Wal-Mart 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G-Mak

Bearcat
Is it for sure that Wal-Mart is going to discontinue the Wally-World Special 10/22?

Local Wal-Mart gun dept. salesman told me that Ruger quit shipping guns to them for a while, but they're starting to again.

What's the latest scoop on this?

I have two older 10/22 standard carbines...one from the 70's, one from the 80's...both bought new.

I'm thinking about getting a current Wally World 10/22 for the longer barrel, stainless, etc...I realize they have a crappy plastic trigger housing.

I think I can get one...I like buying things that are "no longer available".

What do you guys think?

Just be happy with my two older 10/22's?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I'd think the person at - gulp - Walmart would be the one to know. If it's still able to be ordered through them, I'd think that maybe they'd be sourceable.
I've yet to see any first hand reports of the polymer housing being actually inferior to the aluminum one. Seems it more of people not being able to accept change and being stuck more than anything. Have read a few reports of action jobs on these and they're turning out just as good as the aluminum ones.

Brother_Love

Single-Sixer
One of the shows on Outdoor channel talked about the polymer housing and did a test with it. It was informative. I believe it was G&A TV this past wednesday.
Malcolm

G-Mak

Bearcat
Brother_Love":sokl1v8n said:
One of the shows on Outdoor channel talked about the polymer housing and did a test with it. It was informative. I believe it was G&A TV this past wednesday.
Malcolm

So, what did they say???????

Brother_Love

Single-Sixer
They dropped a 4# weight on the metal & polymer housing. Metal broke, polymer did not. Their argument is it is stronger. The Ruger rep was very aware of all the negative comments but said the new was better and people will accept it after it's proven.

I was skeptical too. My brother recently bought anew 10/22 and I can tell no difference in realibility. WE disassembled his to install a rubber recoil lug and extended mag release. It was polymer but looked well made and strong.

Malcolm

G-Mak

Bearcat
Brother_Love":387xr2oy said:
They dropped a 4# weight on the metal & polymer housing. Metal broke, polymer did not. Their argument is it is stronger. The Ruger rep was very aware of all the negative comments but said the new was better and people will accept it after it's proven.

I was skeptical too. My brother recently bought anew 10/22 and I can tell no difference in realibility. WE disassembled his to install a rubber recoil lug and extended mag release. It was polymer but looked well made and strong.

Malcolm

Thanks Brother! :)

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
the only 10/22's I've seen at my local Walmart are the standard carbines, and then it's only one about every 6 months.

tango6

Bearcat
I bought my 10/22 at WM in 04. It is SS with walnut(?) stock and 22" barrel w/iron sights. I have had a local smith do a trigger job and it now has a 16oz pull with a trigger stop. I full length glass bedded it and put a tasco world class 4-16 AO scope on it. This is my squirrel gun but from the bench, at 50 yds, it will put 10 CCI Minimags into a group that can be covered by a dime or a nickle on a bad day.
I have ran roughly 3000-5000 rounds thru the gun w/o a hiccup. Great rifles and the price is hard to beat. I paid $198 for mine in 04 and they are now going for $238.00 locally.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Lipsey's buyers confirmed long ago that the 22" hardwood deluxe models were European cancellation/returns, when Wal-Mart buyers grabbed them up at heavy discounts. Reportedly that supply has run it's course now and the final 22" guns - plastic housings and blasted barrels - are ending also.

Rumors that WM is considering an exclusive quantity of SS 18" rifles w/dark green synthetic stocks sans barrel bands, has yet to be confirmed.

For the record - Wal-Mart always bought their Ruger guns via Lipsey's since 2001, never direct from Ruger.

G-Mak

Bearcat
mohavesam":3vf6xznw said:
Reportedly that supply has run it's course now and the final 22" guns - plastic housings and blasted barrels - are ending also.

Well, I took the plunge today...my local Wally World had one new in the box. Model 10/22-22...the "blasted barrel model", I'd say. I bought it. I'm happy with it. It's my 3rd 10/22. My first one was a standard carbine I bought new in 1977. The second one was my Dad's, also a standard carbine, so this makes three...

