Walked out of Wal-Mart with a smile!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I really don't like going to Wally's and generally try to limit my trips to once a month, with no more than three things on the list: cat food, kitty litter and motor oil. This evening the cats thought it would be a good idea to be fed again sometime soon, so off I went. It was getting close to 10 pm when I got there.

Out of habit, I always walk by the ammo case to see what they have, and I did that this evening. Something seemed odd. I looked again. Omigosh! There was .22 LR ammo on the top shelf! Win 333s and Remington Golden Bullet 525s. A whole bunch of both flavors. Wow--first time I've seen anything on that shelf for at least a year and a half.

I had to ask someone to get a sporting goods clerk with keys, and it took her a while to get there. She took one look at me, and asked, "22s?" Of course I said "Yes, please" and she unlocked the case. "Remingtons?" "Yes, please." "Three boxes?" (Their limit) "Yes, please" once again. She took them to the counter, and said "You're really lucky." I agreed, adding that these were the first I'd seen in 18 months or better, and she went on to say that when they do get them, they usually put them out at midnight. I've been told it's a law--might be just store policy--but no ammo's sold between 10pm and 7am, and she told me these must have just gone out. One of the stockers probably didn't anticipate someone coming in just minutes before they called "time." She went on to tell how people come in at midnight, and if some .22s go on the shelf, they'll wait in the store until 7am, and often get in tussles about who's first in line!

Then she triple bagged the shells "So you can get across the parking lot without someone seeing what you got and mugging you for them!" That little girl made my day, AND, to ice the cake, they were only $21.97/box, before tax! I think I probably just used up all the clean living I've tried to do all year... Now I wonder how long it will take to find one of the .22s under all the dust they've been collecting the last couple of years! ;)

Rick C

Rumrunner

Hunter
Good find. And it sounds like that little girl knew a little about whats going on. Love the comment about getting mugged in the parking lot if someone sees what you have.

Back in 72 or 73 when I was in college I had a 92 Winchester in 44-40. I stopped in a K-Mart looking for some ammo one day and as I was trying to see what they had on the shelf behind the counter a girl asked if I needed help. I said I doubt it, I'm looking for 44-40. She said oh yes, I have one box of it. I was sure she would grab some 44 spl or mags since 44-40 wasn't very popular. She bent over and pulled a box of 44-40 from the back. Come to find out she knew her stuff. She said they always try to keep one two boxes on hand, but she sold one a few days before so she would order more.

graygun

Hunter
Was that price for the 333s or 525s? What brand of cat food did you buy?

I can imagine what the band of geeks look like that do the 0000-0700 wait shift.

6gun

Hunter
I wouldn't care if it were the first 22LR I'd seen in the last 10 years I wouldn't buy anything from the Confederate hating enemy, did you check the bakery to see if they had any ISIS flag cakes?

Paul B

Buckeye
About ten years ago, we had a Super K-Mart that wad doing OK. Walmart built a superstore right across the street and within 6 months the K-Mart was having a close the doors liquidation sale. Wife went nosing around what she was interested in and I heading for the sporting goods. Found 27 boxes of 170 gr. 30-30 for $4.00 a box, 10 boxes of .308 Win 180 gr. RN's for $5.00 a box and only 6 boxes of 180 gr. RN's for $6.00 a box, Had one hell of a heavy shopping cart to push out to the truck as I bought every darn one of those boxes. Still have most of the 30-30 as I don't shoot that much and not much use for RN bullets so they got shot up for the brass.
Another great deal. My wife worked for J.C. Penney years back and when they decided to go for the yuppie trade, most of the "department" store stuff went on sale. My wife's 10 percent discount on to of the sale price was too good to pass up. Came home with a Remington M700 BDL 30-06 for $110.00, a Marlin 336 30-30 for $95.00 and a Winchester M94 for $85.00 out the door. Still have the M700 and M94. Let a friend have the Marlin for what I had in it.
Sometime I actually get lucky. :mrgreen:
Paul B.

6gun

Hunter
Paul B said:
About ten years ago, we had a Super K-Mart that wad doing OK. Walmart built a superstore right across the street and within 6 months the K-Mart was having a close the doors liquidation sale. Wife went nosing around what she was interested in and I heading for the sporting goods. Found 27 boxes of 170 gr. 30-30 for $4.00 a box, 10 boxes of .308 Win 180 gr. RN's for $5.00 a box and only 6 boxes of 180 gr. RN's for $6.00 a box, Had one hell of a heavy shopping cart to push out to the truck as I bought every darn one of those boxes. Still have most of the 30-30 as I don't shoot that much and not much use for RN bullets so they got shot up for the brass.
Another great deal. My wife worked for J.C. Penney years back and when they decided to go for the yuppie trade, most of the "department" store stuff went on sale. My wife's 10 percent discount on to of the sale price was too good to pass up. Came home with a Remington M700 BDL 30-06 for $110.00, a Marlin 336 30-30 for $95.00 and a Winchester M94 for $85.00 out the door. Still have the M700 and M94. Let a friend have the Marlin for what I had in it.
Sometime I actually get lucky. :mrgreen:
Paul B.

I remember about 25 years ago you could buy 30-30 all day long at any store in town for $4 or less, amazing how the prices have shot up over the years.

