Weapon Shield CLP...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

billt

Bearcat
I sent for, and got a free sample of it. It isn't bad stuff, and I'm not knocking it, but I don't see it doing anything different than any other lubricant. I have been trying different firearms lubrication products for years and have yet to find any that are any better than the Mobil 1, and common ATF that I've been using for years. Just more expensive. Bill T.

mbott

Bearcat
billt":jlleuvv6 said:
I have been trying different firearms lubrication products for years and have yet to find any that are any better than the Mobil 1 ...

Agreed. I was sent the sample too, and I used it on all my firearms and it work just as advertised, But, I still find myself coming back to Mobil1.

--
Mike

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
After the two Gulf hurricanes, Mobil 1 was reformulated due to shortages of the original main ingredient.

If you want what Mobil 1 USED to be, BreakFree CLP still uses PAO synthetic oil from the original Mobil 1 formulation. In addition, it offers corrosion protection that is far superior to any automotive lubrication product.

In fact, any premium gun oil will likely provide better corrosion protection than any motor oil. That may not be an issue for some users, but it's still nice insurance.

TucsonMTB

Bearcat
Natskidive":1fpmumnj said:
Anyone used it, as opposed to Break Free CLP, Militec-1, FP-10, etc? Thanks
Yep! After using the sample for a few days I ordered two large bottles. I really like it, mostly because it works as well or better than both Break Free CLP and Eezox, but has no unpleasant (to me) odor.

That may not be a big thing for most people, but my wife is alergic to most chemicals and sensitive to odors. She also shoots with me often, so for me, it is important. 8)

RDL

Bearcat
I also ordered a lagre bottle and have been using it on all of my guns. Works great. I agree that the odor is a lot more pleasant than the oil I was using.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I've personally found it to be a superb lubricant/protectant. It's replaced FP10 as my lubricant of choice.

Best, Jon

mbott

Bearcat
JohnKSa":39h729x5 said:
After the two Gulf hurricanes, Mobil 1 was reformulated due to shortages of the original main ingredient.

My guess is that what I have on hand was purchased prior to this.

--
Mike

billt

Bearcat
JohnKSa":it1h3x18 said:

Do you have a link that would back this up. Seems quite far fetched. Bill T.

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
No, there's not a single link that confirms it.

Here's an old (1991) Mobil 1 MSDS for Mobil 1

Ingredient: POLYALPHAOLEFINS
Ingredient Sequence Number: 01
Percent: >80%
NIOSH (RTECS) Number: 1001507PA
CAS Number: 68037-01-4

http://tranhaz-mat.sctc.edu/Oil_Filters/oil_msds.htm

Here's an MSDS for BreakFree CLP--it says that CAS 68037-01-4 is 53.4% of the weight of BreakFree.

http://www.wfrfire.com/msds/pdf/break.pdf

Ok, the part about the hurricanes disrupting the supply is harder to verify. I read that awhile back (maybe a year ago?) in a post from a person claiming to be retired from the oil industry. He was obviously very knowledgeable on the topic so I didn't ask for links. However, if you poke around you will be able to verify that Mobil 1 has been reformulated several times. The current Mobil 1 MSDS that I find don't show that the contain CAS 68037-01-4, but they also are much more vague, so it would be possible to argue that they're just getting more cagey about telling what's in their oil so there's less hue and cry when they reformulate.

PAO is a "Group IV" oil, what most folks refer to as a "pure synthetic oil". Mobil 1, by all accounts added Group III oils to their blend after losing a suit with another oil company over what could be called synthetic. Since the courts said that the blend could still be called synthetic oil I guess Mobil 1 decided it would be smart to save some money and go with a blend as well.

According to a couple of other sources, they changed again due to PAO shortages after the hurricane, but it's hard to get official & concrete information (such as from an MSDS) on the new formulation. If you're really interested, you could probably spend a week or so poking around and come up with something. If you do, post it here, I confess I wasn't motivated enough to do a really thorough research effort, maybe you can dig up some more information.

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
I just got the free sample of Weapon Shield from George Fennell at Steel Shield (got his email address from another forum). Sent the e-mail Monday, got a personal response Tuesday, received the sample Saturday. One ounce, in a needle applicator - very nice for a free sample to a nobody like me. I have a brand new Mark III Target 678 (only out with it once, 500 rounds to date); I completely broke it down, cleaned and lubed with Weapon Shield, and hope to go shooting at the range this coming weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

All I can tell so far is the stuff has no offensive odor, I got more crud out on my patches than Hoppe's #9 did, and my mags now drop free (which they didn't before).

graygun

Hunter
I've wodered about the Mobil One reformulations over the years;my "hunch" is it's not as good as it was many years ago.

I haven't used it on guns yet but probably.

recoilguy

Bearcat
I like Weapon Sheild. I use Weapon sheild. It gives me the results I want.

I don't use Mobil1, well I do in my motorcycles. Probably would work great on my guns, unless I am out of Weapon Sheild and the stores are closed and I have to lube my gun that very moment, I may never know personally. I will take the word of all the testimony on the sites that it works, I just don't think saving a nickle every cleaning is enough motivation for me to stop using what I like and what works great for me.

RCG

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Oil is oil, especially for guns.
There is just not enough friction for any good synthetic to really
fail.
I wouldn't use Mobil one to save a buck, but I would use
it because it's the best stuff I have tried, including Weapon shield.
I would use my free sample of WS, then re-use the handy dandy
little pen applicator filled with Mobile one.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
update: recieved my sample today!(less than a week from when I emailed him) very nice people, I haven't used the product yet, but if it works any where near as good as the companies customer service I bet it's pretty good :)

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
As I mentioned in this thread, I did go shooting with my Mark III 678 this weekend (with my wife - her first time shooting any firearm ever - and she loved it!). Worked great, it cleaned easily and thoroughly with Weapon Shield, and after lubricating lightly with the WS, it seems as if the bolt pulls back a tad easier.

I can't compare it to much (new gun, used ATF before for lube, no experience with others like Breakfree), but it seems like a good competent CLP

Latest posts