wadcutter question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jgt

Buckeye
I think the bullet nose described as hollow point in the picture is listed in manuals as a "hollow cavity" bullet. Sometimes noted as an H.C. under the bullet used column.

Paul B

Hunter
"
I was given a box of 500 of these wadcutters years ago. No idea who the maker is. I've never seated them flush, always lightly crimped in the top groove. Over about three grains of Titegroup, my SP loves them.
IMG_3549.JPG

That bullet looks like either the Lyman #358495 that I cast or the H&G 110. I think that's the number for the H&G. I think RCBS may also provide that bullet.As the photo shows, that is the proper way to seat that bullet. Dunno what lube was used but I get my best results when I use lube ONLY in the bottom lube groove. That has worked quite well using the NRA 50-50 formula, Lyman Magic Orange and LBT Blue, the softer version.
Paul B.

JCK

Single-Sixer
That's a Lee mold. Cast cold, as the bases and bands aren't filled out well.
Bump up the temp, add a 18" long x 1/8"dia piece of 95/5 lead free solder and they'll cast BEAUTIFUL bullets! They're lubed with Lee tumble lube liquid alox. Those are full thickness. I prefer to cut my lube by 35% with mineral spirits. It gives a thinner more even coat. I've recently gone over to powder coating for an even better product.
Over the last 40yrs, I've cast over a million of them.
Worn out two molds. Working on two more.
Good bullets, CHEAP!

Last edited:

Rockrat75

Bearcat
Never seen the HST round before, but Midway did have some of the bullets themselves at one time.

Reactions: JCK

Paul B

Hunter
"That's a Lee mold."

Nice copy of the original Lyman. That's the one I shoot most of all. I still have several large coffee cans full to lube and size when I get time.
Paul B.

HBWC-Matts Bullets.jpg
I load these with the hollow base up sometimes. They are 152gr HBWC from Matts Bullets and are fairly soft, using Unique for the best accuracy. Bullet sits just proud of the case mouth with a Lee Factory Crimp die

tater salad

Bearcat
I cast my own 148 grain wadcutters using 2 different Lee molds. The dewc and the button nose wadcutter. I will powdercoat or I will lube them, just depends on my mood. I love those wadcutters a lot and would rather shoot those, than the Lee 158 grain swc I cast. I seat mine in the crimp groove, so about 1/16" or so sticks out of the brass.