Want a Shoulder Holster to help bad Back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4 lb kate

Bearcat
Joined
Apr 26, 2018
Messages
19
I am looking for a shoulder holster to carrie a Colt Rail Gun. Back is hurting so doc said to take weight off my belt line so will leave the STI 6" 10mm off my belt once I find a good shoulder holster. I'm looking at seven different ones. If you have used one of the ones I am looking at could you give some feed back. I know a lot don't like but used the old vertical spring clip Safariland and Bianchi in my younger days.

1. Aker Comfort-Flex Shoulder Rig and Holster
2. Craft
3. DeSantis "New York Undercover"
4. Galco "Jackass Shoulder Holster"
5. Kramer Handgun Leather Horizontal
6. Monarch Shoulder Rig and Holster
7. Red Nichol's Holsters G1963 "Charade"
 

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Messages
6,397
I'll suggest another you might like, although I've never tried it out. I do have 2 of their belt holsters tho, and they are top quality.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/simple-shoulder-rig-ssr

SSR_2017-2_grande.jpg
 

Rook

Blackhawk
Joined
Sep 13, 2015
Messages
712
I would buy the cheapest one because it won't matter which one you buy you'll most likely have it in a box with all those other holsters you've bought over the years that looked like a good idea at the time. That's where my shoulder holsters are, all three of them. :)
 

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Messages
6,397
Heliman said:
^^^^^^^^I agree with the Diamond D choice! The best shoulder and chest rig I have ever owned....

They're on sale right now for $210. :) They are pricier than other brands and since they are custom made to your gun it takes about 2 months or more for delivery. That can be off-putting for many people who are used to off-the-shelf stuff that shows up in a couple days.
 
Joined
Oct 26, 2006
Messages
9,324
Try out Ken Null Holsters- “the finest holsters never seen.
http://www.klnullholsters.com/default.htm
I have several, made of horse hide. Last forever!
gramps
 

kmoore

Buckeye
Joined
Mar 29, 2017
Messages
1,037
I got a jackass for the Glock 17/22 models. It works fine, it has not seen much use. At work it was used when I had court while in a nonuniform job, training/teaching or days when not working outside the office. A few times big game hunting. It still looks new and holds the gun and ammo as it did on day one around 1998. Prior I used a nylon style for several days and cut it up and tossed it away, it was not good enough to be used for work or even a citizen CCW in my mind.
 

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Joined
Dec 19, 2001
Messages
9,444
GunnyGene said:
Heliman said:
^^^^^^^^I agree with the Diamond D choice! The best shoulder and chest rig I have ever owned....

They're on sale right now for $210. :) They are pricier than other brands and since they are custom made to your gun it takes about 2 months or more for delivery. That can be off-putting for many people who are used to off-the-shelf stuff that shows up in a couple days.

+1
 

toysoldier

Hunter
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
3,261
I'm not following the logic of switching from belt to shoulder carry to reduce back strain. A belt holster is carried on the hips; a shoulder holster puts weight on the spine. That's why modern backpacks have a well-padded belt to put weight on the hips and take it off the spine.
 

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Messages
6,397
powder smoke said:
Thanks gunny nice looking rig! ps

Don't know if you checked the details at the web site, but the price includes 2 mag pouches - fitted for the mags you intend to carry. The little stuff like that is why I like Diamond D gear.
 

hittman

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
9,009
toysoldier said:
I'm not following the logic of switching from belt to shoulder carry to reduce back strain. A belt holster is carried on the hips; a shoulder holster puts weight on the spine. That's why modern backpacks have a well-padded belt to put weight on the hips and take it off the spine.

I agree with this. ^^

Ankle holster may work for you but ..... everybody's situation is different.
 

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
5,225
hittman said:
toysoldier said:
I'm not following the logic of switching from belt to shoulder carry to reduce back strain. A belt holster is carried on the hips; a shoulder holster puts weight on the spine. That's why modern backpacks have a well-padded belt to put weight on the hips and take it off the spine.

I agree with this. ^^

Ankle holster may work for you but ..... everybody's situation is different.

Could be the tightness of the belt needed to support a handgun that size is putting pressure on the lower back. When I was young and skinny I had to cinch my belt tight to keep everything from sliding south. Now that I’m older and rounder not so much.
 

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
1,073
I have metal cages in my back and wearing weight on my hips does make my back sore after awhile.
Sometimes just wearing a belt is uncomfortable.
 

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
681
4 lb kate said:
I am looking for a shoulder holster to carrie a Colt Rail Gun. Back is hurting so doc said to take weight off my belt line so will leave the STI 6" 10mm off my belt once I find a good shoulder holster. I'm looking at seven different ones. If you have used one of the ones I am looking at could you give some feed back. I know a lot don't like but used the old vertical spring clip Safariland and Bianchi in my younger days.

1. Aker Comfort-Flex Shoulder Rig and Holster
2. Craft
3. DeSantis "New York Undercover"
4. Galco "Jackass Shoulder Holster"
5. Kramer Handgun Leather Horizontal
6. Monarch Shoulder Rig and Holster
7. Red Nichol's Holsters G1963 "Charade"



I still use the Bianchi for a 6 inch N frame and have another Bianchi for a 1911. I have a badly designed Kirkpatrick Doc Holiday for a Vaquero. Recommend you stay with the Bianchi if you can find one.
 

Hawk-in-Wi

Buckeye
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
1,009
maybe try using a good pair of suspenders ,
take a look at these and see if any thing looks like it might work

https://www.duluthtrading.com/search/?q=suspender&cTypeAhead=suspewnder
 

4 lb kate

Bearcat
Joined
Apr 26, 2018
Messages
19
My spine is bad right where the belt is. It causes the area to become inflamed caring a 1911 so doc said try shoulder. holster. I carried a Colt Officers .45ACP in an ankle holster for several years at work as management said no guns. No one ever knew as bell bottoms was in at that time. Legs are to small now to make it work and also my jean legs are to skinny now.
 

bogus bill

Hunter
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
3,969
I started wearing Perry Suspenders about twenty five years ago when I was a armed guard. I had a GF who managed a Big & Tall store, I am both. She kept me well outfitted. I had color coded ones to match my uniform shirts. It kept my pants, and gun belt in place and up. I still have plenty of them and wear them. However you probably are talking about concealed carry? I pocket carry either a sig 238 or a smith model 40 and they arent much trouble with or without pocket holsters. Larger concealed handguns are. Years ago I was issued a uniform MC jacket that had a sewed in left side breast pocket for a snub or small auto. Also had a vest with the same but neither is for hot weather. It boils down to either open carry with or without a cover shirt or coat or get used to just packing a small pocket pistol. In either case the Perry suspenders are a big help for me. Much depends on your build. I also have a 3" s&w model 36 that I sometimes belt carry under a untucked shirt. I do a lot of trail riding (when I aint laid up) and do open carry larger handguns but it`s no big deal here in utah. Many years ago I wore suspenders with the usual metal clips but they tore up my truck seat, recliner seat etc. The Perrys have the plastic clips that is easier on the furniture. I also have some of those side clip perrys. I cant get used to them.
In the picture I am no doubt packing a large revolver under the shirt.
https://i.postimg.cc/WNkNGGgX/RAZOR-RIDES-2014-from-tablet-1045.jpg
 
Joined
Mar 24, 2002
Messages
5,349
For years, I used shoulder holsters, almost exclusively. I own a shoulder holster for a big assortment of handguns.

1911's, large frame revolvers, little bitty guns, and everything in between. The right shoulder holster carries and conceals any gun better than any other holster. And an additional benefit, a shoulder holster is a very effective set of suspenders.

Lots of shoulder holsters to choose from, but I've found many are a waste. The Uncle mikes and similar products are often the first shoulder holster a feller buys. They are crap, and soon the buyer figures he hates shoulder holsters.

Through lots of trials, I have settled nearly exclusively on the Tri-Vertible by Pistol Packaging. It's so basic that at first glance it looks cheap. It's (relatively) inexpensive, easy to put on, easy to adjust, and carries a handgun well. It carries even a long barreled handgun high enough that it's easy to conceal under nearly any jacket or untucked shirt.

And in a shoulder holster, I carry vertically. Worn correctly, I often catch myself checking to see if my gun is still in place, as it's so comfortable I don't feel the gun at all. The Tri-Vertible can also be worn horizontally, but it's never my choice to do so.

WAYNO.



https://www.pistolpackaging.com/Tri_Vertible_Holster_p/tva.htm

 

Latest posts

Top