Were No 3s drilled and tapped for scope bases

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vol423

Bearcat
My .30-40 is drilled and tapped for scope bases. I thought they all were, but a note on the Weaver scope mount chart indicates that the gun must be drilled and tapped for the bases. Were the No 3s factory drilled and tapped for scope bases?

pete44ru

Hunter
[Were the No 3s factory drilled and tapped for scope bases?]

Not all were so factory prepped. 8)

When first introduced, the #3 wasn't factory D/T'd for the two Weaver-type short bases - but that soon changed.

I can't recall exactly when, nor which chamberings were invovled, at this late date - but methinks it might have ben only the first chambering (.45-70) involved, with the other startup chamberings introduced after the change to scope prep.

Just a WAG, but Weaver most likely immediately jumped on the fact when the #3 was introduced, and made bases with the caveat - but never updated their caveat because there are sure to be some pre-update specimens still out there.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
The very first No.3's in .45-70, were not tapped for bases. This is up to about 130-51XXX Remember that No.3 serial numbering started with 130-50000; or was it 50001??

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
I believe El Numero Uno is correct. My No.3 in 45-70 sn 130-50900 is NOT tapped, and all 3 digit No.3's I've seen were not tapped (at the factory). I also have No.1-S in 7 m/m Mag. sn 130-00900. they make a nice pair! :!:

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
I guess this is off topic, but we have answered the question! On the subject of same numbered pairs, with the help of the Potato Farmer, I just acquired Single Six #1667, which pairs up with the John Wootters No.1 rifle-also #1667. Actually, I guess I still have the #51 Single Six and the #51 No.1 from the Fred Davis collection. If there are any others, it is not occuring to me now!

Fred M

Bearcat
I have a 375 Win #3, mount holes were not d/t. Had to do it myself. Weaver Bases had to be fitted to the taper of the barrel.

PICT0121.jpg

picketpin

Buckeye
I have a couple sets of Buehler bases for the #3.

The thing that makes them odd/different is they look the same but the spacing on the bases is slightly different. Not much, but enough that they are not interchangable.

The designation is on the end flap. Buehler Mounts and Bases. Ruger No. 3 Single Shot. Code R3

One is marked on the box as R3. Inside is a set of two piece Buehler bases and the screws along with a set of instructions including a template for the spacing and location of the screw holes.

The other set is marked the same except the box is marked, code R3*. The instruction inside say for use with factory drilled rifles and there is no template or drilling instructions in the box.

I picked them up with the idea of using them on a #3 profile barrel but never built the project and finally used the #3 actions with "A" profile barrels to build my .17 Mach IV and the .221 FB.

rugerdczr

Blackhawk
I know this is a old post but I just took in a No 3 223 ser # 130-733XX 1979 and took the scope off to install a different one and the rings are the same height but bases are about 1/8" off front sight is higher. they are Ruger Scope blocks mounts so I'm thinking they are for the No1 V not the No3,can anybody tell me the #3 part # ? and does anybody have a set for sale? Thanks