Weekend find BKH 45 X ( The Letter )

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi I was driving by a gun shop this weekend and at the last second and decided to stop well there in the case was a brass framed BKH 45 X in the box with the correct APC cyl box red bag the original grip frame grips trigger manual and warranty card 99% gun box is very nice one popped corner on bottom half What is the value of a package like this would love some opinions I couldn't leave it there for what he sold it to me for but I don't need someone telling me I'm full of crap so I wont tell what I paid

Gramps

XcTjXmk.jpg

NqeN7WB.jpg

flattop44

Buckeye
I would put the gun with its original grip frame at $1,250 or so retail. The brass frame at around $400 - 450. Now let's hear the good deal you got!
FT44

Will it "letter" as a convertible?

Will it "letter" as a brass frame?

Brass-framed converibles are apparently possible, although difficult/impossible to "letter".

Box alone would go at least $100. Also papers and stuff.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Hi The apc cyl is numbered to the gun so I'm sure it is a convertible but I doubt it would letter as a brass frame seeing that the original grip frame and grips were with it and I do not believe there were any brass framed BKH 45s I will send for a letter As for the price I didn't plan on posting it but changed my mind $695 like I said I could not leave it there :D :D

Gramps

How does that saying go even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while I just downloaded the letter request form after a call to Ruger they can not give any info over the phone on anything older than 1985

Gramps

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Gramps: regarding your post . Outstanding!!! However, there are lettered brass framed BHs in 45 LC. Got a couple. Were you referring to something else? again, proud of you.

Regards

Pretty sure Gramps was referring to brass-framed .45 convertibles. I'm not aware of any that will "letter" as factory original, and the RENE Reference pretty much confirms this.

Gramps will correct me if I've spoken out of turn. :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,,, Ruger did make brass framed SINGLE CYLINDER GUNS IN 45 COLT. They did not,, according to all KNOWN information make any factory CONVERTIBLE .45 cal guns with 2 cylinders.

The gun mentioned above came with 2 cylinders,, of which are numbered to the gun. It came with a spare g/f & grips, trigger too. I, along with a few others feel it will "letter" as a convertible,, but NOT a brass framed convertible.

contender

Ruger Guru
Key word there,, "verified."

I have seen those notes,, and since the brassies came along after the flood, the factory would have the records. FINDING the info in the records may be the issue. But as a collector,, I'd NOT pay a premium for an unverified convertible brassie except as a sum of the parts.
But if someone were able to get one,, that by all inspections, appearances, and a properly marked shipper box,, and was able to verify it with the factory, they would have a really rare one for sure.

I completely agree Ty the 6 known would have to be guys that claim they bought them new that way but I lean toward for what ever the reason the selling dealer swapped them out I'm having a disagreement with a dealer now about a #1 in a configuration that the owner claims he bought new un altered so to settle the dispute I'm sending for a letter if it letters I will be adding one to the collection

Gramps