What a day I've had today!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Not too long ago a man at my church asked about reloading some .45 Colt cartridges. This a very fine young (younger than I) man from my church with a good testimony in life. Much like I am, interested in everything and especially handy with tools.

He had a bunch of .45 Colt brass he had saved and wanted me to show him reloading. So, he came over this morning, his off day, and we repaired to my shop. Under my watchful eye he loaded a box of .45 Colt, as well as making a tour of my shop. Nita fixed a lunch of BBQ'ed hotdogs and we just sat around talking afterward.

His son is in college at the University of Memphis, and is a brilliant young engineering student. And he has a tremendous thirst for knowledge, and is handy with tools.

Just an extremely pleasant day.

Bob Wright

427mach1

Blackhawk
Good story of a good deed! BTW, most engineers and engineering students are brilliant, just sayin......

dougader

Hunter
Nice. I've offered to help people learn but no one has taken me up on it.

Maybe during the next shortage....

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Long ago while Father Bob was visiting he, my uncle and Dad got into a discussion about what defined a Christian. (I know... talking to a priest how would that come up... duh!) Halfway though my uncle made the comment to recognize a Christian watch their hands. What people say may be lies but their actions in the long run seldom do. Mr Wright, every time you make one of these posts you remind me of that day and that statement.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Dave P. said:
427mach1 said:
BTW, most engineers and engineering students are brilliant, just sayin......

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.....

Dave

This man, of whom I spoke, has a son who is a sophomore at the University of Memphis. His ambition is to get into the medical field of mechanical engineering, the design and manufacture of prostheses. Currently he is building an aluminum can crusher, with tubular feed and auto shut-off. An old window air conditioner compressor and scuba tank are donors to his project.

The cans are fed into a tubular "magazine" and drop one-by-one into the crusher chamber. A laser determines when the can is present and activates the piston. When empty the laser tells the device to shut off.

This is beyond my ken, and therefore is brilliant to me.

Bob Wright

Armybrat

Buckeye
My brother’s grandson graduated with an engineering degree from the U. Of Texas.
After two years of office work in Dallas with a major firm earning over $100,000/annually, he decided to change careers and became a fireman.

Selena

Hunter
Engineers tend to be a good "catch", they make good salaries and are handy around the house. They are imaginative as part of the job description. The good ones have a sense of humor that is translated into machinery. The great ones… The great ones not only had the sense of humor but a sense of adventure.

Years ago I had three of my cousins visiting as a sort of memorial for their father who was my uncle. There was a rerun of a hokey TV series called "MacGyver" that had us all laughing. What must a thrilled TV viewers in ancient times was a slow day on the farm with uncle Lee. As for Mr. Wright's aluminum can crusher? Bush league, my uncle made a go kart that used aluminum cans and lye to generate hydrogen gas that fueled it. The device would get an eighth of a mile to the sixpack.

Selena said:
Engineers tend to be a good "catch", they make good salaries and are handy around the house. They are imaginative as part of the job description. The good ones have a sense of humor that is translated into machinery. The great ones… The great ones not only had the sense of humor but a sense of adventure..

Yet with all that being said......some are challenged to feed themselves with a fork!
Dave

Selena

Hunter
Dave P. said:
Selena said:
Engineers tend to be a good "catch", they make good salaries and are handy around the house. They are imaginative as part of the job description. The good ones have a sense of humor that is translated into machinery. The great ones… The great ones not only had the sense of humor but a sense of adventure..

Yet with all that being said......some are challenged to feed themselves with a fork!
Dave

By the same token I've seen farmers that can't figure out how to undo a seat belt and older patients that can't open a child proof cap. I won't even mention the "wetlands" expect that couldn't grasp the concept that water can't flow uphill. In college I even had the misfortune of meeting a post grad aeronautical engineering student that didn't know how to drive a car. Even worse is a guy named Dave I happen to be married to that just can't figure out the benefit of leaving the bottom edge of the shower curtain inside the tub rather than outside. If your point is about blanket statements- I agree with you. Just give me a hint on your point. Otherwise I be forced to believe all guys named Dave need help in the bathroom.

bogus bill

Hunter
The last week or two hasn't been too good for us. Lets see, had to buy a new washing machine, our car was hit and ran in the Walmart parking lot and cost us the deductible, then the garbage disposal quit, water heater would`nt light at our rental, truck needed new rubber all the way around plus other work for about $2,200, wife's daughter almost died with a pulmonary embolism so that involved a trip to S. Calif, wife's brother got badly burned and had to be flown to the burn center in Tulsa from Arkansas, then this morning the wife took a fall down the steps and badly broke her ankle. They say she will need surgery. I just got home. Think I am missing a couple other events in the last two weeks. Oh yeah, I have been laid up with the gout. The devil has been working overtime on us but God is getting us through it. Wife can use some prayer, as does her brother (retired cop), daughter needs prayer big time but isn't a believer. Brother in law is a strong christian but is in agony. I think 2nd degree burns over 30% of his body.

Selena

Hunter
bogus bill said:
The last week or two hasn't been too good for us. Lets see, had to buy a new washing machine, our car was hit and ran in the Walmart parking lot and cost us the deductible, then the garbage disposal quit, water heater would`nt light at our rental, truck needed new rubber all the way around plus other work for about $2,200, wife's daughter almost died with a pulmonary embolism so that involved a trip to S. Calif, wife's brother got badly burned and had to be flown to the burn center in Tulsa from Arkansas, then this morning the wife took a fall down the steps and badly broke her ankle. They say she will need surgery. I just got home. Think I am missing a couple other events in the last two weeks. Oh yeah, I have been laid up with the gout. The devil has been working overtime on us but God is getting us through it. Wife can use some prayer, as does her brother (retired cop), daughter needs prayer big time but isn't a believer. Brother in law is a strong christian but is in agony. I think 2nd degree burns over 30% of his body.

Everything seems to come at once sometimes. This is where I go when those times come to me. As funny as it sounds the passage gives me comfort knowing what Job went through later.

Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”

bogus bill

Hunter
Thanks Selena. Job went through hell in many forms but was strongly blessed in the end more than the first part of his life. The wife had wanted me to throw out a huge box of odd junk hardware that was unused and me being a cheapskate thinking if I threw any away I would soon be buying replacements at the hardware store. She was frustrated, grabbed the huge box and tripped taking it down the steps to the garage. Trying to save a couple bucks has already cost us about $1,500 (Ambulance will be over a thousand and the ER hospital bill was almost $500), she is home but I have to take her to a dr tomorrow for surgery and follow ups. Just starting. She had bad feet to start with and already has a cavidor bone from before. Poor thing is in big pain.

427mach1 said:
Good story of a good deed! BTW, most engineers and engineering students are brilliant, just sayin......

Some are but having common sense can be another thing! Where I used to work we had some engineers and one was a graduate of Texas A&M and in Texas Aggies are the but of some funny jokes. This person was brilliant at his job but on other things people often wondered. He had one of those college license plate holders on his pick and I was the first to see that it was upside down which had some of us wondering if maybe he was laying on his belly with his head inverted looking of the back when putting it on and it looked right side up and so we got a laugh out of that but he admitted he put it on upside down on purpose otherwise it would not fit so then anybody seeing that inverted holder is thinking typical dumbass Aggie!

Tom W

Blackhawk
Don't bad-mouth people that have trouble opening medicine bottles. I have neuropathy and there are times I have to get Lori to open things for me.

exavid

Hunter
Technician or mechanic vs. engineers is an old battle. Engineers dream up something and some poor tech has to make it work.

Selena said:
Dave P. said:
Selena said:

Dave

. Just give me a hint on your point. Otherwise I be forced to believe all guys named Dave need help in the bathroom.

Basically they're ( as a group ) no brighter than a cross section of humans in general.
Maybe worse in some respects.
Part of how I make a living involves machining and fabrication of prototype or very
small run parts. I get to work with engineers almost daily. Let's just say not all
of the fancy CAD designs work in the real world.
I don't type well, or have the time to tell all the stories.....I should have wrote a book.
Dave

Latest posts