What Are .22LRs Selling For These Days?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Our Walmart has the same prices as the OP. Im well stocked so no hurry to pay current prices. I have been buying 17HMR though. I just got into them when the covid started. They went up 15.00 per 200 CCI A17.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Thanks for all the responses. I'd thought maybe the "new normal" price for cheap .22s was in the four to five cent range. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that it's now more like 7 or 8 cents. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Farm and Home store in Keokuk IA had an entire shelf of Aguila @ 8 cents per round. Downside was the sales tax was something like 10%. I wasn't going to buy any anyway.

hittman

Staff member
Today Winchester 525 packs for $49.95. Their 333 packs were in the $35.00 range I think.

Biggest thing I noticed is there was a really GOOD selection for a change. Lots of different brands of 9mm, 22LR, shotgun shells, 45ACP and others. Finally we're seeing 9mm "down" to $15 for a box of 50. When or if 45ACP prices take a dive I should stock up some.

I saw Winchester, Browning, Aguila, CCI, Blazer and there were likely others I don't remember now. Not all those brands were in 22LR.

Snake45

Hawkeye
When I was at university in the '70s, I worked part-time at a local sporting goods store, in the hunting/fishing department. We sold 100-packs of Remington Golden Bullets (back when they were still all good) for $1.99. I used my employee discount and bought 5000 rounds of them. I shot them for years, and used the cool yellow plastic boxes for gun parts and other cool uses. It's possible I still have some of these stashed somewhere.

In the early/mid-2000s, I noticed that the 500-round bulk packs of Federal .22 were selling at Walmart for, I think, $9.97, and realized that at @ 2c per shot, that's about what I had paid 25-30 years before! :oops: What else can you say THAT about? So I started buying a box or two every week. Later Walmart added Rem Golden Bullets and Winchester bulks and I bought those, too. In 2006, '07, '08, and '09 I shot 25K rounds a year, and got pretty good with several of my guns. Ah, good times! I'm SO glad I took advantage of that opportunity while I had it.

So now maybe you see why, after shooting 100K rounds of .22LR at 2c per shot, today's prices are an absolute shock to me. :oops:

40nascar

Banned
When I buy, I purchase 3 boxes (.22 LR : Federal AutoMatch :40grain : LRN) that sell for $21.16 per box with a 325 count per box. The total price with tax for the 3 boxes is $68.56 which comes out to $0.07 a round. So far the price has not changed since I bought my first 3 boxes back in March of this year.

I agree with this. Federal Automatch at Walmart is the best current deal for an out the door price. I'll buy one of those on occasion, if I see it on the shelf. Not that I need to, but I got caught real short handed right after Sandy Hook, when I could have bought in Bulk for 4-4.5 cents per rd. That taught me to never again assume that ammo, even in common calibers, will always be available when I so desire.

Bottom line, I invested heavily during the demand slowdown of the Trump years. Best money I ever spent. Those investments are now worth 2.5 - 3x what I paid for them.

I could have really cashed in on my 30-30 ammo investments, a year or so back, that I paid $9.99- $13.99 a box for it previously. But I decided I'd rather have the ammo, than the t.p. fiat funny money.

I don't think ammo prices will go down significantly in the short term. If you have the cash, and the price is reasonable ( by today's standards) then pickup a little bit here and there. It's similar to dollar cost averaging in the stock market. Small, routine purchases over time will help you get ammo for a decent price. Stop buying during sharp increases and you will be in good ammo stock shape, faster than you might expect ( as long as you don't spray and pray during your shooting sessions)

Best wishes. I also like my takedown 10/22 ( and PCC 9.)

Fanner50

Bearcat
Quality ammo (CCI Mini-Mags) are selling for .12 cpr at Academy. I like the Federal auto Match that Walmart sells that is cheaper. I have enough of both that I am not going to run out anytime soon, lol.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I try and buy only made in USA ammo (most everything actually), and willingly pay extra for it. But unfortunately the last few boxes of .30 Carbine and some quality target .22 LR was import.
its very hard anymore with a global economy, even Brands we think are made here get components etc from overseas etc.

Dan in MI

Staff member
In the early/mid-2000s, I noticed that the 500-round bulk packs of Federal .22 were selling at Walmart for, I think, $9.97, and realized that at @ 2c per shot, that's about what I had paid 25-30 years before! :oops: What else can you say THAT about?

Since I started buying ammo ~1972 .22'a were $10 a brick. Right up until 2004/5 maybe even longer. I had amassed 60k due a sweet sale about 1996 that took sometime to deplete, so I can't swear to it as I didn't start buying again unti about 2020. At that time sale prices were $13. Yes, it may been full retail at first and sales or wholesale later on, but for most of my life the one constant was .22's at $10 a brick. this $30-40 50 is killing me.

Johnnu2

Hunter
When I run out of my various "stash items" I'll quit shooting rather than pay these !@#$%^'s their fake inflated prices.

But, what do I know, I'm just an old guy.....!!

J.

40nascar

Banned
Then, you are doing what our Libtard puppet masters would like you to do ( loss of trigger finger muscle memory). Please don't go out with a whimper.