Were Ruger Standard Automatics Marked MKI?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

teejay

Bearcat
Hi, New guy to the forum. I'm on a few others, with Rugers and 22s as my main, though not only, interest.
Here's my question: For years I was under the impression that the original Rugers (1949-1982) were "Standards," i.e. fixed sighted, and marked Ruger Automatic Pistol. The MKI was the adjustable sighted version of that pistol. When the MKII came out, they were marked MKII whether Standard or target.
I have since been proved incorrect by a photo of a fixed sighted Standard also marked MKI. Has anyone ever seen this, a fixed sighted early Ruger marked MKI? here is a link to the conversation and photo of the Standard marked MKI: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthr ... post518687
I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks, TJ
Sorry, they deleted the picture :cry: But the question still stands TJ

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
Ruger started with the "Red Eagle." (referring to the red eagle emblem on the grip) Then came the "Standard Model." Then the Mk I, MkII, and MkIII. AFAIK, the adjustable sights were on the "Target" models, beginning with the MkI. You can still buy a new "Standard" model, with the fixed sights, but it will be a MkIII.
Hope that helps.

teejay, welcome to the Forum....yes, you are "correct" in your concept as to the early Ruger .22 semi autos, as to RST's ( standards) and the Mark I's.......over time you can and will "see" guns that have been 'redone' re barreled, whatever and now may be marked" (Mark I" or NO "markkig" and have either set up of sights or barrels...the military released a bunch of 'target" maodels long ago, they were "rebarreled" with 'short' standard barrels, some with 6 inch 'standard 'barrels and the sights could be either way.......when they came out, they had short "stubby" threaded barrels (for silencers) and these guns, the stubby 'cut down? target barrel removed and whatever barrel they could find, put on the guns..I know, we had some of these guns, and yes, we have mounted other sights on various guns ourselves in all these years...so they are out there...do not be surprised, just take it for what it is.........we have even heard folks at the factory, in the service dept ( customer service) call a "standard" auto, a "Mark I...." fact of life......yes, in 1982, when the Mark IIs arrived, they are ( were) ALL "Mark II's ...standard ,as well as target....just the 22/45 had its own stamping on the right side of the receiver...........and of course, different lower ( grip frame assembly)