What are best ammunitions for Ruger’s PCC 9mm #129122?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OldPaladin

Bearcat
Just purchased a PCC 9mm #129122 for in house and travel self defense. I carry two Glock 34 Gen5's, as my EDCs. Needed a light, short range rifle, and this was available, as the SFAR is not yet "out there" in my neck of the woods.

What 9mm factory load is best out of the 16" barrel? I use Federal HST 124gr +P for my pistols. What is recommended for the Ruger PCC in 9mm?

Thanks for your input!

P.S. What load is best subsonic for use with a suppressor? Must have exceptional accuracy and expansion.

Last edited:
The sky is the limit. I've never found any cartridge that would not operate perfectly in either my earlier PC9/PC40 carbines, or our later PCC carbines. And they all are surprisingly accurate.

Personally, in any 9mm firearm, I prefer a 124 grain bullet. Best compromise of weight and velocity. And if a feller has a bullet style he prefers, whatever load you can buy or load for it will be your personal cats meow.

And for the P.S. question, I can't help you. My only suppressed 9mm experience was while in the Army, shooting H&K equipment. That's another discussion, as the Army didn't have any H&K equipment. :unsure:

We ran several types/brands of 9mm through different guns ranging from 3.2" to 16" barrels. The absolute w/o a doubt most destructive and effective round from any/all was the Norma MHP. Even at 16" carbine velocities, the petals didn't break off (much) and penetration was good. Hornady is a good performer but a little challenged on penetration @ carbine speed.
Suppressed performance is going to depend on your carbine(no surprise). I haven't found ANY factory load 147 grain or less that is 100% sub-sonic from even a 8.5" barrel. If the bullet isn't sub-sonic, you're wasting your time screwing the suppressor on (just my opinion. Federal HST 147 is one of the better expanding bullets @ sub-sonic velocities. I download this bullet(or the Hornady 147 XTP) to stay sub-sonic from my AR platform PDW(s). This gives about 850 FPS from a 3 or 4" pistol barrel and 950-1000 FPS from the 8.5" barrels.
"exceptional accuracy" may be an unrealistic goal for this type of ammo since the lower velocities may result in some loss of stability.
Another 'solid' performer @ sub-sonic velocity is the 150 grain Federal polymer jacket factory load. No real expansion but the flat meplat transfers a LOT of energy and it is quiet.
Oh, BTW--welcome to the forum from another MO resident.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

I shoot a Ruger PCC carbine in USPSA some. I'm no real help as to any factory stuff. But I've been trying different reloads & so far,, all have been very dependable. The Ruger seems to digest everything easily.

NetNathan

Single-Sixer
On the range....I get pretty good results from Fiocchi 115 grain. Reasonable in cost and fairly accurate.
I also use Hornady 124 +P, but not very cheap.

Last edited: