Volquartsen sear

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chuck4570

Bearcat
How much benifit is there to using the Volquartsen sear, and the factory trigger on a Ruger MKII. I like the position of the factory trigger, and would like to start there.

Chuck

Geezer

Single-Sixer
By changing the factory sear to a Volquartsen sear makes a world of difference. It will lighten the trigger pull quite a bit, usually 2-2 1/2 lbs. The Volquartsen trigger will allow you to take up the pre-travel and over-travel easily without having to disassemble the pistol, once it is installed.

wwb

Hunter
In addition to the sear, get the Volquartsen hammer as well. It's matched to their sear, and will result in a crisper let-off than the VQ sear with the Ruger hammer.

Places like Midway, Natchez, or Brownell's sell all three (hammer, sear, and trigger) as a kit for about $90 if I recall the price correctly.

Try it.... you won't believe the difference.

96/44

Blackhawk
I put a Volquartsen trigger, hammer, sear and spring kit in my MKII a few years ago, after wearing out the factory sear. I will never own another one without it. It is like a whole new gun, it is just so much easier to shoot well with a good trigger. It is well worth it IMHO.

snobord99

Bearcat
In the words of someone on another forum, "Holy Jesus Christ monkey balls fantastic!"

I just got the sear and it feels fantastic. I don't know how it is with the hammer also, but I imagine it's probably not worth the $40 or so it costs. I don't think the amount better it could possibly get would justify the cost.

billbe

Bearcat
I would get one. They do make a difference. That is what's so good about the MKII, there are lots of after market parts that make an improvement. I got one from Volquartsen once that made the trigger pull around #1. That was way too light. I sent it back for an exchange with no problem. The customer service at Volquartsen is something you can't find much anymore. Great company and great employees. I also have the Volquartsen hammer which is a great match to the sear. Well worth it for bullseye shooting.

alizard

Bearcat
The Ruger sear and hammer can be worked by a competent smith to where the performance is as good as the VQ, with the exception that the VQ trigger has a pretravel adjust which the stock trigger does not (the stock trigger does have an overtravel adjust only).

As for drop in with no rework, the VQ parts do improve performance.