WC820 Favorite Loads for .44/.45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

101VooDoo

Single-Sixer
A few years ago I thought I was going to shoot Skeet, and loaded up on WC820 for .410; ended up as a Trap shooter instead, and am sitting on a stupid amount of WC820. Mine was bought in late 2006 and I think it was just about the last batch offered.

I was told to use AA#9 data rather than 110 when I purchased it, and all the lot numbers are the same - HP-PD-LC-102706. I'm in the process of getting a chronograph and will verify its burn rate and work up to any suggested loads.

I'd like to use it in some pistol calibers and was looking for your favorite WC820 (or AA#9) loads in: .44 Special, .44 Mag, or .45 Colt. All will be shot in Ruger .44 Vaqueros, Black Hawk .45, .44 Flattops (Anniversary and Lipsey).

Thanks - Jim

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Here is an interesting article on WC820.
Testing Surplus Powder WC820 (n)
http://www.castbullet.com/reload/wc820.htm

If it does act like AA#9 it would be good for the 44mag but maybe not so good for the 44special because of the reduced pressure in the 44special.

I shoot 15.0gr - 18.0gr of AA#9 with 240gr Rainier bullets, WLP primers in my 44magnum handguns. This should work good for lead bullets as well.

I shoot 20.0gr of AA#9 with 240gr XTP bullets in my rifles. (this is a little over the top)

MY OPINION: AA#9 is very dependable and stable when working up a load. It does not seem to spike at the top end. :D

Check your data here: http://www.accuratepowder.com/

...Jimbo

drew76

Bearcat
I use WC 820 in my 45 Blackhawk. Lee 255 gr RNFP over 18 - 20 grains (using AA9 data) LP primer gets your attention in a 4 5/8" barrel and is accurate. This load generates some pressure and I would only recommend it for a Blackhawk class 45. 820 needs good pressure to work well from my experience.

I am about to run some through my SBH and see how that goes but have heard good things about it in regards to the 44 mag.

FWIW- My Hornady manual shows 13.3 - 15.1 gr. AA9 for standard pressures 45 colt and 14.8 - 17.8 for Ruger and T/C only guns. This is with a 250 gr XTP bullet.

454PB

Bearcat
My lot of WC820 is about 15 years old, but has been confirmed via chronograph to be about the same burn rate as AAC#9.

Be cautious, WC820 has all the same pitfalls as H-110, WW296, and AAC#9 in that it requires sufficient primer brissance, load density, and neck tension for efficient combustion. Reduce any of those requirements and you risk squibs and/or hangfires. It's happened to me!

101VooDoo

Single-Sixer
454PB - I was thinking the same thing, even broke down and bought some Mag Primers.

I've got a ton of Fed LPs but understand they're not as hot as Win LP.

Jim

Dale53

Blackhawk
There are several lots of WC820. They vary considerably in their burning rates. I have one of the early lots and it is within .5 grs of H110 in the .44 Magnum.

I loaded up the same powder charges, same bullets, same case and same primers all tested on the same day (to minimize variables). Then I chronographed the loads. Of course, I started with #9 level loads and proceeded from there.

If I hadn't done this, and had a fast lot of this surplus powder and ASSUMED it was the slow lot, I could have been in serious trouble. Loading too light, can also present a problem as outlined above.

Just stop and think a bit, use the chronograph and compare to a known canister powder (#9, H110, or Win 296). Then, you'll be certain of the burning rate of your lot of powder.

Years ago, when this first hit the market, I managed a purchase of 450 lbs of this for our club. It was shipped in 150 lb bottles (each bottle in a crate). Our cost was about $3.50 per lb, as I remember. I say "shipped" but I actually picked it up in a truck.

Dale53