Warning !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevemb

Hunter
A serious uptick in deer movement noted here in NE Ohio. The rut is starting. Be careful when driving ANYTIME now. Not just first/last light.

vito

Hunter
I would guess its not just in Ohio. Here in northern Illinois I was out for a motorcycle ride on Monday in an area where I have never seen deer. A large doe ran across the road about 20 feet in front of me, while I was traveling about 55 mph. No way I could stopped on time.

coach

Hunter
While driving down a major suburban road my daughter saw a deer run into the opposite lane and get hit by a car. It then flew into her lane where she luckily had room to swerve and she only ran over and snapped it's legs. She lucked out this time. They're going a bit nuts in Maryland too.
I try to avoid driving at dusk if possible.

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
It's been a late rut this year. Still little deer movement. Few dead deer on the roads yet and little buck sign in the woods. Probably another week or two off before we hit it heavy.

I have had the misfortune to have lost TWO cars to deer strikes. Both of them happened around this time of year. Both of the cars were also painted red. I have always wondered if the deer see red in a different way then we humans do? Here is a little article about Maryland, and other States, deer accident problems.
http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/deer-car-collisions-state-hit-deer-driving/story?id=11826266

Dan in MI

Staff member
Darn, and I have the next ten days off. Whatever will I do?

If only my trusty recurve wans't hanging on ap peg waiting for me at the farm. :shock:

WAHOOO!!!! Time to fling some broadheads!

stevemb

Hunter
The insurance company calls my wife the deerslayer. She is somewhere near an even dozen now, this while driving. Twice, the deer hit her, she wasn't even rolling. One sailed over a guard rail and landed on her roof. Got its feet under it and walked down to the hood and off. Hoof prints in rood and hood.

stevemb

Hunter
I'll be driving in Penn this weekend. Taking an anti-grouse gun and the new 480 SBH to play with.

hogan

Single-Sixer
Here in Wisconsin we are in a transition from prerut to full rut.
Deer are just turning stupid and should be almost suicidal in another week.
That is when you make sure your comprehensive is paid up.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
ChiefMuzz said:
It's been a late rut this year. Still little deer movement. Few dead deer on the roads yet and little buck sign in the woods. Probably another week or two off before we hit it heavy.

Just before the full moon it will begin at least that is what I usually use as an indicator. YMMV. ps