What are some things you can do to a GP100 to customize it ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wrightd

Bearcat
So far I've polished and radiused the trigger, polished the hammer, had the action smoothed, chamfered the cylinders, and put meprolight tritium sights on. What have I missed ? Need some ideas.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Couple things I can think of: Put in a grip that fits your hand. The factory grips are a compromise - too small for some hands and too large for others.

If the work you already did made the action really smooth, you are ready for lighter springs. Wolff makes a set that will cost you next to nothing, and gives you a cariety to play with. It has been noted that Ruger revolvers come with gorilla-heavy springs often not needed after the action gets smoothed out.

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
PM 41 mag about grip inserts. I have bought several sets of maple wood inserts from him. In fact he is making me a set of maple grips for an OM BH with cartridge heads instead of ruger eagles. hth greg :)

Rover 'n Rugers

Bearcat
As noted above how about new grips. Now that the hammer and trigger sides are polished they could be jeweled and the hammer lightened to decrease lock time. I guess you could add a black powder chamfer to the front of the cylinder and could polish the cylinder flutes. Also, the cylinder could be machined for full moon clips. The barrel could be converted to a half lug style. Cylinder and Slide did one for a person a while back.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Finish, Porting, What do you want?

RugerGP100-357-6Cut.jpg

epj

Bearcat
When I got my new-to-me GP100, I immediately installed a spring kit, did a full IBOK trigger job, and exchanged the front sight for a fiber optic. I also installed a V notch rear sight to go with the FO. front. It is now probably my second favorite handgun, my 686+ still comming in #1.

nnero93

Bearcat
So will getting a set of wolff springs make a difference in trigger pull without having a trigger job or anything else done?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
nnero93":3dfgc93c said:
So will getting a set of wolff springs make a difference in trigger pull without having a trigger job or anything else done?

Yes it will, as will breaking-in the gun. I think the Wolf kit has four lighter mainsprings and one lighter trigger return spring. Rule of thumb is use the next heavier mainspring if you get any misfires. :D

...Jimbo

nnero93

Bearcat
Thanks jimbo, I have only shot 50 or so rounds through the gun. So i guess I will give it some time to break in.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Wild turk I know just a leg pull lol. :)

I have an old Stainless Security Six. But it is all Stock :)

Swamp Rat

Bearcat
epj":1ja89jy5 said:
When I got my new-to-me GP100, I immediately installed a spring kit, did a full IBOK trigger job, and exchanged the front sight for a fiber optic. I also installed a V notch rear sight to go with the FO. front. It is now probably my second favorite handgun, my 686+ still comming in #1.

Where would one get a V-notch rear sight?

I tried the One ragged hole on a my GP and BH and like it from 50-100yrds but not up close, looking for something more accurate.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Swamp Rat":28r05cj3 said:
epj":28r05cj3 said:

Where would one get a V-notch rear sight?

I tried the One ragged hole on a my GP and BH and like it from 50-100yrds but not up close, looking for something more accurate.

Ruger Online Store has them.
http://shopruger.com/Sights/products/24/

They used to have a little gold dot front site for the GP/Super Redhawk but I don't see it now. :D

..Jimbo

Latest posts