Funny thing though...I'm driving home from Wal-Mart with the new gun...this friend calls me on my cell phone and asks if I want to buy his 10/22!!!!

He bought it new in the early 1980's. He offered it to me for $75.00!!!! Says its hardly used...

Now, I can't pass up a deal like that, can I?????

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I bought my/my wife's WWS back in '06. At that time they were "going to discontinue the WWS, so you better get one now."

Back a few months ago I was told and a lot of people here apparently were also, that Wal-Mart was going to stop selling Ruger products due to a price increase. Sounds reasonable, but I have no way of knowing if it was true or not. I do know that I didn't see many Rugers on the rack at Wal-Mart for the last few months.

IF and I say IF they are starting to get guns from Ruger again, it would be reasonable to assume they reached a compromise on the price. The only way to know for sure would be to walk in and try to buy one I suppose.

Personally if I didn't have one, and wanted one, that's what I'd do. And watch for used ones to show up somewhere. I've only seen two used ones for sale however. They are very nice guns, plastic/metal, silver or black trigger, bright or matte finish, it doesn't matter really.

(Back when I got mine in '06, they had just switched from a silver colored trigger assembly to a black one. There was almost as big a storm over that was there was from the metal/plastic switch. :wink: )

You guys know the real truth about the plastic trigger group housing right? It was all Obama's doing.... his fault!

sorry could not help it, just came out. I think the plastic will end up proving itself.

G-Mak

Bearcat
Revolverman357":2j33v9el said:
Do/Did they make a shorter youth model 10/22? I'd kinda like to have one them, but have never seen one for sale around here. (IN).

As far as I know, the standard carbine is the shortest 10/22...somebody will correct me if that's not accurate.

G-Mak":1m4k500j said:
Is it for sure that Wal-Mart is going to discontinue the Wally-World Special 10/22?

Local Wal-Mart gun dept. salesman told me that Ruger quit shipping guns to them for a while, but they're starting to again.

What's the latest scoop on this?

I have two older 10/22 standard carbines...one from the 70's, one from the 80's...both bought new.

I'm thinking about getting a current Wally World 10/22 for the longer barrel, stainless, etc...I realize they have a crappy plastic trigger housing.

I think I can get one...I like buying things that are "no longer available".

What do you guys think?

Just be happy with my two older 10/22's?

All I know is...Here in the Willamette Valley, guns are long-gone at WalMart.

Then a few miles down the Columbia River, in a town called St. Helens, they still sell guns. I was just there, over the weekend, and they did have the Wally-World 10/22-22. It's at least a second-generation of this model, as it does have the plastic trigger group. And the price has gone up. $247.

WAYNO.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
G-Mak":kjnqhltw said:
Revolverman357":kjnqhltw said:
Do/Did they make a shorter youth model 10/22? I'd kinda like to have one them, but have never seen one for sale around here. (IN).

As far as I know, the standard carbine is the shortest 10/22...somebody will correct me if that's not accurate.

I think they do make a "youth" 10/22. Not necessarly the "Wally-World Special" but a standard 10/22 carbine, downsized with a shorter barrel and stock. I believe they call it a "compact" not a youth model.

I just checked the Ruger website. They list a 10/22CRR. Specifications as follows.

Ruger 10/22® rimfire autoloading rifles provide reliable performance with the following key features:

** America's favorite .22 rifle.

** High-speed, pivoted hammer for short lock time.

** Proven performance in a wide range of styles for every rimfire application.

** Barrel that is locked into the receiver by a unique two-screw V-block system.

** Unique, removable rotary magazine that offers superior reliability, no exposed magazine to dent and no uncomfortable protrusions at the rifle's balance point.

** Compact model features a shorter 16 1/8" barrel, short 12 3/4" length-of-pull, and correctly proportioned tapered forends with no barrel bands.

Revolverman357

Bearcat
Yeah, that compact model looks very interesting to me, thanks for checking the Ruger website, I'll have to check around at my dealers and see if they can get me one. Be a nice size a gun to have around.