Went and found and bought a 22/45 MK 4 today.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
So I went to a local gunshop and bought a 22/45 MK 4 today. It is the model with a 5-1/2 inch bull barrel, plastic grip frame and adjustable sights.It will be two weeks before I can pick it up. I wanted a Standard model with a metal frame and with a 4-3/4 or 6 inch barrel, was unable to find one, so I got the 22/45. I paid $468.50 including tax. it does come in a nice plastic case with a extra magazine, paperwork and a lock. It was a little expensive considering about 20 years ago I bought two MK 2 49th aniversary models new in box for $150.00 each plus tax. I will need to change out the front sight for one that doesn't have a hook on it to catch in the holster and maybe add a Tandemkross Blast Shield to get rid of the magazine safety. I already have bought spare parts in case I break or lose something. I read somewhere that you can use the front sight off a Single Six revolver, if that don't work I have a bunch of NOS front sights off of AMT Lightning pistols that are in different heights for bull barrels. I need to order some extra magazines also.

INLINECHEVY6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Last time I bought a new or used gun in a gunshop was fill out form 4473, show my drivers lic and CPL and I was out the door with the gun in less than 15 minutes. First time I bought a new gun was in 1961 in California and all I had to do was have the store owner call my mom to ok it and pay the money. No paperwork and I had me a Winchester model 67 bolt action rifle. I believe it was $22.00 plus tax.

INLINECHEVY6.

The 5 1/2" heavy barrel is likely one of the best choices for most users. A little more weight 'out front' than the 4" and much steadier than the LITE for off hand shooting. Less likely to blow the top off your sandbags, too. If you're really into tinkering, install a VQ accurizing kit and add an optic. My 4" 22/45 III is around 3-4 MOA @ 100 yards. We used to think that was pretty good accuracy for a deer rifle.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Congratulations! Happy NGD to you! :)

Did you get the Target or one of the Lite series?

Any pics… we love pics?
Target model. I wanted the old style frame design with a 4-3/4 or 6 inch barrel, but could not find any locally, so this will do for now. I do own a 1911 style pistol, so this will be a good gun for practicing my 1911 skills.

INLINECHEVY6.

Quick Draw

Bearcat
Check with Volquartsen Clearance page from time to time. Sometimes they have 4-3/4 and 6 inch take off barrels on sale for 40-50 dollars. I just looked and nothing right now but you never know.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Check with Volquartsen Clearance page from time to time. Sometimes they have 4-3/4 and 6 inch take off barrels on sale for 40-50 dollars. I just looked and nothing right now but you never know.
I have new barrels I bought from Jim Clark Sr. and Volquartsen about 25 years ago. I also have a Brownells reciever wrench to remove barrels. I hope to buy a 22/45 MK 4 with the old profile metal grip frame that I am more use to. I will keep the 22/45 now to help my 1911 handling skills.

INLINECHEVY6.

I have new barrels I bought from Jim Clark Sr. and Volquartsen about 25 years ago. I also have a Brownells reciever wrench to remove barrels. I hope to buy a 22/45 MK 4 with the old profile metal grip frame that I am more use to. I will keep the 22/45 now to help my 1911 handling skills.

INLINECHEVY6.

Great fun in doing it yourself and learning how your guns function.