want to swap my blackhawk hammer to a super blackhawk hammer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

shaner

Bearcat
ive search thru here and iam looking for a step by step help beside the confusing ruger owners manual, pics sure would help ive never tripped a bh down that far to swap hammers, i got the new hammer from brownells and its starin at me to swap it outhahaha any help is welcome , any one here in ohio close to mansfield i could talk with alsao??????

boomslang

Bearcat
Your super blackhawk hammer may drop in with no problems and it may need fitting. I did this and I started getting light strikes. I believe careful fitting would have solved the problem, but decided to get rid of the gun (30 carbine) and put the stock hammer back in.

Pawl spring? Do you mean the gate detent spring? The manual goes a GOOD job of showing how to get this gun apart and back together. Go to the real guns web site, get some books, on the other ruger forum Iowegan has aIBOK on the single action.
Everybody has a thing with the trigger the first time or so. Now I can take it apart or put it together faster than I can type this. Two finger is my speed. Go slow and let us know how its going. A lot of guys here to help. I can't tell you how much this forum has helped me.
Eric

boomslang

Bearcat
That can be tough to get out. Squirt WD-40 in it and let it sit a while.

The gate detent spring is held in by the small trigger pin. So you have to push down the gate detent spring while holding the cylinder frame with your 3rd hand :lol: tapping out the pin. Actually a small padded vice works wonders here. Also, I think if you search around some people use a small c-clamp (taped up to prevent marring) to push down on the spring while the trigger pin is tapped out with a wooden dowel or a brass punch.

Does that make sense?

tek4260

Buckeye
The gate has to be closed and the tip of the spring where it cams on the gate has to be in the correct position to allow you to compress it enough to clear the groove in the trigger pin. Also press the pin out from the right as viewed from top rear (press it so it slides out on the gate side). If you go the other way, the notch will hang on the latch and the trigger. I use my thumb to press the spring down and slide the pin with my index finger on the same hand. once it moves, I have a k-bob skewer I use to move it out enough to grab and pull out.

shaner

Bearcat
we got'er boys took it out and had 2 light hits out of 50, i suppose ill have to shave alittle off the top nothch?
salestuff022.jpg

sbhhammer.jpg

boomslang

Bearcat
Hard to say where to start fitting. It could be on the top part of the hammer. That part should contact (impact?) the frame above the transfer bar. I have heard it said that the transfer bar should not be battered and pinched.

It could be the sides of the hammer too. Look for rubbing on the sides of the hammer where it goes into the frame.

shaner

Bearcat
no rubbing i filed the top of the hammer some and it seem to have fixed it, took maybe a few 1000;s off it , i can see the diff in the firein pin stickin out when u hold the trigger and lower the hammer slowly looking between the cylinder and frame , took it out and ran 25 more no light hits , makin a nice deep dimple now

ranger730

Bearcat
changed frame grip and hammer to super on this 357 blackhawk everything dropped right in have put about 200 round down it and not a single miss fire and thats the origanal grip frame with it

Picture732.jpg

Picture730.jpg

A

Anonymous

I am wanting to buy 2 super blackhawk SS hammers for my new vaqueros. Do any of you know where I can get some? Midway has them back ordered. Thanks, Texas Toby

c.r.

Single-Sixer
TexasToby":3aem7zn3 said:
I am wanting to buy 2 super blackhawk SS hammers for my new vaqueros. Do any of you know where I can get some? Midway has them back ordered. Thanks, Texas Toby

might give Ruger a call or try brownells.com

heck maybe a "want to buy" in the classified section here might be worth a try.

good luck

c.r.

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
boomslang":j6n6o5ma said:
That can be tough to get out. Squirt WD-40 in it and let it sit a while.

The gate detent spring is held in by the small trigger pin. So you have to push down the gate detent spring while holding the cylinder frame with your 3rd hand :lol: tapping out the pin. Actually a small padded vice works wonders here. Also, I think if you search around some people use a small c-clamp (taped up to prevent marring) to push down on the spring while the trigger pin is tapped out with a wooden dowel or a brass punch.

Does that make sense?

Sure does,... 1" C-clamp & a tiny wooden dowel.
Picture948.jpg

Picture947.jpg

Picture949.jpg

jforwel

Bearcat
Thanks for the pics Ruffbird. And all this time I have been using my third hand, what a pain that was. :D