Volquartsen V-Comp for Ruger standard tapered barrels

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WatchmanUSA

Bearcat
I have seen that Volquartsen has come out with a V-Comp for a Ruger Mark 2 Standard that fits a tapered barrel. I hear that it doesn't require any gunsmithing because it secures to the barrel using two set screws.

Does anyone have one? Does it work well?

Nogunsmith4me

Single-Sixer
I seing one at the range the other day, some kid had one installed on his MKII, and beside the silly looks that makes the gun looks like those old 1950's space movies or The Jetson's Ray gun, it's also a "lead trap", hard to clean. There is no other advantage for the average or casual shooter/plinker..useless, only good for display. Just how much advantage does a compensator give for a .22?? They don't have that much recoil anyway. Might as well spend the money in better internal parts, a nice pair of grips or ammo.

WatchmanUSA

Bearcat
Nogunsmith4me, thanks for the input. I shoot in a .22 pistol league so I'm trying to improve my scores for few bucks rather than buy a new gun. When shooting the strings that are 5 shots in ten seconds, quickly reacquiring the target for the next shot is critical. The MK2 Standard with the tapered barrel has declining weight down the barrel.

As to fowling, because the league is a competition I do a basic clean and lude after every match and a field strip cleaning and lubrication after every couple of matches. Depending on how many shots I take in warm-up before the match might I do the complete cleaning every week.

By adding a red dot sight over the iron sights I picked up about 100 points. When I changed to better ammo I picked up about 70 points. I'm trying evaluate if a V-Comp for a tapered barrel could help me pick up a few more points. It runs less that $50 so it is much cheaper that getting a new gun.

Nogunsmith4me

Single-Sixer
In .22 rapid fire competition they probably make a difference but what self copetition shooter has the "standard" model with fixed sights?....unless they change sights to adjustable but I think is not worth it............(just my opinion)