Well, I feel like a dummy!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
It's Saturday morning and I have a small deposit to make. So I've been sitting here waiting for the banks to open at 9:00 a.m.

I'm making my deposit at an ATM!

Bob Wright

I go into my local bank about once a week (on the same day and time) to see if they have any dollar coins (Ike or older) they want to get rid of. They don't like them because they don't have coin slots/holders for them any more. I buy what they have (if any) and the tellers I know will save them up for me since they know when I come in. Believe or not, I've gotten quite a few old silver dollars over the years doing this. Over the years I've found most bank tellers aren't really coin collectors. I wonder if it's because they handle money all day long?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Our here in my part of PA most banks are open for a couple hours on Saturday, but I am an ATM fanatic. Have not been inside a bank in a decade or more.
My bank has a few branches that are open on Saturday mornings, but my branch is not one of them. But I do like to go into my bank branch just to visit with the folks there. You'd think I had a million dollars, or more, on deposit there from the way they treat me.

But so many of my bank's ATMs are included in the drive-in lanes but they are just to difficult to operate from my vehicle. But I chose the ATM today as I received a check yesterday and wanted to deposit it today.

Bob Wright

Enigma

Hunter
I normally use the ATM to make deposits, as it saves me having to stand in line at my branch bank. Another plus is that I can go there even when the bank is closed, swipe my ATM card to gain entry to the lobby/ATM, complete my business, and go on my way. It's much more secure than using a stand-alone ATM, and it's relatively close to home.

Around here they are closing most of the banks. They want everything done online.

And truthfully it can be. Deposits of checks with your phone, etc.

I’ve been inside a bank twice in the last 10 years. And the ATM only a handful of times.

87flht

Bearcat
I go into my local bank about once a week (on the same day and time) to see if they have any dollar coins (Ike or older) they want to get rid of. They don't like them because they don't have coin slots/holders for them any more. I buy what they have (if any) and the tellers I know will save them up for me since they know when I come in. Believe or not, I've gotten quite a few old silver dollars over the years doing this. Over the years I've found most bank tellers aren't really coin collectors. I wonder if it's because they handle money all day long?
I also pick up dollar coins , not as many as I used to . That’s how I bought my last motorcycle and the seller didn’t want cash 4500 unwrapped dollar coins

Sam Summey

Single-Sixer
My bank has a few branches that are open on Saturday mornings, but my branch is not one of them. But I do like to go into my bank branch just to visit with the folks there. You'd think I had a million dollars, or more, on deposit there from the way they treat me.

But so many of my bank's ATMs are included in the drive-in lanes but they are just to difficult to operate from my vehicle. But I chose the ATM today as I received a check yesterday and wanted to deposit it today.

Bob Wright
Bob that is "my kind of bank".

My uncle (actually my father's cousin, but I always called him Uncle Tom) died 10 years ago- at age 85. He left me his "coin collection" - actually just a bunch of coins and currency stuffed in a canvas bag. Turns out this money was collected by his mother, who for decades (both before and after WW II) was a bank teller. Every time she encountered an old coin (or paper currency) she'd buy it from the bank, bring it home and put it in that sack.

I did a full inventory of all of those coins, then cross-checked them to numismatists' coin values. Not many had any special value, and most were so covered with crud (oil, etc.) that it was not possible to determine which mint originally struck them. Still, they had interesting historical value. There were many pre-1900 coins of all denominations (including more than 20 silver dollars) and silver certificate paper money, and much of the coinage was in decent condition. I thought about breaking out a can of Brasso but decided against it. I know - coin collectors would frown at cleaning up these coins. But my purpose in holding them was to be able to examine them - not re-sell them.

Last Christmas my 10-year-old granddaughter visited, and I showed the coins to her. She spent a couple of hours happily examining them, and reading about the various coins' origins - how to determine which mint each coin came from, and which were rarer than others. So, with her dad's (my eldest son's) blessing, I gifted the entire collection to my granddaughter.

The actual currency value was around $150, and the "collector's value" was certainly much greater. But the greatest value was the smile that collection put on my granddaughter's face.

Uncle Tom also left me a Colt 1908 Pocket Hammerless 380 ACP that his father bought new the same year Uncle Tom was born (1923), and gave to Uncle Tom when he enlisted in the Navy in 1941. My eldest son - now a CWO Blackhawk pilot and formerly a 160th SOAR crew chief - now has that Colt.

Throughout WW II Uncle Tom was a tin can sailor - a torpedoman - in the Atlantic theater; my father was also a tin can sailor - fire controlman - in the Pacific. They spun many yarns whenever they got together.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
Crapitol One has closed every branch within a half hour from my house. We've been with them for 40 years since they were Chevy Chase S&L!!!

How do you access your safety deposit box online?

Bob Wright
I closed it too when Crapital One closed my branch. I have a fireproof safe at home.
I use online banking more than anything else. My SS and payroll go in as direct deposit. And I have used an ATM about twice a month to get a bit of walking around money.

Bob, we all have brain farts occasionally.

Last edited:

Armybrat

Buckeye
We don’t use our mobile phones for financial transactions.

My dad collected Spanish Pillar Dollars & Mexican coins. He also wrote a column for Coin World back in the 1960s & 1970s.
He made a nice collection over about 35 years, and eventually divided it up three ways for us boys before he passed away 20 years ago.
Its gonna be a chore to divide it three ways for my three sons.
Here’s part of my share of his collection.

Attachments

• 76F28763-188C-4C12-8273-C09FB0EE0CCB.jpeg
    76F28763-188C-4C12-8273-C09FB0EE0CCB.jpeg
    757.3 KB · Views: 7
  • A67659BA-27CE-461D-B6EE-B7FF085AD392.jpeg
    A67659BA-27CE-461D-B6EE-B7FF085AD392.jpeg
    784.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 7BCCC3B9-53D4-474E-9331-2C28700D0B8B.jpeg
    7BCCC3B9-53D4-474E-9331-2C28700D0B8B.jpeg
    702.7 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts