Went ahead & Ordered Hogue Grip + Shims & Wolff Springs for the Upcoming SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
Found a Hogue Black Rubber grip for $12 Shipped NEW + Ordered a shim kit & a Wolff Spring Kit
Made sure to get hammer dog shims + Trigger & Hammer shims
Back when I had my last SP101 I had to make the shims from feeler gauges & even back then got springs from Wolff Gun Springs
Stoked to finally have a SP101 coming my way, It's been almost 20+ years = Can't Wait!!!
I do remember not being able to use the lightest hammer spring in the 9mm SP101 as the moon clips seemed to soak up some of the hammer strike
All of the old SP101s were that = the older style with non MIM Parts
This will be my 1st of the newer type & my 6th SP101
Sold many off to fund my 1st Home, But it was worth it...

2-1/2" Ruger SP101 357 Magnum
Ruger SP101 357 Magnum.jpg

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
I have a couple in my stash that are big enough for the SP101 snub, It's a bit bigger than a S&W J Frame & some Colt Detective Special holsters work quite well.
I also have a Sticky that will work too
20220124_193931.jpg

20220211_024219.jpg
20220211_140915.jpg

This Holster was made for a Hk P2000sk, It's softer Buffalo Leather & gives some
20220212_194052.jpg

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
Found a DAO Factory Bobbed Hammer for the SP101 but it's the older non MIM type (y)
Been looking for a while for one + it comes with a SA hammer & some other shotgun parts
Unsure if it will work with the current 2017 gun or not or if I will have to get a hammer of similar vintage or if it will even work at all
I paid way too much for it & it was the only one available SO~~~
It's a project in the work & will have the hammer here next week & the revolver won't be here until July the 1st
Got a Don Hume JIT for the SP101 + a Hogue Grip, shims & spring kit for a GP100 & cylinder end shake shims too

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
If you can sometime get the shims; to me it does more than the springs.

That is where this shim kit came from
Everything I need & some for the future too
Here's what the hammer looks like
Seller says these are two SP101 hammers
I see one SP101 early DAO hammer & a single action spurred hammer of some type
Ruger Hammers.jpg

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
Went ahead & ordered a trigger group from an earlier non MIM SP101 for $35 complete that way I can fit the milled parts to the MIM SP101 IF they are the same & can be swapped
The miller trigger I will round the face with the shoeshine technique
If not, it will give me the wild hair to go find another 3" 9mm SP101
I know the trigger groups are fitted to each frame
Will have to just wait & see
s-l1600.jpg

JIT.jpg

Here's the Don Hume JIT I just got from Sutter Holsters

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
I ordered a trigger group from an early SP101 to mate to the DAO early hammer
The trigger group I received was warped & bent so bad the trigger pin wouldn't push through or even drive in with a hammer
You could see whom ever took the revolver apart pried the trigger group out with a screwdriver warping not only the group but the trigger too
Pretty much made the parts scrap, they are boxed up for a return to the seller.
Be careful what you buy
I wanted a solid non MIM trigger so I could round the face & do the shoeshine technique with a strip of crocus cloth & polish it smooth as glass
Polished the pivot pin for the trigger & still couldn't get it to push or dive through the trigger group I bought or the trigger either
Took these photos to show where they are bent or warped for the seller
Red arrows show the pry marks & where the holes aren't aligned
The only usable parts where the transfer bar, hand + plungers & springs
Total waste of my time ordering this thing 👇
sp101 trigger I - Copy.JPG
sp101 trigger II.JPG
sp101 trigger III.JPG

Ruger 10/22

Bearcat
Haven't returned the JUNK SP101 parts yet but will this week
Kentucky Derby was yesterday & I live two miles from Louisville on the Indiana side of the border
All the crazy kooks are now leaving the area & the town of Clarksville is quiet except for folks taking their mother's out for Mother's Day Breakfast & Lunch

Took my Wife to Frishes for the breakfast bar & bought Her a new flower that I need to go out & plant
Blower motor resistor went bad on Her Honda Accord that I need to look at & replace pronto = No heat or A/C

53 days till constitutional carry becomes law here in Indiana

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

Last edited:

VINNYD

Bearcat
I did a trigger job using the kit from M CARBO. Main spring and rebound spring and shims also come with kit. Did a little polishing too. Went from about 12lbs to 7 to 8 pounds. Launched the pawl plunger and spring into never-never land while working on it (easy to do)! After a couple of hours, I found it (what a pain)! However, happy with the results. Also added "Packmayr" grips.
IMG_1437.JPG

Wow! Is any of that going to make the gun more reliable and more accurate? I have an old model SP 101 stock except for elk horn inserts. It shoots fine, carries well in spite of a 3 inch barrel. Glad y'all enjoy fiddling with your stuff. If it ain't broke, why are ya fixing it?
gramps