Wanting a Ruger No.1 chambered in 50-140 sharps.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DRM

Bearcat
Wanting ro find a No.1 chambered in 50-140 sharps...or a gunsmith that would make one. Don't know where to start looking....I know chances of finding one for sale will be slim. Thanks

DRM

Bearcat
Yes, it would.....It would complement my BFR Revolver in 50-90 SHARPS...
20211118_102607.jpg

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
Many years ago I had a place called Siegrist(?) Machine rebarrel and convert a Ruger No. 1 to 50-140. They had to remove some metal in order to have the round be able to feed. Not near as much as they do for the 577 NE conversion, so I had no worries about loss of strength in the action. I had a fairly heavy 30" barrel with a mercury recoil reducer in the stock, both for balance and to add a little more weight. I could easily surpass 500 NE ballistics and match 510 Wells ballistics. It was a thumper. A couple things you need to watch out for. First, a 50-140 Sharps uses a .512 diameter bullet, while most "modern" 50's use a .510 diameter. So unless you are going to use only cast bullets, you might want to specify the proper diameter when getting a barrel. This also caused my second issue...I bought a set of RCBS dies and it resized the case, I was using 50-140 Bell Basic brass, to accept a .512 diameter bullet. The .510 just sort of slipped into the case and if held bullet down and jiggled a bit, would cause the bullet to move forward and in one occurance leave the case. At the time I built this, 500 NE brass was about twice as expensive and very difficult to obtain. The 50-140 had a much thicker rim which to me is a plus in reloading. Anyway, it went the way of many of my project guns, found something else I could not live without and selling this was an easy way to pay for a new toy. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and we can talk some more. It was a fun gun.

DRM

Bearcat
Many years ago I had a place called Siegrist(?) Machine rebarrel and convert a Ruger No. 1 to 50-140. They had to remove some metal in order to have the round be able to feed. Not near as much as they do for the 577 NE conversion, so I had no worries about loss of strength in the action. I had a fairly heavy 30" barrel with a mercury recoil reducer in the stock, both for balance and to add a little more weight. I could easily surpass 500 NE ballistics and match 510 Wells ballistics. It was a thumper. A couple things you need to watch out for. First, a 50-140 Sharps uses a .512 diameter bullet, while most "modern" 50's use a .510 diameter. So unless you are going to use only cast bullets, you might want to specify the proper diameter when getting a barrel. This also caused my second issue...I bought a set of RCBS dies and it resized the case, I was using 50-140 Bell Basic brass, to accept a .512 diameter bullet. The .510 just sort of slipped into the case and if held bullet down and jiggled a bit, would cause the bullet to move forward and in one occurance leave the case. At the time I built this, 500 NE brass was about twice as expensive and very difficult to obtain. The 50-140 had a much thicker rim which to me is a plus in reloading. Anyway, it went the way of many of my project guns, found something else I could not live without and selling this was an easy way to pay for a new toy. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and we can talk some more. It was a fun gun.
Reply thanks for the information