Went to Pick up my SP101...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
So, I went to pick up the 2 1/4" DAO CTC grip SP101 right after lunch. I filled out the paperwork, paid my money, and got a delay put on my background check. WTH? Same thing happened when I bought my SR9 in Dec. I stay out of trouble, and I know I'll pass it. I'm just extremely anxious to go shoot it. Just picked up the last box of . 38 spl from Wally World (130 gr. MC non+P for $16) so I can high tail it to the farm when I get the call. I pray it's today. haha

I was at Sportsmans Warehouse on Saturday and supposedly the agency they call had their conputers down. I have my opinion on why but it's just specuation. That is one of my favorite handguns. You might try the Trauch Grips or the Hogue grips, the factory grips whack my knuckle with the 357 Mag rounds.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Like I said, same thing happened a few months ago. They also told me they have been having a few problems with it this last week. I'm execting a call before lunch tomorrow.

It comes with the factory CT grips. I'll probably just keep those and not shoot .357 mags too often. hahaha

resident

Single-Sixer
Down here in God's Country TEXAS...if the Brady background check ain't responded in 5-hours....they gotta let you have your gun!

Move to Texas!

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
resident":280o4fru said:
Down here in God's Country TEXAS...if the Brady background check ain't responded in 5-hours....they gotta let you have your gun!

Move to Texas!

HELL NO! LOL I lived there before. Moved back to OK as soon as I could walk. haha My entire family is from there.

There's a reason why it's God's country... Only God wants it. :wink:

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
NICS really was down on Saturday night. I work at Academy Sports & Outdoors behind the gun counter, and it said they were temporarily out of service.

By the way, anyone can be delayed for any reason. It has nothing to do with your history. You could simply have the same name as someone or they could be backed up. Usually they call and proceed it within a few days.

e3mrk

Bearcat
I get delayed every time I buy a Fire Arm.
A Policeman I know ran a background check on Me and it came up fine,Nobody can tell Me why I am put on hold.
I then called the BATF and asked Them what the problem was and I was told that most likely Someone else that had the same Name as Me was a Felon and that They had to do a more thorough check on Me,I have always been approved in three days or less.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I know I'm just being impatient. I have done anything illegal/stupid in years. LOL So, I have no worries. Ready for a new toy. Just like Christmas, then being told I have to wait until the day after.

EnzNow

Bearcat
Cocked and Locked":30oj3vsm said:
If in North Carolina (resident) and have a NC state issued concealed carry permit..No Background Check Required. Probably other states that way as well.

Same deal in AZ. If you have a CCW, no need for FFL to call FBI. Just fill out paperwork and take home firearm. I love this state. Bought my first gun on the way home from the Motor Vehicle Dept, less then an hour after getting my residency, in form of drivers licence.

-EnzNow

Knuckles

Buckeye
It's the same in Michigan now... I was surprised the last time I picked up a hand gun and after paying the balance, the salesman says "thank you... have a nice day"... then I remembered the change for CPL buyers.

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
Appx 3 years ago I started to get a delay every single time I bought a gun. Has happened the last 12 or so times. My dealer asked the examiner, and was told the same as e3mrk, A felon has the same name, or you may be on a watch list. WTH! Thats BS, because I put my SS # on the 4473, eliminating the chance of it not being me. and a very complete search was done for me by a private investagator. Everything comes back clean, as it should.
I believe its a delay tactic to discourage people from buying guns. Happens to too many folks who have absolutely no criminal history.
Our tax dollars at work.
My 2 cents, worth what you paid for it.
Tom
P.S. I be dammed if their game is gonna stop me from buying more guns.

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
In Utah most of the dealers take your 2 forms of idea and call in your name while you fill out the yellow paper. Usually by the time your done with the paper they have the OK. With our carry permit it doesn't cost anything without the charge is $7. During a big gunshow it takes a little longer because they get backed up but even then it doesn't take very long.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I've had the same thing happen to me, always on a Sunday. I'm told it is most likely because I have the same name as someone with a felony conviction, and the agency has to do a manual review of my status. But there is no one there on Sunday to do that. Both my first, middle and last name are common.

In my case, I actually had this confirmed in the course of my employment by chancing to enocunter my namesake's attorney, who, upon hearing me identify myself on the phone, at first thought I was his client. :)

I'd like to think there is some deep, dark conspiracy behind this, but having worked with, and for the Gov't, I can tell you they aren't organized enough to pull it off.

So, now I am not only living in a state mired in the past where I cannot buy beer on Sunday, I can't buy a gun either.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
LAST UPDATE: Until I post pics of it tomorrow. Didn't go in yesterday, but checkied in this afternoon. Still no news, but since tomorrow's the 5th day (federal law) it's mine. I'm going to be there at 8:00 AM when they open and picking it up.

I hope nobody else has to go through the anguish I have. It's killer. LOL

Moore-D

Bearcat
I hear your pain in this situation. Being from Ontario, we usually have to wait a week at least to get the proper paperwork to take it home. It's mostly due to the fact that we need to have a valid membership at a gun range/club in order to transport handguns in our cars. The name switching doesn't pose a problem because we all have to have a firearms license issued from the government just to buy the darn things. I once waited 2 weeks plus a day for a Ruger Vaquero to be switched over so I could take it home.

I feel your pain......

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
THE WAIT IS OVER!!! WOOHOO!!!

The store opened up at 9:00 am, I was there at 9:02. I was killing time at the coffee shop until they did. lol I'm going to give it a quick wipe down and light oiling; then, off to the farm to test fire. Might as well pick up some hollow points and sight in the laser.

My cheap-o camcorder sometimes takes good pictures, these aren't the best. haha I also took a pic with my O.D. SR9. The 10/22 is in the truck, and I didn't feel like walking outside to get it for a Ruger family potrait. :)

IMG00039.jpg

IMG00046.jpg