Weatherby Mark XXII SA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
While perusing the Weatherby catalog, I noticed that their .22rf SA looked mighty familiar...trigger group, magazine, bolt...
Now I kinda enjoyed the irony of somebody poaching on Ruger's reservation, rather than the other way around. Ruger has never been above 'borrowing' somebody else's good idea.
That said, I wondered if Ruger had any official connection with the Weatherby products? Gotta believe parts will interchange.
BTW, the Weatherby can be cleaned from the breech end; they put that hole in the receiver that many of us have wished for.
Moon

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I do believe they're using a Magnum Research receiver.There's plenty of manufacturers making copies of the 10/22 receiver. Weatherby just decided to be one of the few to market a complete firearm based on it.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":yk6fkd3e said:
I do believe they're using a Magnum Research receiver.There's plenty of manufacturers making copies of the 10/22 receiver. Weatherby just decided to be one of the few to market a complete firearm based on it.

Now that makes sense. Any notion if they are using another mfg's trigger group as well? I would guess the patents (if any) on the 10/22 are long gone.
Considering the crappy nature of most .22rf mags, having the reliable and plentiful Ruger ones is a plus.
Moon

XLIV

Single-Sixer
I have a Mark XXII and it isnt anything like a 10/22..

Mine has a grooved receiver for a propietary scope, a selector knob to go from semi auto to single shot, and a standard 5 and 10 round clip magazine..

..not to mention gorgeous wood, ebony cap, montecarlo stock., etc.

What model Weatherby are you looking at?

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
XLIV":kzoy344m said:
I have a Mark XXII and it isnt anything like a 10/22..

Mine has a grooved receiver for a propietary scope, a selector knob to go from semi auto to single shot, and a standard 5 and 10 round clip magazine..

..not to mention gorgeous wood, ebony cap, montecarlo stock., etc.

What model Weatherby are you looking at?
Oh, I think your rifle and the one I saw are one and the same. I'd expect a little nicer wood and finish on a Weatherby compared to my $175 Ruger.
It does appear that they use similar actions and, especially, the rotary magazine.
Moon

XLIV

Single-Sixer
nope, no rotary magazine on this Mark XXII..haven't seen the one youre referring to. Mine was made in Japan in the early 70's and the action is so complex it's difficult to tear down and clean.

My camera is at work but here's an early ad for the rifle..
39730.jpg

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Thought I had lost my mind for a minute, as I can't find the newer semi-auto on Weatherby's webpage either.
First off, XLIV, your rifle is beautiful but NOT the one I was talking about.
Second, I saw the one that opened this discussion on a Weatherby hardcopy catalog, not the online one.
The rifle in question was absolutely based on the Ruger design. And since Blackhawk 73 knew what I was talking about, I'm not delusional either! :lol:
Moon

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
halfmoonclip":ms1mrzvf said:
Thought I had lost my mind for a minute, as I can't find the newer semi-auto on Weatherby's webpage either.
First off, XLIV, your rifle is beautiful but NOT the one I was talking about.
Second, I saw the one that opened this discussion on a Weatherby hardcopy catalog, not the online one.
The rifle in question was absolutely based on the Ruger design. And since Blackhawk 73 knew what I was talking about, I'm not delusional either! :lol:
Moon

I've seen pictures of the Weatherby "Ruger clone" and it looks good but pricey. Download the 2009 catalog to see it.
Go here: http://www.weatherby.com/_docs/Weatherby_2009_Catalog_72dpi.pdf :mrgreen:

XLIV

Single-Sixer
yep, youre right..it sure looks similar to a 10/22 to me also.

the older ones like mine are a dream to shoot..everything you'd expect from a weatherby

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
wetidlerjr":k90z62dv said:
[

I've seen pictures of the Weatherby "Ruger clone" and it looks good but pricey. Download the 2009 catalog to see it.
Go here: http://www.weatherby.com/_docs/Weatherby_2009_Catalog_72dpi.pdf :mrgreen:

Thank you, thank you. I always feel better when I know I'm not nuts!
On another forum, the new S&W .22 rf AR-clone is under discussion; it is a masterpiece of simplicity compared to the Colt version. The Ruger 10/22 is another such masterpiece, and I fully understand why Weatherby 'borrowed' the design. Great magazines, easy barrel changes, and abundant aftermarket parts. Dress it up in pretty Weatherby wood and finish, and voila!
Moon