W/M Special 10/22!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Just picked up this 10/22 from a guy I work with. Not a mark on it, Leupold 2-7x33 Rifleman scope, fancy sling, clear mag. He put 200 rounds through it. Picked up another clear mag and some CCI mini-mag at the LGS today. One happy camper here :D
1022.jpg

My son built a couple of nice custom 10/22s and already wants to trick it out. A bit lighter trigger would be nice otherwise I think it's about perfect as-is.

9x19

Hunter
I think you'll really like that rifle... I have a pair of the WM specials and they are among my favorites.

10/22 Rifle with a Leupold 3x-9x 40mm Vari-X II scope.
1022TR2.jpg

10/22 Rifle with a Simmons 4.5x-14x 40mm (AO) scope.
1022TR.jpg

theavrin

Bearcat
I've had my WM special for a couple of weeks now. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I was just in the man cave and put in a Yellow Jacket buffer and VQ auto bolt release in silver. I put a Simmons 22 mag 3-9 on it the other day. I just can't wait to get it out and run a few hundred through it. I'm thinking a VQ hammer would be next.

9x19

Hunter
ArmedinAZ":fyee4ljh said:
Thanks! A trip to son's house and now it's got an extended mag release and a poly bolt buffer. He says we should drill & tap the receiver to make cleaning easier. Thoughts?

I use a brass muzzle guard from Kleen-bore and clean from the front... haven't ever had an issue doing so.

I'd just pull a bore snake through the barrel from one direction or the other... I've read about drilling a hole in the back end but can't really see the justification... the truth is that I'm kind of of the mind that with copper jacketed ammo you really don't need to clean the barrel... just the bolt and receiver every so often.

One day I'm going to break down and 'build a 10/22 where the scope cost / is worth more than the rifle, just can't quite seem to make the plunge.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
Good choice. I've got one too, or my wife does. I had never wanted a 10/22 until I saw the WWS. Now I've got five of them.

As to drilling the hole for cleaning. I don't see much sense in it. I seldom clean the bore on a 22 anyway, so I get by with just a plain cleaning rod, from the muzzle, and taking my time. Never had a bit of problem.

I've never even seen one with the hole drilled, but that has to look like an ugly scar to me.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
CajunBass":19ljw2wy said:
I've never even seen one with the hole drilled, but that has to look like an ugly scar to me.

I guess you tap the hole and screw in a plug so it doesn't look too hillbilly. I don't like any mod you can't reverse back to stock.

Heading off to the shooting pit with visiting daughter and a Jeep full of guns for some quality time before she heads back to Ca. We checked out black shotguns at the LGS yesterday. Perfect Christmas present from dad :!:

9x19

Hunter
Correctly done, the cleaning hole would be below the stock, and unseen, when assembled.

joshheat25

Bearcat
Very nice looking stock on that rifle. They don't have any with that design in the wal marts around here.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
9x19":rbsxpv5b said:
Correctly done, the cleaning hole would be below the stock, and unseen, when assembled.

Ok. I've never been quite clear just WHERE that hole went. Still, no more than I clean a 22 I don't see much sense in it. I guess if you clean them a lot it would be different.

joshheat25":rbsxpv5b said:
Very nice looking stock on that rifle. They don't have any with that design in the wal marts around here.

That's pretty much the same as all the "Wally World Specials" I've seen. It's a very nice looking stock IMHO. When I got my second DSP with the walnut stock, my plan was to switch the stock from the WWS into the walnut stock, but I decided I liked the "white" stainless steel better in the lighter hardwood stock than I did in the darker walnut so I just left it alone.

His picture shows it better than mine, but the wood is about the same.

003.jpg

By the way. That's actually my wife's rifle. She might wack me up up side the head if I try to say it's "mine." :lol:

9x19

Hunter
CajunBass":6fnhfsq9 said:
9x19":6fnhfsq9 said:

Ok. I've never been quite clear just WHERE that hole went. Still, no more than I clean a 22 I don't see much sense in it. I guess if you clean them a lot it would be different.

Cajun,

The hole is drilled into the rear wall of the receiver... run a cleaning rod down the barrel and see where it hits the rear wall.... that's where you'd drill a 1/4" hole to allow the rod to enter from the rear.

theavrin":qm39ovr4 said:
I might be missing something here, but isn't there a bolt in the way of doing that?

Yes there is. But, after field stripping the gun, the bolt will no longer be there. Then, you can run a cleaning rod thru the barrel, from the breach end, without damaging the crown.

WAYNO.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
9x19":itj2wvsu said:
Cajun,

The hole is drilled into the rear wall of the receiver... run a cleaning rod down the barrel and see where it hits the rear wall.... that's where you'd drill a 1/4" hole to allow the rod to enter from the rear.

As soon as I read your original comment about where it went, I realized that it HAD to go right where you said. Duhhhh. Just never really thought about it too much. I was always "Drill a hole? Yea right... Not a chance."

I've never had a problem running a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. I take my time, work steady and only do it about once every presidental administration.

9x19

Hunter
Cajun',

None of mine are drilled either, I just use a brass muzzle guard... and I only clean the barrel when the accuracy drops off... the action gets attention more often.