Want to Build a .32-20 revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gundog5

Single-Sixer
I would like to build a .32-20 on a Ruger frame. I have read about people using a Single Six and having the barrel rebored and the cylinder bored to .32-20. Anyone has an opinion of doing this and does it make sense?

all the ones we had or even seen and we have sold a few of these, the work done Andy Horvath over here in Ohio at Diagonal Gun Shop and they were on the Blackhawk frames just using a NEW cylinder he made, so could shoot both 30 carbine as well as the 32-20..........
GilCS4mm.jpg

pYQoB86m.jpg

just sold another one last week to a Member here on the forum, it was done on an earlier version from 1968........;)

contender

Ruger Guru
The easiest conversion would be to start with a .30 Carbine Blackhawk, like shown above.
If you desire a smaller frame,, such as the Single-Six frame size,, then break out the checkbook & commission a custom gunsmith to begin their magic. It won't be cheap!

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I believe Hondo has rechambered 32mag single sixes into both 327 and 32-20. Both require a little attention paid to overall length of loaded cartridge.
Hope he will chime in, but I believe he implied it was not that difficult.
To start with a 30 carbine the result would be a 30-20. But in fact, no work needs to be done as a new model 30 carb blackhawk can safely fire 32-20 as is.
Many shoot them that way.
The hard to find Buckeye 32mag/ 32-20 also come ready to go if a full sized gun will work for you.
Lastly, largely overlooked Uberti has made some dandy 32-20s , but they are also hard to find.

Last edited:
It would be pretty costly to use a single six with the length of the 32-20. I have an old model custom 32-20/327 that was built in on old model 357 frame and works great. Probably the most accurate Ruger I own.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Andy Horvath did mine several years ago. He did it on my OM Blackhawk .30Carbine BUT, Hondo44 recently suggested that it would be better to do it on a .357 frame.... I wish I had thought; but I really love the looks of mine. p.s. you can use a Ruger barrel even though it's .308"; I chose to have a new (octagon) barrel for mine. In total: it's HEAVY.

J.

DHBillings

Bearcat
Alan Harton, Single Action Services in Houston Texas, built one for me out of a 357, 3 screw back in the 1990s. Great gun. His prices are very reasonable. He has turned a Bearcat into a 5 shot 32 H&R.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yeah the 32-20 makes a very heavy gun in anything but a .32 SSM (single six magnum). Especially with an unfluted cyl. The New Vaquero and new or old model Flattop Blackhawks with their mid size frame are the next best option and with a fluted cyl.