Paid $69.00 for my first Winchester M94 in the 1970's bought it at a JC Penny store, back then Penny's had a great sporting goods department, sold tools, and had a automotive department, I remember my brother buying wheels and tires for his Mack I Mustang from JC Penny, large tires in the back, small on the front.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
I asked my local Walmart sporting manager and she stated the ammo comes in late in the day Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and is put on shelves the next morning at 7AM. Following that pattern I got what I needed and also for many of my friends. While picking up the ammo I found the young computer savvy folks found a link that listed exactly what ammo was delivered with each shipment.

pete44ru

Hunter

It's a great feeling - Back in the 80's, when a local F.W.Woolworth/Woolco department store was in the process of closing their riflearms/sporting goods dept, by speaking to the dept. manager ILO a clerk, I was able to buy ALL their .30-06 Fiocci ammo (JSP's) for $2 per 10-pack (blister pac), about half of their tagged price.

I STILL had some of that stuff (VG for hunting, BTW) left when I sold my last .30-06 a few years ago. :mrgreen:

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
6gun,

"Paid $69.00 for my first Winchester M94 in the 1970's bought it at a JC Penny store, back then Penny's had a great sporting goods department...."

Glad you posted that, I thought that my memory was playing dirty tricks on me when I remembered buying a Winchester M94 at a Woolworth store in 1972 for the grand sum of $79.99 !!!
I kept it hidden behind the seat of my pickup truck for several months before my first wife found out and made a stink about me buying it.

Myron

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
graygun said:
Was that price for the 333s or 525s? What brand of cat food did you buy?

I can imagine what the band of geeks look like that do the 0000-0700 wait shift.
My first thought also...did the cat get feed or will they have to wait? :roll: :D

6gun

Hunter
speedsixman said:
6gun,

"Paid $69.00 for my first Winchester M94 in the 1970's bought it at a JC Penny store, back then Penny's had a great sporting goods department...."

Glad you posted that, I thought that my memory was playing dirty tricks on me when I remembered buying a Winchester M94 at a Woolworth store in 1972 for the grand sum of $79.99 !!!
I kept it hidden behind the seat of my pickup truck for several months before my first wife found out and made a stink about me buying it.

Myron

Nope your mind was playing no tricks around $79.00 is what they went for and on sale around hunting season they were usually $69.00 at JC Penny, also bought a Springfield single shot 12ga.from them in the early 1970's for $35 still have both guns. :D

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Ok, for those worried about the cats' welfare, yes they did get their food! Meow Mix is the one they'll eat right now, but that can change. Any cat people here know how that goes!

Prices: $21.97 was for the 525 Remington package. The Winchester 333s were $17 and change.

And no contribution to oil wars this time, but for the next time they come around, Chevron Delo 400 is frequently on the list!

As for the kind of folks who spend the night there, I dunno what to say. I've seen guys waiting in the morning, who looked "just regular" and didn't appear to have been there all night. But any visit to Wally's after dark is an adventure, so maybe we'll see some of 'em on a future installment of "People of Wal-Mart!"

Rick C

RugerHound

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

Ok, for those worried about the cats' welfare, yes they did get their food! Meow Mix is the one they'll eat right now, but that can change. Any cat people here know how that goes!

Rick C

Yes we do! ;)

Since 2011 I have found .22 LR at Walmart exactly twice. Hoarders and gangs have a board lock on all the .22 LR ammo in Arizona as far as I can see.

They finally DO have a shelf for .22LR which is new. But my buddy at the counter tells me that they only get it about once a month, and there are people waiting for it when it comes in. Don't matter what time of day. They know it's there, they know how much, and they bring enough buyers to take it all... 100% of the time.

graygun

Hunter
Academy is the only place I've seen .22 lately and it's usually just the 50-rd boxes. He gets a discount (don't recall if it's 10 or 20%) and I think it was about $10 I paid him.

Milo is eating Iams but seems to like any dry food.

bogus bill

Hunter
I enjoy sitting on the bench and people watch in walmart while the wife shops. A couple days ago I had a odd thing happen I was sitting there a good half hour looking around when a woman walked up, said is that your money? She bent down and scooped up about six bills that were folded up on the floor! They weren't over three feet from where I was sitting. I said no, there yours now. I seen her go take them to the customer service.

Mike J

Hunter
Glad you found some .22 Rick. If it isn't too much trouble let me know how the Remington Golden Bullet stuff does now. I haven't shot any in about 5 or 6 years I got so many duds I gave up on it & switched to the Winchester. A few years ago I saw that they had supposedly improved it but I honestly haven't seen any to try & still had a grudge against it. But if it works well for you & I run across some I might have to give it another shot.

Thunderhawk

Single-Sixer
A little over a week ago, I was killing time before my wife's PT appointment. We live in the Mountain time zone, the Dr.'s office is in the Central time zone, and it's a 45 minute drive to get there. So I went back to sporting goods just to look and see what they had, It was a full load of .22LR and .22mag. I maxed out my 3 boxes of .22mag, then phoned my wife (in the other part of the store) to go get 3 boxes also. WOOOHOOO!!! I was jazzed.

Latest posts