Well, this was strange

Help Support Ruger Forum:

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
I occasionally have strange things happen to me. I suppose we all do. Yesterday I was headed home from errands and stopped in the local pawn shop, as I sometimes do. I have made several purchases from them and whether or not they were bargains can probably be debated. However, I have always been happy with the deals so that makes them okay to me. I looked in their hand gun case and there is a .357 flat top for $400! I'm thinking this must be a mistake and ask to see it. Of course it turns out to be a 50th model. There is some rust on the side of the hammer, as I've seen on others, but is otherwise in pretty great shape. This one is definitely a shooter as it has a turn ring started and the face of the cylinder shows the typical powder marks. The guy there tells me that it comes with the original box and paperwork, and if I'm interested he'll let me have it for $350. I looked it over and decided against it, thanked him and left. Well, got home, told the wife about it (kind of) and found out I had to run out for more chores. Got to thinking about the pistol and on the way home stopped back in the pawn shop. Looked it over a little more closely and decided to counter offer so offered them $325 + tax. I now have a new addition to the family.

All of this is pretty normal. However, when I looked at the seriel number I figured that I could maybe post it here to see if anyone was interested in that particular number. The last four digits are 8881. Nothing to extrodinary I suppose. Just for comparison, I looked at the 50th I already had. Here's the strange part, the one I already have is number 8883! I bought mine in Jan '06. What are the odds of this happening? I guess I'll just have to keep it and use it as a shooter. Would sure hate to break up a family like this one.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? Just had to share.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Oh-oh, the next thing that'll happen is that you'll start looking for more Rugers with similar serial numbers!

Don't ask me how I know that!

:D

flatgate

Pinecone

Blackhawk
C'mon frontstuffers, you "know" you just have got to have 8882 now! A trio of consec. #'s might be a very good investment provided the world don't end soon!........................Dick :mrgreen:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Well this isn't quite so strange, but my 44 spl and my BH 357 anniversary have the same serial numbers, but in a different order. I thought that was kind of cool.

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Pinecone, have to admit it would be pretty cool to have a trio like that but am afraid 8882 would have to have the front sight removed. That way it would be easier to remove after wife discovered I'd bought it. :shock: Darn front sights keep hanging up on things making it harder to remove. :roll:

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
"If you want to stick with the Odd # theme, 8885 is out there somewhere"

Oh thanks Chuckbuster, that's what I need to know. Now I really won't be able to sleep. :shock: Before long you guys will have me looking for the whole set of ten. :lol:

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
I met a fellow who has a 357 Maximum with serial number xx49. Wouldn't you know that he happens to live in Alaska, the 49th state.

Lost Sheep