Weasel/Ermine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
street said:
It sure is sad when the resident expert gets corrected :oops: :oops: :oops:
Never claimed to be an expert on anything, much less the critters in question. We don't have ermines or weasels here and Hawaii is the only place in North America to encounter a mongoose so they're outside my wheelhouse. It's no great feat to catch someone wrong about a subject in which they have little to no knowledge.

Correction for educational/information purposes is fine. Doing so to embarrass or humiliate is quite another. Rubbing it in just makes you a troll but we knew that already.

BearBio

Buckeye
From Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency:

"Status in Tennessee: Long-tailed Weasels are uncommon in the state; they are still trapped for their fur."
and:

"This weasel, which is found across Tennessee, has the largest distribution of any mustelid in North America."

Craig certainly is NOT an expert on species in his own state. Once again, Craig attacks the messenger.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
A couple days ago,I was driving on a ranch road and a long tailed weasel ran across,in front of me with tail erect.I was hoping to lip squeak it back in to view and get a picture but it wasn't to be.

CraigC

Hawkeye
BearBio said:
From Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency:

"Status in Tennessee: Long-tailed Weasels are uncommon in the state; they are still trapped for their fur."
and:

"This weasel, which is found across Tennessee, has the largest distribution of any mustelid in North America."

Craig certainly is NOT an expert on species in his own state. Once again, Craig attacks the messenger.
Like I said, I never claimed to be so I'm not sure what you think you've accomplished here.

Tennessee is a very long state with a significant variation in habitat from one end to the other, with the Mississippi River area, which is as flat as the delta on one end and the Smoky Mountains on the other. Since I'm about six hours from the mountains of east Tennessee where weasels are less "uncommon" but still rare, I have never encountered one. Nor do I know of anyone who has encountered one, including several trappers. Myriad coons, possums, foxes, coyotes, skunks, armadillos, beavers, ground hogs and otters but no weasels. If I lived in Hawaii, where they are a rampant pest, which was the point, I'm sure I would be very well educated on the subject of weasels and mongooses. As it stands, where I live and what I do, I honestly don't give a rat's ass.

I don't attack because of your message. What I have a problem with is your intent. You can act coy or play passive-aggressive but we both know that you're only giving me a hard time because of past exchanges in other threads. Now, oh Washington tree hugging liberal, don't you have a bear defense thread to pollute with your "expertise", having never killed a bear in your life? If you have a personal issue with me, take it to PM's and stop polluting Dick's thread with your vindictive rhetoric.

BearBio

Buckeye
Short Barrel said:
A couple days ago,I was driving on a ranch road and a long tailed weasel ran across,in front of me with tail erect.I was hoping to lip squeak it back in to view and get a picture but it wasn't to be.

I've had them stop to a lip squeak but never come back. I've also been "stalked" by them twice. I've seen more sea otters than long-tail or short-tail weasels.

BTW: otters (river and sea) and skunks are weasels.

My issue was with the statement "We don't have ermines or weasels here" which, as you can see is completely wrong.

And, now for something completely different..............

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
I grew up in the East and there are a lot of people that don't know there are weasels and wouldn't know what they look like.I know people who are life long MT natives and active hunters and trappers that don't realize there are spotted skunks in their areas.Once I figured out what to look for,I find them with relative ease and have taught others to do so.Some small animals just don't show themselves very often.

We have long tails,short tails and least weasels here.I've seen several long tails,both brown and white.