Weekend of interest..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Hopefully, I'll not be labeled a raciest for this:

This weekend we had a tremendous celebration here in Memphis. This was the weekend of the Southern Heritage Classic, a football game between Tennessees State College in Nashville and Jackson State College in Jackson, Tennessee. Both of these schools are predominately black.

The weekend includes a fashion show, a parade, and "tailgating" in Tiger Lane at Liberty Bowl Staduim. From my observation, the football game itself sort of fades into the background. The tailgating seems to take center stage. "Tiger Lane" is staked off with electrical outlets and tents and grills spot out the way to the stadium. The local, and imported Southern black folk, are known for their BBQ, and all during the game day Saturday, the aroma of hickory and oak smoke wafts through the air. The air this day being slightly coolish with the feel of fall in the air.

I drove down Park Avenue, the route of the parade just before its being closed off to traffic, and saw folks lining the street getting the best point for viewing. Home owners along the way set up snow-cone stands, soft drink stands, and grills selling grilled frankfurters, sausages, baloney and ribs.

Somewhat of a surprise to me was the number of white faces in the crowds. There was an old saying at one time, "If you want to see another white face, you'll have to look in a mirror." No longer true now, if ever.

My whole pojnt in posting this is that I'm an old time Memphian, brought up in the old days of segregation, when white and black folks never crossed the line. Then came the integration days of the 'Sixties with the race riots and general unrest. Since that time the South has made great strides to erase the old lines that separated us of old, and little by little, harmony is raising its head. We've a way to go yet, but one football rivalry has sure helped bridge the gap.

Bob Wright

stevemb

Hunter
With football as a common denominator, glad things went well. I've gotten to work my career with a good number of good people, both black and white. Learned early to like/dis-like, one at a time.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I normally don't see color, until someone starts behaving like they just jumped out of a stereotype. When that happens, I can slap a label on someone as fast as anyone. However...

Over the years, I've observed more and more of what folks have known for millennia: every culture has a focal point in its food, and sharing it is very important. In ours, BBQ tends to bring out the best in folks, regardless of their color or background. It seems everyone behaves better while breathing that smoke! It's a great unifier!

Glad you saw the same, Bob!

Rick C

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

I normally don't see color, until someone starts behaving like they just jumped out of a stereotype. When that happens, I can slap a label on someone as fast as anyone. However...

Not being blind I see color when color is present. I do make an effort not to react to color alone, but I don't pretend to be unaware of it's existence or presence. If I am not labeled a racist at least once a month, I know that I am not getting out enough. Since racist can mean anything from someone who is aware of their own race to someone who advocated violence against other races, the word has little meaning any longer.

I don't think treating people with respect means not seeing what color they are. Sorry to be nit picking, but it is a complicated subject that often gets a superficial or simple treatment.