Was the 10/22 Mag recalled?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yamalink

Bearcat
Father wants a 10/22 Mag to go along with his safe full of Ruger rimfires.

No store has a used one. Most told me they sell for at least $700 even in not-so-great condition. Found one locally with a Hogue stock and it's at least a 98% gun. Hardly used. $650 cash. Thing is....

The old country gun shop owner tells me "they recalled the 10/22 mag, troublesome gun...."

Should I pass on the 10/22 mag and convince ol' dad to seek another varmint rifle?

I don't know about "recall" but they ceased production....give the factory a call??
as for the stock, if you need one, I still have a like new, factory, hardwood .22 mag stock and barrel left over from their early production...the stock has the longer ( larger) opening for the receiver and the barrel has the larger diameter bore.........

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
rugerguy":3teb6g9a said:
I don't know about "recall" but they ceased production . . .
^What he said.
AFAIK, there was not a recall on the 10/22mag. Ruger simply stopped building it because of low demand.
As for the selling price of one now, I guess it's just a case of "You don't miss it til it's gone."

chet15

Hawkeye
Bigfoot62":16c5hfml said:
rugerguy":16c5hfml said:
AFAIK, there was not a recall on the 10/22mag. Ruger simply stopped building it because of low demand.
As for the selling price of one now, I guess it's just a case of "You don't miss it til it's gone."

The 10/22 Mag. wasn't dropped because of low demand....in fact, it sold fairly well considering it was chambered for the more expensive .22 Mag.
Ruger had other issues that made them discontinue it, including ejection issues.
Chet15

hey I didn't say "low demand............, just ceased production..." :?:

( heard stories of cracked recievers, but didn't want to say that.........) :roll: ...............hearsay 8)

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
I think chet15 was quoting me. I did say "low demand" because that's what local dealers told me. They said that the 10/22mag didn't sell that well because most folks didn't want to pay $10-15/box for "plinking" ammo. Plus the magnum sold for more than twice the price of a standard 10/22.
That's JMHO, based on what I've been told by the people who sold them.

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
rugerguy":2lqa4okj said:
I know, he "Pushed" ( clicked the wrong buttons) gotta keep Chet15 on his "toes"....... :wink: :wink:
So, is there some kind of "Chet police"? :wink: :lol:

Seriously, I wish Ruger would offer the 10/22mag again. :(

Bigfoot62":2irec9il said:
I think chet15 was quoting me. I did say "low demand" because that's what local dealers told me. They said that the 10/22mag didn't sell that well because most folks didn't want to pay $10-15/box for "plinking" ammo. Plus the magnum sold for more than twice the price of a standard 10/22.
That's JMHO, based on what I've been told by the people who sold them.

Ammo was not $10/box when the 10/22M was available. The ammo was $4/box, but LR's were 89 cents a box. Ammo cost was not an issue. At the same time, 10/22's were a hundred bucks, while the 10/22M's were $299. So, we bought them in spite of the price, because some of us really like .22 Magnums, and a 10/22 platform, shooting magnums was a dream come true. Problem was, and I experienced this, first hand...I have never owned a gun that was so absolutely prone to jamming. I cleaned, and I inspected, and I never could find or correct the problem. So, my gun store took the gun back, and gave me a refund, ultimately returning the gun to Ruger. I figured I'd just buy another one. Wrong! There never was another one. Seems the problems I encountered were common to way-too-many 10/22M's, and Ruger went back to the drawing board. The reported fix, was modifying the bolt to a two-extractor design. If that was a good fix, I don't know, as I never again saw a new one for sale. Now, years later, folks lament the two extractor design, as the argument exists now, if one of the extractors breaks, it causes irreparaple damage to the action. Don't know the details, but I've read that same scenario, many times.

Now's time for me to also mention, even though my gun would never operate satisfactorily, it WAS extremely accurate.

Lotsa water under the bridge, so don't know if the 10/22M is destined for ressurection. I would guess not, but I wish we could see it, again.

WAYNO.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
They won't bring it back. That steel receiver is expensive. The long chamber + dirty ammo means that you have to have a very sharp extractor or two in prime condition - Again more expensive. Ammo is expensive now. etc. etc.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I walked into a shop where they had just grifted one off a poor unknowing customer, I mean, literally minutes after they had gotten it. I didn't even have to get close to see what it was. It was beat up pretty bad, but I'm always in search of more projects, so I inquired about it, and the salesman said it was already sold... no doubt to him, I'm sure he was grinning from ear to ear after practically stealing this 10/22M.

tulsamal

Blackhawk
I heard the used ones dried about because people were buying them to convert to .17 HMR. Simple barrel swap.

Gregg

MK111

Bearcat
My nephew bought one right after they came out. It kept breaking ejecters. And after 2 returns to the Ruger factory for repairs and the last return of several months he got rid of a real lemon. I guess he should have kept it and sold it now.
He bought a nice H&K 300 in .22 Mag and it has never broken or jammed. The accuracy is less than 1/2" at 50 yrds.

Correction-the last trip to Ruger for repairs the turn around was 15 months.

Latest posts