel gone, and seems lighter, actually closer to a SA feel than semi-DA feel. Mag DC removal also smoothed out the mag release button, it's easier to release, but not enough to ever accidentally release it. I now have put a good 2000 rounds throught it without any failure whatsoever. So thanks again Josh, I now love the SR9. Some may say, well, if you have to go through all that to aquire a gun you like, why not just get one off the shelf with none of those issues. All I can say is, now it's smooth and problem free, with a combination of features not available in ONE striker fired pistol.

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

gommee

Bearcat
michael hacker":2pdm3ex1 said:
.....I also removed the striker, polished and re-lubed it, now the trigger pull is very smooth, gritty feel gone, and seems lighter, actually closer to a SA feel than semi-DA feel.

Some may say, well, if you have to go through all that to aquire a gun you like, why not just get one off the shelf with none of those issues. All I can say is, now it's smooth and problem free, with a combination of features not available in ONE striker fired pistol.

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

First of all what did you lube on the striker and what did you lube it with?

Next, If I bought a gun that was trouble free, I would not know the workings of the insides as well nor would I be so proficient at disassembling it.