Went to the range and an amazing thing happened...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

foister82

Bearcat
So... I guess this is my introduction with everyone here. Nice to meet you :) Long time lurker first time poster.

I usually go to the range with my friends from church, taking along a gun guru of sorts who is his own walking armory. He always brings along tons of toys for us to test while we're there. I was head over heals for his XDM, and even went to a local gun shop and put one on layaway for around $600.

I went to the range today with some gear borrowed from the said friend... an XDM 9(like the one i have on layaway), a Ruger P95, my brother's glock 40, and my FIL's Beretta 96. This was the first time i ever considered comparing the P95 as i was kinda led away from it in the beginning. I was feeling that the xdm was a much better weapon and never really gave the P95 a chance. Several people oohed and ahhed at our selection, with the exception of the ruger. I think one guy mentioned that it was blasphemy to have the ruger setting amongst such great pistols.

After spending about five hours at the range ive come to the conclusion that the P95 is every bit as good as the more expensive pistols, has less feed issues, less picky about ammo, and is every bit as accurate. I called in to the gun shop where i have the xdm on layaway, and transferred the funds toward the P95 and will be going to pick it up today!

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum! I share your feelings on the P95. I've had Glocks, XD's, Berettas, and I like the P95 best. Strictly on feel the Beretta was my favorite, and I shot the Glock the best, but for the overall package the P95 is my hands-down favorite.

foister82

Bearcat
Yeah, they all have their perks

Glock-best trigger (used to be a police service model so it's been fired well more than any of the other guns we had)
Beretta-felt the best (had hogue grips)
XDm-Well, that briefcase is just awesome, and its by far the best LOOKING gun we had
P95-Looks good, shoots good, feels good. Doesn't master anything really, but is DEFINITELY the most balanced of the ones listed. Given, im comparing apples to oranges, strikers to hammers, 40s to 9mm etc

We have a baby on the way in october, so the fact that it's cheaper really helps out too.

Thanks for the welcome!

revhigh

Hawkeye
foister82":392at0cn said:
After spending about five hours at the range ive come to the conclusion that the P95 is every bit as good as the more expensive pistols, has less feed issues, less picky about ammo, and is every bit as accurate.

You may change that opinion once you become more experienced with firearms. The P95 is a fine weapon ... I'd go as far as to say it's the best 9MM in Ruger's auto lineup. It can be bought brand new for under $300, and is reliable and 'reasonably' accurate, note I said 'reasonably' accurate. It doesn't have any skeletons in it's closet, unlike Ruger's new releases, so that makes it more desirable. It is, however, NOT in the same class as Glocks, Sigs, CZ's, or XD's, in my opinion, especially in the accuracy department. You'll find that out once you become a more experienced shooter and gun owner.

If you ever go to trade it in, you'll be very disappointed at what you will hear. Having said that, I'd have no worry buying one provided you get it at the right price, which would be no more than $300 brand new. CDNN had these pistols brand new for $259 for blue, and $279 for stainless. Not sure if they still have them, but I'd sure check it out if I were you.

For a first 9MM auto, gotten at the right price, it's a legitimate choice. If your goal is range accuracy, you may outgrow it rather quickly. If you just want it for a nightstand gun, or to carry, it'll be fine.

Check out CDNN if you can ... ask for Seth.

REV

karateman

Bearcat
I really like the P95 as well, however I use the P95 as my main Home defense gun, and I use a G-19 for carry when I go on vacations. That is when I leave my home state of NJ.

I think the P95 is a very good gun for the price.

CAJUN COUNTRY

Bearcat
foister, I think you made a good choice. Bill Ruger got it right when he made the P95, it gives American shooters a durable, accurate gun that is also tolerant of many different types of ammo. Locally, I can buy a blue P95 for $299 and a stainless for $324. IMO we don't want to follow the Europeans by making shooting sports a hobby for the rich. The future of our 2nd amendment rights is in having as many people as possible enjoy gun ownership, and to me, that makes the P95 very American.

GhosT

Blackhawk
foister82,
First WELCOME ;)

Second,
Read both yer post....both made total sense.

Own a P95, love and trust it as one of 3 house handguns!

If ya get one...suggest the 2 things added to mine....down the line.

Hogue handall Grip(costs damn near nothing), just a rubber sleeve that stretches over the factory grip. .......
The factory grip can be slippery if wet from rain/snow..or sweaty hands if using for defense.

And Meprolight night sites....
Way cheaper than Trijicons,mine over a dozen years old and as bright as the day I bought them!

My P95....at the range proved easily at 35 to 40 yards, offhand..ya don't wanna be in front of it.
Safe bet, in my house the range is less than half of that!

Welcome to the forum and the P95 owners association.

Every time I read one of these I'm reminded that I need to take my two 'back up' p95s to the range and make sure they still work. The one I carry I put 20 or 30 rounds through a month, but the others have been sitting for just too damn long.

timjo1955a

Bearcat
I've put thousands of rounds through my KP95DC and G23- both reliable and both have a Hogue Handall.

foister82

Bearcat
thanks everyone for the tips and the welcomes :)

I'm definitely looking into the hogue slip on. My FIL beretta has them, and they feel great!

And im definitely not saying that the P95 is better than so and so gun, but that i was impressed by how comparable it was to the others especially for the price. Im not going to be doing matches or anything... just a house/car gun that i can take out to the range with friends and poke some holes in paper at 10-25 yards.

I completely understand that someone who has been shooting all his life will be able to hit 3" groups at 50 yards with his glock and not as good with the P95, however for my experience level, and with the baby on the way it was the most reasonable choice. I completely trust my accuracy to hit a human sized target center mass at 25 yards with about any of the handguns listed above.

If XDM .45 is out by tax season i'll probably grab one of those for gun#2 (well, 3 if you count the mosquito i had for a few months) and it will become my primary, but i am absolutely impressed and pleased with the quality of gun Mr Ruger has here for $299.

revhigh

Hawkeye
foister82":3k1vghd9 said:
i am absolutely impressed and pleased with the quality of gun Mr Ruger has here for $299.

I'm not a big fan of Ruger centerfire semi's, but I think the P95 is the best 9MM in the lineup. You made a good choice for your first CF SA. It should serve you well, and you got it at the right price. Congratulations and let us know how it works out.

REV

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
If the P95 is as good as the P90, and you bought is as a house gun, or carry gun, It fits the bill as well as any! It wasn't built as a target gun, tho surely some have been modified for such use. You did fine.
As my late father-in-law said, "Good is just so good. After that it's a waste". Meaning if it serves your intended purpose, and does so dependably, and has earned a good reputation, and suits you, why pay more?

Thunderhawk

Single-Sixer
After spending about five hours at the range ive come to the conclusion that the P95 is every bit as good as the more expensive pistols, has less feed issues, less picky about ammo, and is every bit as accurate. I called in to the gun shop where i have the xdm on layaway, and transferred the funds toward the P95 and will be going to pick it up today!

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on ordering a great gun. Though I have different brands of pistols, my P-95 has a special place for me. There is just something special about it.

jocko

Bearcat
I think a "good" shooter can make the P95 walk the walk and talk the talk..