Weasel/Ermine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Saturday I took 2 of the grandson's on another Rock Chuck Safari & got real lucky again, got another Weasel. This is the summer time version of the 2 Ermine we got last winter when they are pure white. This time of year they are brown with a dull, yellow belly. If you know anything about these little guys you understand they are faster than a speeding bullet & extremely hard to get with a sixgun. I've only taken 2 in my life & both were in the last 6 months. You may have seen the white one I shot while hunting Cottontails this winter (Ermine) using my scoped Ruger 30 Carbine using 32/20 ammo. It took the top of his head off, just barely.
Saturday I was sitting on my 4 wheeler glassing for Rock Chucks & I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye, looking to my right I thought it was a young Rock Chuck that ducked down in some lava beside me so I eased out my 32 Maggie loaded with a 100 gr. cast slug backed with 3 grs. of WST & eared back the hammer. Pretty quick he popped up for a full scale peek & I'm looking at 6 ounces of pure killer, these little guys can kill Ground Squirrels & Cotton Tails like greased lightning, I've watched them do it. Anyway, I center punched him with the powder coated cast slug & he said "good night" & now I've got him in the freezer.
Same as last winter with the 2 Ermine, if someone wants a very unique pelt or mount, this is it, I'm going to give it to a forum member. He's frozen & I can wrap him so that he will still be cold to you or your taxidermist for a full mount or a tanned hide. There's no hide damage from the bullet.
The boys got 21 more Rock Chucks, that makes 111 so far on this one piece of property & there are still a lot of Chucks left!

Here's grandson Ridge with a real Hippo, taken with my AR.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Y'all need to take this show on the road. Hawaii is covered up in weasels and feral goats. Never wanted to spend a few days walking with a rifle so bad in my life!

CraigC

Hawkeye
Oh yeah, they're everywhere. No natural predators. You'll think they're squirrels running across the road until you realize, they're not. Lots of wild hogs too. We almost hit about a 300 pounder. This was on the big island.

contender

Ruger Guru
Wow,,, another one? Excellent!
I am awaiting on my taxidermist to finish my white one you sent me. I can't wait to add it to my collection of mounts here.
Someone needs to jump in on this Karma!

BearBio

Buckeye
CraigC said:
Y'all need to take this show on the road. Hawaii is covered up in weasels and feral goats. Never wanted to spend a few days walking with a rifle so bad in my life!

Those aren't weasels. They are mongooses. Not even closely related. "Herpestidae is placed within the suborder Feliformia, together with the cat, hyena, and civet families."

But unfortunately that family are just as relentless and effective killers as the family that weasels are in....

If you want to start a major extinction event, just introduce any predator to an island where they previously didn't exist! A fairly recent example like the mongoose in Hawaii is the introduction of a domesticated version of the King Snake to one of the Canary Islands where the native animals have no instinctual flight response to snakes (apparently done on purpose). Many ground dwelling species are just plain GONE. Similar to the effect of the New Guinea Brown Tree Snake on Guam, another wonderful effect of "globalization."

BearBio

Buckeye
Mike Armstrong said:
But unfortunately that family are just as relentless and effective killers as the family that weasels are in....

If you want to start a major extinction event, just introduce any predator to an island where they previously didn't exist! A fairly recent example like the mongoose in Hawaii is the introduction of a domesticated version of the King Snake to one of the Canary Islands where the native animals have no instinctual flight response to snakes (apparently done on purpose). Many ground dwelling species are just plain GONE. Similar to the effect of the New Guinea Brown Tree Snake on Guam, another wonderful effect of "globalization."

Actually introduced species don't always take over. We just don't hear about the ones that fail! If there is a niche available, a species will expand to fill it (Le Chatelier's Law). If there isn't an available niche, it will fail. If two species equally fill, one will win and one will lose (sometimes one is victorious and sometimes it's the other). This is Gause's Principle of Competitive Exclusion. Either way, the scarcest resource will determine who wins and the numbers (Law of the Minimum). I know this is more than you wanted to know but one of my Profs in grad school was real big on this and "mountain islands" (isolated mountain tops functioning as islands) and I found it REALLY interesting.

It is really interesting, to me at least. I'm one of those benighted souls who still believes in evolution, although I accept that the initial CAUSE of this beautiful, very complex, and fascinating process is still debatable and probably always will be. Just one of the many things I wish I had 73 more years to learn about....

BearBio

Buckeye
Mike Armstrong said:
It is really interesting, to me at least. I'm one of those benighted souls who still believes in evolution, although I accept that the initial CAUSE of this beautiful, very complex, and fascinating process is still debatable and probably always will be. Just one of the many things I wish I had 73 more years to learn about....

As my graduate professor said: One is Faith and the other is Science. One does not have to contradict the other.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
All I know, is they have removed the mice and squirrel populations at the homestead... To which I am greatful...
I've trapped them but skinnin'um kinda sucks.... especially the tail.....

CraigC

Hawkeye
BearBio said:
CraigC said:

Those aren't weasels. They are mongooses. Not even closely related. "Herpestidae is placed within the suborder Feliformia, together with the cat, hyena, and civet families."
Thanks professor. Even the .gov describes them as "weasel-like". For the purposes of this discussion, shooting them, what difference does it make?

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/invasive-species-profiles/mongoose/

BearBio

Buckeye
Science assigns them to the Suborder: Feliformia (or cat shaped). Weasels are related to the skunks and belong to the Suborder: Caniformia (or dog shaped). Of course, if you can't tell a dog from a cat................... :lol:

"Folk wisdom" seems to mix all these animals up--where I come from Little Spotted Skunks (which LOOK just like their common name) are called "Hyderphobia Cats." And we call Ringtails "Miners' Cats." And in Europe members of the Civet family often get called "Polecats."

"Looks" apparently CAN be deceiving....I guess that's partly what science is for.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Sorry, I never studied the critters and it's tough to identify them when they're running across the road at 70mph. Some don't know or care and it isn't relevant anyway. Can we move on now?

BearBio

Buckeye
CraigC said:
Sorry, I never studied the critters and it's tough to identify them when they're running across the road at 70mph. Some don't know or care and it isn't relevant anyway. Can we move on now?

LOL :lol: