walking vs decocker

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fez

Bearcat
I walk the hammer down on my kp95d as opposed to using the decocker.I have done this with all hammer fired guns I have owned.Am I causing any unseen wear on this particular pistol by doing this? If not is it better than using the decocker as far as stress on the components? Any advice and opinions greatly appreciated.

aaronrb204

Bearcat
You are doing nothing more than inviting an accidental discharge. The decocker is designed to move the firing pin in while dropping the hammer. Thus the hammer drops on essentially nothing.

I have a CZ75 compact which has a frame mounted safety for condition 1 carry. The manual states that it can be carried with the hammer at the half cock notch and to do this one much thumb down the hammer to that point. It includes instructions on how to safely do so.

96/44

Blackhawk
It does seem unnatural at first to use the decocker, snapping the hammer down with a chambered round and all. But the hammer doesn't have a very big spur to thumb it down like revolver, I agree it is an accidental discharge waiting to happen. As far as mechanical wear, I'm sure it's not hurting anything, basically it is the same as firing the gun.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
It depends on the design of the pistol. Using the decocker is always the safest bet as that's what it's made for.

Sig specifically says to always use the decocker on their guns as it lowers the hammer safely to a position not fully down against the frame and firing pin. Lowering the hammer by thumb after pulling the trigger allows the hammer to rest against the firing pin and isn't as safe for these particular guns. Others don't care.

Walk the hammer down using the decocker, it will make you and me feel a lot better. That's how I do it. Every once and a while I'll just use the decock and let the hammer fall hard just to make sure it still works right, but I'm triply sure the barrel is pointed in a safe direction then.

Never had it happen on my KP95, then I don't do it because of the decock lever... but twice on a 1911 I've had the hammer slip past my finger... luckily both times it was on an empty chamber.

The decock lever can be your friend.

fez

Bearcat
Thanks.Everyone.I will try to break that habit but I have seen decockers fail.On a cz52 I had.Gun was pointed in safe direction as always.

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
fez,

All mechanical devices will eventually fail. That's why, even when I decock, engage the safety, on my P90, it is always pointed in a safe direction.

DM

fez

Bearcat
My feelings exactly.If you follow ALL the saftey rules one backs up the other.

aaronrb204

Bearcat
fez":16xdf7kg said:
Thanks.Everyone.I will try to break that habit but I have seen decockers fail.On a cz52 I had.Gun was pointed in safe direction as always.

But that is a known issue with that pistol. There was a similar issue with the P85 but it was fixed with a recall and the MKII version.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
I was curious as to the rate of failure on the decocker myself. It does feel a little disconcerting to pop down the decocker and feel/see the hammer drop down..

I, of course, have only used the decocker when pointing the gun in a safe direction, but would also like others experiences...

keith81

Bearcat
Seeing as you should always have the gun pointed in a safe direction using either method, I think i would rather have my thumb on the decock lever rather than behind the slide in case of a discharge.

P90

Single-Sixer
keith81":2dvs93fq said:
Seeing as you should always have the gun pointed in a safe direction using either method, I think i would rather have my thumb on the decock lever rather than behind the slide in case of a discharge.
Me too! :D

LTB45

Bearcat
I have had an AD with a Colt (No Decocker) while lowering the hammer, it was a very scary experience!!!
If the gun has a decocker I recommend that you use it always! I DO!!!
Yes it may fail and if it does then the AD is not your fault. The gun can be repaired to work as designed.
Lowering the hammer on a live round is dangerous and a bad accident waiting to happen. That is why so many auto's now have a decocker on them.
BE SAFE USE IT!!
IMHO

Kanook

Buckeye
Had a friend dislocate his thumb and shot his wifes dressing mirror because of lowering his hammer with his thumb. Just goes to show even an armorer can do things wrong.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Ride the hammer down using the decocker to lower it.
It was an article of faith that Walther PP guns' decocker block was so hollowed out that it would crack if slammed often enough, so the advice was to use the decock feature but control the hammer as it was released.
I do that with all DA autopistols.
BTW, danger of the hammer slipping is the main reason 'cocked and locked' is considered safer on a 1911 than carrying with the hammer down on a live round.
Moon

22/45 Fan

Hunter
halfmoonclip":1beetc6v said:
Ride the hammer down using the decocker to lower it.
It was an article of faith that Walther PP guns' decocker block was so hollowed out that it would crack if slammed often enough, so the advice was to use the decock feature but control the hammer as it was released.
I do that with all DA autopistols.
I remember reading about the fragility of the PP's hammer block so I extrapolated that technique to almost every decocker gun I've ever owned.

The exception is SIGs. Their decocker just "frees" the hammer when you depress it and then lowers it as you let up on the lever. If you release the decocker lever slowly, the hammer is let down gently.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
sicboy13":3gyem11q said:
is this a 2-handed procedure to walk down the hammer while simultanously flicking the decocker?
That about covers it. Capture the hammer with your left thumb while depressing the decocker with your right.
Moon