Weight loss plan for original Vaquero 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
Been kicking around this idea for a while and tonight i did it. My 357 original Vaquero is HEAVY, with steel grip frame and itty bitty holes in the big beefy cylinder. Well cant do much about the big beefy cylinder's little holes (at least on my budget) but i can do something about the steel grip frame. I swapped the aluminum GF off my single six onto the Vaquero. Feels a pound lighter. Wish i had done it long ago.

On the left.
2189A0EF-BCD0-4DCD-8865-03F02387E9CF-372-0000003324D5AB7D_zpsd06e8347.jpg

**edit**
Wow, thats a crappy pic. Will try to get better one soon.

street

Hunter
Try taking the picture using a tripod and no flash. The flash mounted on the camera will give you washed out and reflected light spots on your firearms. To use a flash it needs to be mounted off camera and the light from it diffused by a softbox or umbrella. It's not the easiest thing to do.

gunsbam69

Hunter
A .45 Colt has much bigger holes in the cylinders, and in the barrel, thus relieving much of the metal weight of the firearm. It'd really feel light with the aluminum grip frame then :mrgreen:

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Got me a 4 5/8" stainless Bisley Vaquero .357, and the impression it always gives me is "heavy gun." I love it, though.

Crappy pic notwithstanding, your modification seems to have turned out well. Besides the overall weight savings, how does it feel now?

I have a real soft spot in my heart for Vaqueros of all varieties. Family budget doesn't allow me to own many of them, otherwise I'd probably amass a large collection.