What are the benefits of a verical foregrip on a SR 556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
I guess I don't get it. I own both rifles and to me the AR makes people look like Mall Ninja's a lot more than every Mini except maybe the tactical models. Especially in the eyes of the general public.

IndianaBoy

Bearcat
I had a vertical forward grip on my AR, and I found it to be detrimental in a lot of situations while shooting 3-gun.

Kyle Lamb pretty much recommends them as necessary in his book. Given his combat experience.. I will not even think to recommend that they are bad, or a fad. I am not currently using one, but I do NOT insinuate that they are solely designed to 'look' cool.

cluelesspa

Bearcat
9x19":2ewaymrt said:
Sweet... Let us know how well it works.

it works fine. you have to have the weight of the AR on it to make it stable. but its nicer then the bi-Pod in that you can adjust the feet for different heights or even uneven ground (both independant legs).

I had to move it more back and have the bottom rail cover all the way back against the mag. and the vertical grip up against that. I like the feel and its easier for me to aim quickly with the vertical grip. I would definitely buy it again if you wanted a grip and the conv of the T-Pod is just an extra bonus.

not my AR but this is what it looks like (i have the one without the light). but here is a guy with it on his SIG. I have mine mounted further toward the front. seems better for handling the front end weight of the Ruger SR-556.

DSC_0221.jpg

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
fossils and guns":374g9zxt said:
I guess I don't get it. I own both rifles and to me the AR makes people look like Mall Ninja's a lot more than every Mini except maybe the tactical models. Especially in the eyes of the general public.

I don't spend a whole lot of time worrying about what someone thinks I "look like" because I can't control it and I don't care. YMMV :mrgreen:

wixedmords

Blackhawk
fossils and guns":2pyivlzr said:
Can someone tell me exactly what a Fusion Vertical Grip is used for on a SR 556.
I'm full of stupid questions, but I'm learning thanks to this site... :wink:

I think of those as the tactical plumb-bob. :)

Seriously, its another choice of a forward grip fossils and guns. Nothing wrong with choices.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
deadduck357":312c3n6a said:
Snake45":312c3n6a said:
It's required equipment in the Mall Ninja Corps.

USMC,USARMY,USN = Mall Ninja Corps ? hmm

If they have an office job, then yes.

One of the Bazaars here on Bagram sells all sorts of Tacticool accessories. I have seen quiet a few people that will never see the outside of the base, who's entire world revovles around couple block area of Bagram AF that load weapons down with accessories. Often times people that go outside the wire joke about them. About how they came to Afghanistan with an M4, and by the time they leave, they have something out of Halo.

Vertical forearms can be useful. They work really well when moving on fire and advance drills, and thus for urban operations and house clearing. I have found them a little bit of a pain though if you are not wearing Body Armor. We are required to wear our weapons across the front, so they are "at the ready". I have found without my IBA on, the front grip (when installed) on my M4 tries to beat up the jewels.

Charlie

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I find that the vertical grip is a more natural position especually with a lighter and shorter carbine. I use them and have used them for many years. As suggested already, they are most helpful with a full auto as it provides a easier way to strongly keep the weapon from climbing (I do own a full auto AR-15). They also provide a very strong way to allow you to keep control of your weapon if someone was to try to knock it out of your hands or take the gun from you.

The only advise I can give is try one. You might not like it at first and then grow to like it or you may decide you never find any value. I personaly would never want to be without a vertical grip on one of my AR-15 carbines. I have no use for them on my AR-15 rifles.

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
Yeah, that grip/bi-pod looks great.
I went ahead and ordered the folding foregrip from Ruger, for my ATI Mini. I enjoy shooting it with the stock folded (as do my buddies) from time to time, and I think the foregrip will be useful for that.

Latest posts