Want to buy my first revolver any suggestions??????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jbender

Bearcat
About 2 weeks ago i bought my first handgun a ruger p95 9mm, ive put 200 rounds through it and love it. I want to carry it for sd, and shoot it at the range i built on my farm. Any suggestions?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Without knowing experience and intended use, it's hard to suggest one. Guessing as the P95 was handgun #1, there's not a lot of experience, regardless, a .22lr Single Six is a perfect trainer, a great inexpensive plinker and quite capable of small game disposal. Also a great companion to the larger framed single actions to progress up to.

jbender

Bearcat
My uncle has a single six .22 revolver and I've shot it many times fun gun to shoot I've also shot my dads gp100 many times. I guess what I want is a gun that's smaller than my p95 for self defense and still inexpensive enough to shoot at the range

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, your request for something smaller didn't say if you meant caliber, or size of gun. But you did say inexpensive.
Well, as mentioned,, the Single-Six in 22/22 mag, is one choice, however, a SP-101 is both smaller in size, you can get it in 357 mag, & use 38 spls in it for cheaper range time! Then magnums for SD.

Ski

Bearcat
I too would suggest looking at an SP .. perhaps the short barrel version for SD carry (although the 3" version would also work for that). Since the SP is an all steel gun, it is not light. If you really want a light wheel gun, you might look at the LCR or one of the Smith & Wesson "unobtanium" ones (more money though). I'd suggest finding a shooting range near you that rents handguns. Try out a few different models. Just remember that range guns aren't always maintained/cleaned properly of often although this is usually more of a problem with auto's rather than revolvers.

If you want to carry for self defense(especially concealed) and stick to a Ruger I would suggest a SP101. If you want other makers then S&W 3" J frames and K frames are very nice.

My carry firearm for years was a S&W model 36, now it is my SP101 in .357.

Buy one of each of the above and keep the ones you like the best. But you really threw out a vague question with way too many viable answers. Narrow down the reason & purpose and you will get a much better answer. I'd suggest the GP100 / Security Six varities or the SP101 if you intend to carry it alot of the time for General Purpose use..

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The SP-101 in any configuration is a great self defense gun or perhaps an LCR might suit your fancy. :D :D

000_0001-2.jpg

...Jimbo

greener

Single-Sixer
If it weren't for the SD portions I'd agree with the other posters that a Single Six is a great second gun, especially for target plinking. Add SD and I'd go with a GP100.

leejack

Single-Sixer
My vote goes for a single six convertable (any barrel length) and a Blackhawk in 357 any barrel length. These are my must have guns.

lee

Rodfac

Blackhawk
yep...get the single six...convertible or not. It'll teach you the basics of sight picture, trigger control and a consistent grip. I' ve got the convertible but with one or two exceptions, have never used the mag cylinder. The .22LR did all that was possible with a .22...even dispatching one deer that had been hit by a car.

Get it in a 4 3/4" barrel length as well. The short tube will allow you to carry it in your back jeans pocket or a short Tom Threepersons holster worn on the belt without pushing your waist belt up into your ribs while sitting in a car, deer stand or on the ground. Stainless steel makes sense...tho I hate the look...if you want to carry it much in wet weather...and on a canoe trip or backpacking it'll hold its finish when the blued gun is scarred up. My only grips about the one below is that the barrel is the 5 1/2" and that dam...nable hook front sight (catches on leather and collects pocket lint from my jeans). The target is 5 shots of KMart Remington bulk .22 HP's from 25 yds, sitting with a back rest.

They're accurate...mine will shoot less than 2" gps at 25 yds on demand with any ammunition I've ever tried...bar none.

Regards, Rodfac
Single-Six.jpg

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
My vote would be either a Single Six or an anniversary 357 Blackhawk. It really depends on what you're objectives, budget and tastes are.

Spike

Single-Sixer
jbender":2v1ic0y1 said:
About 2 weeks ago i bought my first handgun a ruger p95 9mm, ive put 200 rounds through it and love it. I want to carry it for sd, and shoot it at the range i built on my farm. Any suggestions?

Not real clear on what you're asking here, J....
You love the P95. Okay. Get that...
You want to carry It for SD...
The P95? Or the wheelgun you want to add to the stable?

When I got my first gun, it was a bottom feeder like yours.
After that, I know I went on the hunt for a rimfire.
Inexpensive. Accurate. Fun.

May I suggest a .22?
Might also be nice to have something a little milder around to blast rats and snakes. No good scaring the animals and blowing holes in your barn with a 9mm!

(For that matter, might think about getting a 12G to lean in a corner...)

-S

Latest posts