What a great forum!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
I've said this before, but its worth saying again. This is the best forum on the internet. Not only do I find it a great source of information and advice on firearms and related issues, but the general comradarie and acceptance, especially here in the Lounge, is second to none. Everyone behaves as gentlemen and ladies (at least most of the time) and we seem to be relatively unbothered by trolls and other troublemakers.

What brought this to mind was my most recent experience on another gun related forum, one from a rival brand best known for its quality revolvers. I had been temporarily banned on several occasions, being accused of straying into political areas not allowed on that forum. I actually tried to follow their rules, but to no avail. Today I was informed that I am banned FOR LIFE! I guess something I wrote was seen as political and made a moderator pee in his pants, or something. One before I had said good riddance to that forum, but I occasionally ventured back. Now I will banish them from my thinking and writing as they have banished me. No great loss to me, but I think it is a loss to them. I might even have to sell some of my guns with their namesake on it, but that might be too severe a reaction.

Here in northern Illinois it is a beautiful day. I am in relatively good health, as is my wife. My 2nd Amendment rights are mostly honored here in this state (now that we have achieved legal concealed carry), my Ruger LC9s is comfortably in my pocket holster, and I am ready to go to the motorcycle dealership and pick up my new bike. Life is pretty damn good, and I love having this forum to share my thoughts and hopes with those of you who share my outlook and values, and even with those of you that don't.

Be safe and enjoy this wonderful day.

CCW

Bearcat
I'm new to this forum also and like you stated, I've found the members here to be very helpful. Oh, I almost forgot - Trump 2016!!!

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I joined Rugerforum after I bought my (second) handgun - an SR9 1.1, which I still have and it still shoots well. The people here are fantastic. There are a lot of strong opinions and that leads to some heated disagreement every so often, but on this forum it indicates that the signal to noise ratio is high and people try to give their best answers and have a lot of investment in the place. I've learned as much or more reading posts here on Rugerforum than any other place on the web, and I enjoy the company a lot. I was astounded by the quality of the responses to my "Cowboy Hat Advice Please" thread, and it's always a good time.

So +1 to this.

This is a great forum. I was banned for 30 days from one other forum (1911-A1) for asking a question in the 'wrong' section. They never had to worry about a repeat of my 'disastrous wrongdoing' again. I simply never went back.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I suspect that it might be due to the age of most folks. I'm sure there are quite a few around under 30, but there are many around over 50, heck 60. Adults make a huge difference.

vito

Hunter
For those who asked, my new ride is a 2016 Honda Goldwing ABS. I've always thought of the Goldwing as the Rolls-Royce of motorcycles, but thought it was too big, too heavy, and too expensive for me. But I don't know how many riding years I have left in me, and money won't do me any good when I am on the dirt side of the grass, so I made the plunge. Riding it home yesterday it was everything I had hoped it would be, although with so many gadgets and electronic gizmos it may take me awhile to learn how to use all the buttons and switches. Today my wife joins me for her maiden ride in the passenger seat. And her comfort was a primary reason I bought this bike so hopefully she will agree that it was worth the cost. A good motorcycle, like a good gun, is one of the things that makes life enjoyable.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Congrats on the new putt Vito! Awesome bulletproof motorcycle, even has reverse (If I remember right). I'm on a '13 Yamaha Roadliner, at 57 it'll probably be my last bike. My wife says yeah right. I told her that when I'm too old to ride were getting a hot rod. Enjoy and ride safe-Dave

exavid

Hunter
A great choice vito! I've owned quite a few Goldwings, my last being a '07. There are few machines that perform or last as well as the GL. A friend of mine has a '93 with a bit over 400,000 miles on it. He still rides it just about every day. I was a piker on my '93 I only put 200,000 trouble free miles on it. All in all I have around 350,000 or so miles on the World's greatest road bike. Due to physical problems I've downsized to a BMW C650GT maxi-scooter which is also a fine ride, but when I see a GW go by....

I'm sure your lady will like it. My wife used to fall asleep on the pillion. One time when I finally got a chance to pass a dawdler near Crater lake I cranked the 'Wing up to 115mph to pass. I felt my wife banging on my back which I thought was her way of telling me to ease up but found out she'd nodded off and bumped my back. I wondered why she'd bang on my back when she could always talk to me on the intercom. BTW I bet you'll find the reverse very handy, no more pushing back a 900lb bike with two aboard.

vito

Hunter
I love the new Goldwing but I guess I have a bit of a learning curve. Riding it is easy, stopping not so much. I was doing fine but at the end of my first two up ride when I stopped at the pump for gas I suffered my first tip over. No one hurt, no real damage to my new bike, but it sure shook me up. I would hate to find that this bike is just too big for me, after dreaming about a Goldwing for what seems like forever. I think I just need to get more riding time under my belt riding solo before I start routinely taking my wife with me. Yesterday, however, as part of our ride, we were on the Interstate and the Goldwing was a dream to ride. I never before enjoyed, with other bikes, riding at 75 or so on the superslab but yesterday that part of the ride was actual fun.

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
I was banned from a lever action forum. My crime was putting a rifle up for sale when I had only 24 posts instead of 25. moderator demanded to know who bought my rifle, etc etc. My reply was "John Spartan, you have violated the verbal ..... and are fined 1 credit. :twisted: I laughed and have not looked back. greg

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
gregs45auto said:
I was banned from a lever action forum. My crime was putting a rifle up for sale when I had only 24 posts instead of 25. moderator demanded to know who bought my rifle, etc etc. My reply was "John Spartan, you have violated the verbal ..... and are fined 1 credit. :twisted: I laughed and have not looked back. greg

I strongly suspect it might have been MO. A few years back a bunch of us were banned for simply refusing to drink the forum owners KoolAid.

chuck

Blackhawk
I also was banned from a forum about 4 years ago can't remember the name of it, I never cared.
I had a GW for about 5 years loved it never broke like the 2 Harleys I owned several years ago, I took it in to the dealer once a year for service and what ever only bad thing was it did eat tires. good luck with yours.

Latest posts